Next Vehicle

Downs16

I am struggling with my next purchase. I have been leasing Tacomas, they're so damned expensive, and I am considering jumping from a Tacoma to a Lexus 470 GX. Is this a sound decision for a daily driver, small camper tower and occasional off road fun? If so, are there any years I need to avoid or search out? Thank you!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
You'll probably take a hit on MPG's compared to a Tacoma. I would think the LC should have no problem towing. Off road isn't fun for me in a nearly 6 figure vehicle but I guess the price on a used one will be closer to that of a new Tacoma. Guessing you'll be buying the Lex rather than leasing? It's probably going to be more expensive to maintain than the Taco. Will a Toyota dealer be able to fully service the Lexus? It's nearly the same critter as a Land Cruiser but sometimes the "lesser" dealers don't have full access to parts and service info for their more expensive cousins...

The Lexus is a Land Cruiser 120 series. Will hold up better than the Taco with the bed supports that crack over time. Just keep up on the Timing belt, Transmission Drain and fills, Oil changes, Coolant Exchanges (especially with the Toyota Super Long Life pink) and change out the rear air bags for coil springs, and you'll be good to go.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
The only things I would worry about are the electronic whiz bang gizmos in the interior and the load leveling suspension as mentioned above.

The only things I would worry about are the electronic whiz bang gizmos in the interior and the load leveling suspension as mentioned above.

Other than the ride control, there aren't more gizmo's than even the newer Tacoma has. Specifically the traction/terrain control. Other than that, the 2006 GX is pretty basic to today's vehicle standards. I would stay away from the new 4.6L and 5.7L engines from the GX/LX/Tundra because over time they leak oil from there the cylinder head and camshaft cradle are mated. Once they start to leak, the entire top end has to be pulled apart to reseal them and it is not a cheap repair. If you don't fix it, oil consistently burns off the exhaust manifolds.

JeanetteA

Lexus GX
I own the third year a soft calm reliable eats around the city 18 on the highway 14 in principle a very reliable and practical car from a friend of the Prado it is simpler in terms of noise and quality of the interior

phsycle

Adventurer
How about a 4Runner? Simpler and not as much “fluff” as the Lexus.

Tacoma bed spread issue is a bit overblown, by the way. Spend 15 minutes to install the supports if it becomes an issue. Personally, I like having a truck, so if I were in your shoes, I’d just buy out the Tacoma you’re leasing now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9101

I'm looking at a 2006 Lexus with 125,000 for 10k. Tired of leasing, just didn't know if the Lexus would hold up.

Is this going to be your daily driver and how mechanically inclined are you? You are looking at a 14 year old vehicle that's already into six figure mileage. It might be fine... It might need work every weekend to be reliable...50/50 chance.

01tundraAC

GX470's are are very reliable as far as drive train goes. The 2uz and 5 speed is rock solid. Only thing I would worry about is the airbags, they are fairly easy to replace along with the associated sensors. You can also swap them out for coils if you want. If you keep up standard maintenance, and feel comfortable with basic mechanic projects (replacing a radiator, oil changes, suspension work) the truck should last well over 200k.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
GX470 is a great option if it has been maintained properly and is in good overall condition. I also second the idea of considering buying out your lease on your Tacoma as an alternative.

Downs16

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's a tough decision. I am not, however, mechanically inclined. Perhaps the new Tacoma is a better choice.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's a tough decision. I am not, however, mechanically inclined. Perhaps the new Tacoma is a better choice.

How about a certified pre owned? Cheaper than new usually comes with a better warranty.

BrewsterII

Mrmrswelch said it best, it's a 120 series Land Cruiser.

If the truck has been maintained properly, you will be amazed with it.

The mileage is a non issue for a well maintained Toyota/Lexus.

Take it for a spin, you probably won't look back! ;)

Last edited:

tdferrero

The 4.7 will outlive us all. Find one with good maintenance records and you'll be set for the next 10+ years. Non-nav is also a bonus if you plan on swapping head units for better mapping capabilities. AHC really isn't that big of an issue, perfect for daily driving, easily swapped to coils for harder off-roading.
Alternatively, look for a base model GX460 which doesn't have AHC or nav, and you get a few more creature comforts over the GX470. Either way, you can't go wrong with the 4.7/4.6. Both are much better choices than the Taco for a daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94