Nissan Frontier as family expedition vehicle?

Mpl1978

I am in the market for a second use vehicle, one that I can have fun on the weekend and take long trips this summer. Is the backseat similar in size to the Tacoma? Is this too small to comfortably carry 4 people on an east coast tour? Tia

justbecause

perpetually lost
the frontier is better than the tacoma in every single way. I drove a fully loaded 2012 tacoma for over a year. It cannot compare to my pro4x.
We are a family of 4, we had to shop and carefully chose 2 car seats that work well for us. I am happy with it, I only wish I had a 6ft bed, and doubling the payload wouldnt hurt my feelings.

ne_dan

Got to agree that for the money it's tough to beat the frontier. My wife has a 15' Xterra Pro 4x, and I have a 19' Frontier Pro 4x. Yes there's a bigger aftermarket support for the Tacoma but you can still get what you need/want.

There's only a few complaints I with the frontier, I wish it had a 6' bed, gas mileage isn't going to be as good as the new Tacoma but it's within 1-2 mpg it is basically a 14 year old truck and the windshield is as fragile as fine china. Two windshields in a year due to all the road construction that's going on around me. Back to the older design, I'm actually happy that i don't have the latest and greatest "safety tech". I'm not sure how people drive with the little blinds pot icon in the rear view mirrors. I'm biased because I have two Nissan's but I'll never go back to Toyota after the frame rot problem I had on my 2004 Tacoma, 5 years and the frame had to be replaced.

Mpl1978

How is the payload- seems like it is over 1000 if my memory is correct. I want to add a leitner design rack, w boxes, a rtt, and possibly a decked system. Am I pushing it with a family of 4 and those specs?

D

Deleted member 9101

Well...it really depends on the size of the people that are going to be in the back seat.

Mpl1978

At this point they are 6 +8 boys........and as much as I would love them to stay that age, they are certainly growing like weeds. I see the value in the full size trucks, however you get a much newer, less mileage nissan frontier. An '18 frontier pro4x with 25k miles is going for 24k in my market. Alternatively, a 2007 tundra with 115k miles, although one owner is 18k.

Josh41

Adventurer
We have been using or 2016 Frontier CCLWB for years hauling all sorts of stuff, 1 kid in elementary and a big 70 lb dog. We are very happy with the truck,. What you are describing sounds great and doable, the truck has plenty of power, we have been to the Rockies and back to east coat three times with no issues. I do suggest the 4 door with the 6 foot bed. It is not available in the Pro4X model, just SV. As far as weight goes, you have to subtract out the people and any other stuff you have in the truck, so even if you have a 1200 lb payload, you will really only have about 700# or so to play with. With our AT Habitat , gear and bikes, we are right at the limit (but so are the Tacos). We did upgrade to HD OME Springs and I do have air bags (but you don't really need the bags).
This has a 3 inch lift and the P4X sized tires for reference.
20190908_162011.jpg What you're

jpat30

Adventurer
I agree with all of the above statements as well. When my son was still young, I drove an 08 Frontier CCLB. I loved that truck and it did everything that we ever asked of it and more. Now that my son is grown and no longer traveling with us, my wife and I have a 17 Frontier KC 4x4. I looked at Tacomas and every other midsize truck out there, but for the money compared to what you get for it, the Nissan won out. I think you and your family will be very happy with one. Good Luck!

D

Deleted member 9101

At this point they are 6 +8 boys........and as much as I would love them to stay that age, they are certainly growing like weeds. I see the value in the full size trucks, however you get a much newer, less mileage nissan frontier. An '18 frontier pro4x with 25k miles is going for 24k in my market. Alternatively, a 2007 tundra with 115k miles, although one owner is 18k.

For 24k you can get a used F150 that has muuuch more interior room and if you get the 2.7 or 3.5 it will get the same if not better fuel economy.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Personally, If a fullsize (Tundra, Titan, F150, RAM, Silverado...take your pick...) will fit where you need it to, I'd go that route. With two growing kids I think you'll outgrow that truck.

(Had an '03 Xterra Supercharged and loved it but, the Suburban we got after worked better for our needs)

But, that's just my opinion as a father of two that also travels with a dog. If you've driven the Frontier with everyone on board and it works for you, have at it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you driving now and how do you find it during road trips?

goFWD

We still have a teenager, a pre-teen, and a toddler (w/ rear facing car seat) at home (all girls), and they all fit without issue in the backseat. Granted, the teenager and pre-teen are petite like their mother. If anything, we need more power outlets for charging all the d@mn electronic devices they tote around. If you don't try to take the kitchen sink with you, there's plenty of room; however, I'm used to going camping and on road trips on a motorcycle, so I know how to pack light. We're currently exploring the idea of getting an off-road teardrop style trailer, but that has nothing to do with the Frontier not being capable of meeting our current needs.

Mpl1978

I currently drive a 2wd expedition, but I want to get something that I can have ready to go at a moments notice, all loaded up. I plan on longer camping trips in the summer and winter camping here at home, south Florida, this winter.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I currently drive a 2wd expedition, but I want to get something that I can have ready to go at a moments notice, all loaded up. I plan on longer camping trips in the summer and winter camping here at home, south Florida, this winter.

I would expect you to be pretty disappointed in the amount of room if you downsize. Have you considered a Pathfinder or the Armada? I'm not sure how much more room, if any, the Pathfinder has than the frontier. I've never been in one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier