Night-Vision Lights Project

MattJ

Adventurer
Yes, they cast deep, red light. And plenty of it! But I realized a couple things:

1) They face forward, and I always set up my camping gear behind my Jeep since that's where the cargo bay, fridge and everything else is.

2) They are directional, so they do cast shadows, unlike overhead lights. So if a group of Scouts were setting up tents in the glow of the red lights, the Scouts toward the back of the area would be in the shadows of the closer tents and wouldn't be able to see well.

1000arms

Yes, they cast deep, red light. And plenty of it! But I realized a couple things:

1) They face forward, and I always set up my camping gear behind my Jeep since that's where the cargo bay, fridge and everything else is.

2) They are directional, so they do cast shadows, unlike overhead lights. So if a group of Scouts were setting up tents in the glow of the red lights, the Scouts toward the back of the area would be in the shadows of the closer tents and wouldn't be able to see well.

At least you got the light you wanted! ?

You could solve #1 by remounting at the back, but to solve #2 you might need a heavy duty collapsible paint pole and some lightweight lights (or aerial flares). ?

MattJ

Adventurer
I used the lenses this weekend at a Scout event. They worked great and took less than 1 minute to set up. I flooded a field with deep red light for a game of Capture the Flag that had been re-worked into Martians versus Aliens (hence the red light). The Scouts loved it!

y4myBGvgfR9aZbLDsCahI8uDtip-KuYi9iZiRobXYBreApyffuKSXxcOtJzdiasFytFeuqw0BX47yXoudkrCDg4TK9I3eIcqeov7TI8Fv2MRulV3Y0asuKLkT8uIGTG0uD6rJqyblDFYrW8FGg71PsVTefzIciAMCuP3_5TlrUWQpu030Hcslg-icm9Hsoi2P1uis_ZVen57vRoxK_ByWN9oQ

NEwhere

Bro, if you aren't an eagle scout I grant you an honorary membership, unless you dont want it I'd understand lol. That is an awesome idea I'm gonna steal!

MattJ

Adventurer
Bro, if you aren't an eagle scout I grant you an honorary membership, unless you dont want it I'd understand lol. That is an awesome idea I'm gonna steal!

Thanks! Not only am I a proud Eagle Scout, I have spent the last two years building the world's first BSA Expedition Vehicle ("BEV"). It is a project that I dreamed up to get kids excited about Scouting and overlanding, my two favorite things! I should probably start a separate thread about the entire project from start to finish. I'll be part of a Chrysler exhibition at the World Scout Jamboree next summer: 70,000 Scouts from 140 countries . . . lots of future Jeep customers!

y4mNe89yWf7yimYxj4yxs_prMTaUfdQCmtgY7bpYaC3ku8gR90a0FOyfh3Itw0fHKMOP-iwCyJnsJa16Vg2OByfcMxjIDTs_WcsfzQJy1RUB5q3vbcaEfMQBgJYU-vDLoqqNOTSVzERJJWc66qxZyl6o03HQ8JMYDD0fvkToP0Uyjxm6-ZuoWmIb6rbTsySWsqPfmUM5lDx8cbSKlTWq7jZQg

y4mMz2RVawjLXCxoa3iT5els0Kqofu0BNWHnDIOnYrpSEdXUDlcoMgCj5_X9iGck6I92xx9EMia9ufQEOATxlSs61r49XPlECpPu1FFcLgsEAl4ELO831C5Fjx1_SWtDUtVIJd6z8JUeXLohMQg8KMdBJxfGJrcCnsFj2thQdUDAyofgc1TKXh6v2pkOd1yCXGuBAuFCFpwuuZPw9v01ROhxw

y4mZP6wgo4xJqs2nfgW-DEEbi1oMGA6xGoJ423zSqlw3w9zVo2buHFtAvfyM1G3bkOEqXttxfgIqk9nu1onksux1R2dGuVLF4JOZtOAz7zCYaU_HnLjJ6srqWL6fyx9PtXdxzkTUiempTj53KDxCWQLvGp_UBudc3YlWs8YBogWWwFYjRH4koogD2uYZfK_159ixt6cUPywGBa8Uz7eqHr1Gg

y4mivX9iJmUZ3aaPk69OSOcMsekkt3T4shtLvS4fCwsUOE9EsvH5xvcmCQ74zhLB8rNElp3MA8qF5HB6808ZaDUO2H_w1vJ5Yxa8GzZqQVWFf-750ke2_lZNKNQ-Ke5naUc77vDcaVQ-Pc7agY8qmBlm4k2URFCIWZoJzRogBPScdsBN6zSAxN6ULiXlINg--x9TI4h0G98J_pRx4K2e4_Nbw

Bruce988jl

Hey Matt
Good meeting you this weekend at the fall crawl - did a bit of poking around on here as I'm not normally active mostly lurking. I saw this project of yours come up. I have been passively researching something similar for the Rigid Scene led lights I have mounted to my roof rack. As much as I love having them - their light is still super blinding and obviously white light. I wonder if there is anyway to replace the lens or paint the lens red (I have a set of knock off rigid scene lights I could strip down to test). Did you try the dychem on plastic lens' by any chance?
-Jason
(Blue tacoma with the Tepui)

MattJ

Adventurer
Did you try the dychem on plastic lens' by any chance?

I did try the Dykem on Lexan lenses, but the heat from my Warn lights melted them. You wouldn't have that problem with LED lights. Some thoughts:

1) Wear breathing protection. The warning label on Dykem is four paragraphs long.

2) Design a solution that is removable (not permanent) since most jurisdictions have laws that prohibit driving with red lights. I only use mine when parked (and on Halloween when driving 3mph for trick-or-treating).

3) The Dykem is very thin, more like colored water than paint, so you won't get a nice, even finish. When you add a second coat, it will etch into the first coat and you will get some streaking and puddles. It still works great for creating a red filter, but just don't expect it to look perfect.

4) The Dykem isn't weatherproof. Over time, it wore off my lights. I'm sure the heat didn't help. If you're only using the Dykem lenses for occasional night trail runs or camping, it should last a long time.

y4mVWUiNY7JiAspUw93YA76EISBhy5TUqJ7eDgWwGcAmwMHJNG8cqz79dW5QZHeVY9AzEtf_V_rXrd45fvgdJryMPIL5AkbHlsMLBNzW1MkvQAvNjmMGk0PNto0riPJ5hxTkTgnHj9Zyw5Tu4g5Y1bGhEgfFIE--eCP3gRB1rDW4Xe79z7bZtxXKItXXc5PUiItGCIjJKcLlxo8gqe27zCRcA

y4m96UAwQDdCAWoJj8nhGOhpgu4q7qPVNaNqFyvET5p5jllPRTZl-P2kMmjCJNYgQ3PZIe_DBbKTWT1AzONex7O7MkJOPoaq3mt8u5skVcPKDD7MJDBYj8kVJUqkSy3fLHIs2fNuunoAcadlu9e9a0bsVeLZl6a9Cv7XxqlnXjmURNgVrdmK1CGr-TZ4AVV_mfCIZ-4zyyJuraXuyI-w2kTTg

y4mjYjvXEt3S-kLxUp_awn47BGn4g3my5z20juBsGLVZqYWp82dd0aP9iU7FG2bGhKaOPUT8XGuadEOXtzSJyJfLzau2r48wNWIqb80GdpdGjeDpIX6aCBwC3pjiPXEhwciD6_ObupHKfNWaCldj6AIrtjMD7XagMWF9mYAbZa_i-b1obLu4oyYqTue3HQgBV8V3TOKpVMYOniTxATyOsBB3w

y4mXh3RoGdWtoSL7M3pUYj1CRtDZxAuSnc62yel4JjIk7_bXyH1NCs2tP08WfUxQtPuUXF_5_IOnt9Sn2w98_5Oag5ieP4-YPELFlPyDiFKe5Z_OCgWaW4GE1uoFXEV1HsxwucNoeRmuE_Rn-P6KPiMw1B06fuiaSM99i92m_Qfg-kHt9qn3nEBSQMqmSfzzLWBZHe0wphB3f1Fp5g95KnHHg

Bruce988jl

I did try the Dykem on Lexan lenses, but the heat from my Warn lights melted them. You wouldn't have that problem with LED lights. Some thoughts:

1) Wear breathing protection. The warning label on Dykem is four paragraphs long.

2) Design a solution that is removable (not permanent) since most jurisdictions have laws that prohibit driving with red lights. I only use mine when parked (and on Halloween when driving 3mph for trick-or-treating).

3) The Dykem is very thin, more like colored water than paint, so you won't get a nice, even finish. When you add a second coat, it will etch into the first coat and you will get some streaking and puddles. It still works great for creating a red filter, but just don't expect it to look perfect.

4) The Dykem isn't weatherproof. Over time, it wore off my lights. I'm sure the heat didn't help. If you're only using the Dykem lenses for occasional night trail runs or camping, it should last a long time.

I plan on using them for the scene lights I have mounted to my roof rack. Next time we meet up I'll show you what I mean so these can only be turned on from the outside of the vehicle when stationary. Hopefully the cops don't bother me on that nonsense. I bought some red filter film to try before the dychem so we will see how that works.

MattJ

Adventurer
OK - I wish I knew you were working on this project before we met last weekend. I've got a container of red Dykem I could have given you! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier