Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

Ballbearing

Observer
Is this a Ford only issue? I haven't seen much mention of the other brands.

Edit: I'm specifically referring to the issues involving lack of space for maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MR. ED

Observer
I'm not sure about the radiator thing yet, just going off of what the diesel guy said. But, taking the cab off or removing half the stuff around the engine is not something I want to be a part of. I did work on my '01 Cummins and my wife's '06 Cummins a bit, there was definitely more room in there than on this Ford.

Clutch

<---Pass
The Local Yocal Ford 6.0 diesel expert here in Middle Tennessee has it down to a science and can remove the complete cab/frontend of the truck in one piece including the radiator that is left in the truck cab in less than 45 minutes.

Pretty amazing!

Those 6.0's are a godsend for mechanics.

Have a client's son who owns a diesel shop...man, he makes a damn good living. I joke...shoot, you could put your son through college and pay cash! He fires back and says, why send him to college when he could be a diesel mechanic!? ;)

Ya know...if the engineers wanted to be nice to the mechanics, they would design the body to lift with a touch of a button...

images

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
On the new Chevy 4500's the front clip tips forward for easy access.

For as big and complicated as these new diesel engines are, that would be a smart way to enhance engine bay access for 3/4 and 1 ton owners. I'm really surprised none of the OEM's have gone that route for their non-commercial offerings.

Watt maker

For as big and complicated as these new diesel engines are, that would be a smart way to enhance engine bay access for 3/4 and 1 ton owners. I'm really surprised none of the OEM's have gone that route for their non-commercial offerings.

Because the rear 1/3 of the engine would still be under the cowl area of the cab. The engines sit more forward in the bigger trucks so the rear of the engine is much more accessible. It would be nice if they came out with something like this for the 3/4-1 tons, hell even the 1/2 tons. Pulling the cab isn't too bad on a stock truck but if there's a lot of mods then it can be a chore.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Is this a Ford only issue? I haven't seen much mention of the other brands.

Edit: I'm specifically referring to the issues involving lack of space for maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gm's cabs come off for Duramax service. Don't even get me started about fun dash removals on those for AC vents and such. Tons of fun.

I wished they'd just put hinge behind the front bumper, and just pop the whole cab up like an olde cab over semi truck. I'm not sure whats involved in removing the heads on the Dodge.

Clutch

<---Pass
Because the rear 1/3 of the engine would still be under the cowl area of the cab. The engines sit more forward in the bigger trucks so the rear of the engine is much more accessible. It would be nice if they came out with something like this for the 3/4-1 tons, hell even the 1/2 tons. Pulling the cab isn't too bad on a stock truck but if there's a lot of mods then it can be a chore.

Or just make a truck that doesn't **********' break.... ;)

Really too bad we can't get small cab-overs here. Our traditional conventional cabs are such a huge waste of space...of course it seems those stubby 5' beds are the most popular here in the States...people who buy trucks, really don't buy them to actually use them as trucks...

big_590c6afc28e8c072b501f88f.jpg

Last edited:

chet6.7

Explorer
I drive 2 lanes,head on collisions happen often enough,I like an engine in front of me. A friend of mine is an insurance guy, he has a saying about vans that would apply to COE's in a head on,"You'll be the first one there."

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Cab overs and vans are murder on long trips. I can do 19 hours in a Ford or HD dodge. Only 12 in a Sprinter or Express blob.

I'd rather travel in comfort. I'm 6'2'', 6'4'' online, my knee's would go through the steering wheel on that white thing that's designed only for local travel delivering fruit.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
A friend of mine is an insurance guy, he has a saying about vans that would apply to COE's in a head on,"You'll be the first one there."

Ha ha!

Had VW Westy for about 8 years, quite the POS of a vehicle...but what I liked best about it was, it was like being the first car on a roller coaster.

Cab overs and vans are murder on long trips. I can do 19 hours in a Ford or HD dodge. Only 12 in a Sprinter or Express blob.

I'd rather travel in comfort. I'm 6'2'', 6'4'' online, my knee's would go through the steering wheel on that white thing.

Getting soft there Buliwyf! ;):D My buddy has a Sprinter, that thing is very comfortable...felt like a C-Class to me.

We used to have a Ford C600 milk truck that we used as a water truck. Swear that thing would try and kill you every time you drove it.

I have been in some modern COE's (Fuso) didn't think it was all that bad. Tend to look at things at what is most practical...COE with a tray seems to be the best for maximum cargo room, ease of loading, and engine maintenance...let comfort and safety be damn! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior