Next Vehicle

ADVSubaru

Observer
I was sort of in the same boat. I was shopping Toyota's and I just refused to pay the money for them at the mileage they were at. Ended up learning more about the GX470 and a few weeks later I purchased one and I've already modifying it to fit my needs. The rear airbags do fail but you can cheapy do a coil spring conversion with stock takeoff 4Runner or FJ Cruiser springs and a $250 coilspring conversion kit. The great thing about the GX470 is that it shares so many parts with other platforms that replacement parts are reasonably priced and readily available from most places.

The drivetrain in them are incredibly bulletproof and finding one that’s been well maintained is also surprisingly easy. You can go to MyLexus (you’ll need an account) and put in the VIN to add it to your “Garage”. When you do this, you can see every maintenance history that was done through Lexus. Most I looked at had every maintenance interval done on time and that’s something you don’t really see with Toyotas. Not to mention the only time most GX's have ever seen off-road use is when they run up over a curb at the Starbucks drive thru ;).

The big hurdle IMO is navigation equipped models as they everything runs through them (including climate controls). There are companies out there that sell Tesla style replacement units for like $600 but it is something you should be aware of. The other issue is that it does have an 8” rear. Stock the GX470 weighs near 5K and combined with the V8, destroying the ring and pinion in the rear does happen. However, you can get a rear from a 2010+ FJ Cruiser or a 4Runner (forget the exact years) which have an 8.2” and they literally just bolt up (assuming the gear ratio is the same). If you're looking at them, timing belt, water pump, idlers need be done ever 90k miles.

Both are great options and I wouldn’t have any qualms about buying either but you really need to figure out what your needs are. I ended up opting for the GX due to selling price:mileage ratio, better and consistent maintenance records, and MUCH more comfortable seating accommodations.

Attachments

• IMG_20200116_141550.jpg
    IMG_20200116_141550.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49

Dalko43

Explorer
Depends on what you want:

- Refinement, comfortable ride and interior with a good dose of 4x4 capability? Get the Lexus....the 4runner/Prado/GX platform is hands-down a better-built vehicle over the Tacoma. Don't worry about the maintenance...as others have pointed out, that 4.7l (or at least variations of it) have gone more than 1million miles. Getting 350k+ miles out of that platform should be a given.

-Good and relatively cheap 4x4 pickup to own and maintain? get the Tacoma.

The Tacoma, even the newer gen, just isn't all that comfortable to drive or use day-to-day...and that's not a knock on the suspension itself but a few intangible factors that add up (high-reving v6, less sound-proofing, awkward seating position). If Toyota could fix the engine and the seating position (which is partly related to the low roof line) I might consider a Tacoma...but given its current state, not interested.

phsycle

Adventurer
Depends on what you want:

- Refinement, comfortable ride and interior with a good dose of 4x4 capability? Get the Lexus....the 4runner/Prado/GX platform is hands-down a better-built vehicle over the Tacoma. Don't worry about the maintenance...as others have pointed out, that 4.7l (or at least variations of it) have gone more than 1million miles. Getting 350k+ miles out of that platform should be a given.

-Good and relatively cheap 4x4 pickup to own and maintain? get the Tacoma.

The Tacoma, even the newer gen, just isn't all that comfortable to drive or use day-to-day...and that's not a knock on the suspension itself but a few intangible factors that add up (high-reving v6, less sound-proofing, awkward seating position). If Toyota could fix the engine and the seating position (which is partly related to the low roof line) I might consider a Tacoma...but given its current state, not interested.

There he goes again. Parroting what he reads on the Internet. Have you daily driven the new Tacoma? Extended drives?
No, it’s not as comfortable as a LC, Grand Cherokee, or F150, but it’s no less comfortable than a 4Runner. Especially with the power seats.

Dalko43

Explorer
There he goes again. Parroting what he reads on the Internet. Have you daily driven the new Tacoma? Extended drives?
No, it’s not as comfortable as a LC, Grand Cherokee, or F150, but it’s no less comfortable than a 4Runner. Especially with the power seats.

The Tacoma's seats can't be adjusted for most of the model years, and NVH is a lot worse...its not the same as a 4runner. I've driven both.

bkg

Explorer

Parroting? He's correct...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have to agree with @Dalko43 here, the Tacoma seating position is flatter and lower to the floor, it isn't as comfortable as the 4Runner due to the angle of your legs. This is subjective and personal opinions may differ but I think that most agree that the 4Runner has a better seating position and leg angle.

My complaints with the 3rd Gen Tacoma platform aren't so much the seating position or small back seats but more or less the frame, rear drum brakes, and motor/transmission combo.

phsycle

Adventurer
Parroting? He's correct...

According to who? Internet people? I drove the 3rd gen for 2+ years. Seating position was fine. Now that it’s got power seats, it should resolve issues with different body proportions.

phsycle

Adventurer
I have to agree with @Dalko43 here, the Tacoma seating position is flatter and lower to the floor, it isn't as comfortable as the 4Runner due to the angle of your legs. This is subjective and personal opinions may differ but I think that most agree that the 4Runner has a better seating position and leg angle.

My complaints with the 3rd Gen Tacoma platform aren't so much the seating position or small back seats but more or less the frame, rear drum brakes, and motor/transmission combo.

I’ve had 2 4Runners prior to the 3rd gen Tacoma. Other than the adjustability of power seats, can’t tell much difference in comfort.

The auto trans wasn’t that great, I’d have to say. 8-sp in our Sienna is much better mated to the 3.5. But the engine itself is just fine. Especially with a manual. Brakes were just fine as well, for the record. No difference compared to the 4Runner.

bkg

Explorer
According to who? Internet people? I drove the 3rd gen for 2+ years. Seating position was fine. Now that it’s got power seats, it should resolve issues with different body proportions.

So because *you* think it's okay and "should be fixed" with power seats, no one else can say the seating position isn't good?

Or... does the fact that he and I agree on our opinions from being in both trump your single example?

phsycle

Adventurer
So because *you* think it's okay and "should be fixed" with power seats, no one else can say the seating position isn't good?

Or... does the fact that he and I agree on our opinions from being in both trump your single example?

Only credible opinions would be from people who actually owned one and/or ridden extensively in one.

Let me throw the question back at you. Because you two think it’s terrible, no one else can say otherwise?

This is yet, another example of Internet-driven non-issue issue. 3.5 will blow up if you don’t install a catch can. Drum brakes will have you careening off a cliff. Give me a break. Go ride in one for more than around the block then report back. No, not everyone will find it comfortable. That’s true of every make/model. But it’s not an issue for the majority.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Only credible opinions would be from people who actually owned one and/or ridden extensively in one.

Let me throw the question back at you. Because you two think it’s terrible, no one else can say otherwise?

This is yet, another example of Internet-driven non-issue issue. 3.5 will blow up if you don’t install a catch can. Drum brakes will have you careening off a cliff. Give me a break. Go ride in one for more than around the block then report back. No, not everyone will find it comfortable. That’s true of every make/model. But it’s not an issue for the majority.

you can't state it's a non-issue, complain that anyone who disagrees with you is listening to internet fallacies... just saying, your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's... but discounting everyone else's because you disagree is dumb.

I’ve had 2 4Runners prior to the 3rd gen Tacoma. Other than the adjustability of power seats, can’t tell much difference in comfort.

The auto trans wasn’t that great, I’d have to say. 8-sp in our Sienna is much better mated to the 3.5. But the engine itself is just fine. Especially with a manual. Brakes were just fine as well, for the record. No difference compared to the 4Runner.

I think the 3.5 in the Tacoma is a different engine than the 3.5 in the Sienna (transverse vs longitudal, FWD/AWD vs RWD/4WD).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
I think the 3.5 in the Tacoma is a different engine than the 3.5 in the Sienna (transverse vs longitudal, FWD/AWD vs RWD/4WD).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different tuning and maybe some small differences, but they are both 2GRFKS. But the point is, 8-sp is a good transmission for that engine.

phsycle

Adventurer
Drum brakes suck. Do they stop the truck, yes, but they have no business being on a $40K+ truck in 2020.

But why do they suck? I'm not trying to argue with you. I wouldn't mind if the Tacoma had disc brakes. My main reason would be the ease of brake service. But performance wise? Really can't give a good reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles