Night Shots of Camp

Lost Roadie

i-zmFDmFS-X3.jpg

i-FZBmxs3-X3.jpg

JESSE A

Adventurer
Here another was not out typical camp, it was a base camp style trip so all the family was able to come out. Thanksgiving about a month ago. More photos on Instagram @bluedog_co
IMG_20181121_223628_718.jpg

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Here's a few not of camp, but from camp or where I slept for the night in my van:

silhouette of photographer with tripod under starry sky in the borderlands of West Texas
#CelestialMadman - I'd stay up all night in some places when the light was right.

In this case, there was a security light that came on for a bit every three minutes to discourage illegal activity coming up from the border, I'm assuming. The sudden light would ruin my night sky shots, so I changed my goals and used it to make this silhouette. I had to wonder if there wasn't a observation cam out there somewhere, too, as not long after I set up and started shooting, border patrol showed up.

He was cool, though, after I showed him the images I'd been making all over the area.

This one below is a single frame image, no stacking or tracking. The Yuccas in the image are about nine-ten feet tall.

Milky Way over giant Yucca plants in the Chihuahuan Desert
Altuda Texas

roaddude_chisospanoramic sunrise in Chihuahuan Desert
A panorama made along the Mexican border just as dawn was breaking. I liked the solitary yucca stalk.

Off-grid trailer with awning and rooftop tent basecamp in Chihuahuan Desert
Basecamp in the Borderlands. This is single frame, no stacking, as well. Besides the ipod on one of the trailer struts, this image is lit entirely by my propane fire ring on the ground and one small led in the RTT. That's the very beginning of light from the rising sun behind the bush at left.

All in all I explored this hundred mile stretch of the border for seventeen weeks.

Because folks keep asking, I'm considering leading a few small-group night sky workshops early next year, and may do some guide work, too, around the general borderlands area, if anyone is interested. I've taught photography and lighting for years, and have been traveling the borderlands for years, so am more than comfortable being a guide and/or workshop leader.

Last edited:
Here's a few not of camp, but from camp or where I slept for the night in my van:

View attachment 533634
#CelestialMadman - I'd stay up all night in some places when the light was right.

In this case, there was a security light that came on for a bit every three minutes to discourage illegal activity coming up from the border, I'm assuming. The sudden light would ruin my night sky shots, so I changed my goals and used it to make this silhouette. I had to wonder if there wasn't a observation cam out there somewhere, too, as not long after I set up and started shooting, border patrol showed up.

He was cool, though, after I showed him the images I'd been making all over the area.

This one below is a single frame image, no stacking or tracking. The Yuccas in the image are about nine-ten feet tall.

View attachment 533635
Altuda Texas

View attachment 533637
A panorama made along the Mexican border just as dawn was breaking. I liked the solitary yucca stalk.

View attachment 533645
Basecamp in the Borderlands. This is single frame, no stacking, as well. Besides the ipod on one of the trailer struts, this image is lit entirely by my propane fire ring on the ground and one small led in the RTT. That's the very beginning of light from the rising sun behind the bush at left.

All in all I explored this hundred mile stretch of the border for seventeen weeks.

Because folks keep asking, I'm considering leading a few small-group night sky workshops early next year, and may do some guide work, too, around the general borderlands area, if anyone is interested. I've taught photography and lighting for years, and have been traveling the borderlands for years, so am more than comfortable being a guide and/or workshop leader.

Great photos "dude"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles