Next truck

SoTxAg06

But why? Is he towing >10,000 lbs on a regular basis? I own a LBZ (since new) and a LMM. They literally only move when they have huge trailers behind them. A 6.0L/6L90e is far superior when it's just a laden rig out on an adventure. Cheaper fuel (by a LOT right now, but over the past decade diesel has averaged 23% more than gasoline), much simpler engine (pushrod, 2v, no AFM/DoD, cheap parts), robust transmission, high teens fuel economy when not laden with gear.... and thousands less than a LBZ

High teens? You will be lucky to get 15 with a stock 6.0 truck on the highway. I’ve know plenty of people with these trucks, and I’ve never heard of anyone getting high teens. Add any amount of gear, larger tires, etc., and you’re looking at the 11-13 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaisen

Explorer
High teens? You will be lucky to get 15 with a stock 6.0 truck on the highway. I’ve know plenty of people with these trucks, and I’ve never heard of anyone getting high teens. Add any amount of gear, larger tires, etc., and you’re looking at the 11-13 range.

I've only owned several. ****** do I know?

Heck, hand calculated GPS miles and as receipt gallons I averaged 10.7 mpg towing 10,000 lbs 1,175 miles including over the mountains from TN to GA in my 2008 Suburban 2500 6.0L/6 spd. Empty, it gets 16-17 mpgIMG-4081.jpgIMG-4081.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Fellas, I found a 2006 1500. 146k miles. Just had a new trans put in (I’ll have to check on the details) as well as master cyl and booster pump. Has the Vortec Max, which I found is a 6.0 HO. What’s your take on this engine?

I admit, I really love this era of Chevy’s with the cat eyes. Not too fond of 07+.

ClovisMan

Observer
Fellas, I found a 2006 1500. 146k miles. Just had a new trans put in (I’ll have to check on the details) as well as master cyl and booster pump. Has the Vortec Max, which I found is a 6.0 HO. What’s your take on this engine?

I admit, I really love this era of Chevy’s with the cat eyes. Not too fond of 07+.
From Wiki:
In 2006, the Vortec Max trailering package became available. The Vortec Max package was added to the option list with an array of similar features and new badges, and at its core retained the LQ9/4L65-E powertrain. However, the Vortec Max package differed from the Performance edition in that it also came with a variant of the Z85 Handling/Trailering suspension, as well as 17-inch wheels and tires under the option code NHT (and was available on 4x4 models in addition to 4x2 trucks) versus the Z60 High Performance Suspension and 20-inch wheel and tire package of the regular B4V (which was limited to 2 wheel drive trucks). This was because the Vortec Max package was intended for max trailer towing, while the Performance Edition was intended more for customers who wanted the Silverado SS mechanicals without the visuals of the SS. It was also made available (in addition to the extended cab) in the light duty 4 door crew cab models. Towing capacity with the VortecMax Trailing package was 10,800 pounds.[8]

It will still have the weaker 4l65e transmission but a 6.0 and a 14 bolt rear axle with a G-80 limited slip. Still a decent truck if you get a good price on it.

jonathon

LQ9 is a solid motor. Nothing wrong with a 4L65 if you’re not towing much, just change the fluid regularly and keep it cool. Bucket flush is super easy.

Avoid the 07-09 L76 Vortec Max and the 07-11 5.3 trucks unless you are cool with replacing the cam and lifters. Active Fuel Management aka AFM in these tears was problematic. Usually an AFM lifter collapses and wipes out the cam. I had that happen to a 2008 Silverado with the L76 6.0 in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior