Nickel metal hybride battery

javajoe79

Fabricator
Feel free to talk me out of this.

I have access to several hybrid battery packs from a customer who dismantles cars. The two I have sitting here are 300v and 5.5ah. They are made up of mutiple 6 volt sticks in series. If I took them apart to create a 12v system I end up with about 137ah right?

Anyway, I'm not sure these batteries are good for this application as they require a special charger. Does anyone know of a charger compatible with solar and an alternator that would charge these safely?

I am curious too. I thought hybrid vehicles used a different type of battery from the Lithium series. I was thinking about what happens in the salvage yards to hybrid vehicles and their batteries. I know fire and rescue have to treat them different due to the high voltage and high short circuit current potential. Arc flash is a real danger in these.

john61ct

Adventurer
LFP is the only non-lead chemistry suitable for mobile House bank usage.

Others are unsafe outside their original engineered context and/or have very short longevity.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
NIMH is not suitable for charging with off-grid type sources. It needs a voltage differential trigger for full-charge, and needs high charge rates (around 0.5C). It also gets quite warm the last 30% of charging. NIMH also has a memory and rock content issues, which require a specific discharge regime before recharging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier