Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

D

Deleted member 9101

Yes I understand your point. I just don't agree with the whole cost of ownership thing on gas vs gas trucks. Meaning I don't agree it is "much" higher. I agree it is higher but not by a huge, massive margin

Well... my buddy has a 2017 gas F250 and I have a 2017 gas F150. I get damn near double the gas mileage. Every single thing on my truck cost less to replace and/or maintain. His insurance is also higher (we are both in our 40's with clean records).

D

Deleted member 9101

Ok so here is a good example about price proportions between the F150 xl V6 and the F350 xl 6.2 V8......two completely different trucks as far as capability goes. This is only two of the many options. They rip off half ton buyers!

F150
crew cab option- $6540
4x4 option- $3510

F350
crew cab option- $3600
4x4 option- $2805

Just ridiculous! THEY USE THE SAME CABS! and it costs $2940 more for the F150 cab vs the F350 cab??? An you can't tell me the independent front 4x4 system cost is $705 more than a Dana 60 built solid front axle with all the huge over built hardware attached to it, stronger transfer case, etc.....no way..... This is before adding a legit engine option to the F150......just no comparison and again the manufacturers are ripping off half ton and midsize buyers.

I have zero doubts that the IFS cost more to build than the 60 year old design, that has fewer parts, under the Super Duty. In fact, there is not a huge difference,cost wise, to build the two trucks. The difference is just steel, which is cheap.

The current F150 can come equipped to easily tow and haul what yesterdays 3/4 ton struggled to drag up a hill. In fact it's not uncommon to see a F150 towing more than 3/4 ton trucks.

Also, you can get an F150 with a 9.75" rear end... that's pretty damn beefy and will out last damn near any owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalko43

Explorer
Sounds about right for here as well. Our Fords aren't quite at 20% unless you count turbos and reflashes.

Half of the dodge fails are #6 nuking. Good luck fixing that with the engine in, cab on.

#6 cylinder isn't an issue on the modern 6.7l.

It's a potential issue on the earlier 6.7l's and 5.9l's, but not all that common with stock tuning....again making a mountain out of a molehill.

The current F150 can come equipped to easily tow and haul what yesterdays 3/4 ton struggled to drag up a hill. In fact it's not uncommon to see a F150 towing more than 3/4 ton trucks.

Also, you can get an F150 with a 9.75" rear end... that's pretty damn beefy and will out last damn near any owner.

The F-150 is not the ideal truck for towing heavy. I know Ford rates that truck for 3/4-ton like loads, but the truck itself is somewhat under-built for such duties. The brakes, axle and transmission and gearing are similar to what you get on the regular F-150.

A 9.75" rear end is adequate; I'd consider the 10.5" rear end on the Tundra to be more beefy by comparison. Ford makes the F-150 'good enough' rather than over-engineering them the way they do with the Super Duty.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The 150's hover around 1500#, with options there's a 2000# model. That's around yester-years 250's. 250 is 3100#. 350 is 4,000#. Not a bad idea to add spring if any of those trucks get maxx'd out. IME, the maxx'd ratings aren't level.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have zero doubts that the IFS cost more to build than the 60 year old design, that has fewer parts, under the Super Duty. In fact, there is not a huge difference,cost wise, to build the two trucks. The difference is just steel, which is cheap.

The new F150 pretty much blows our old 3/4-1 Tons out of the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(sixth_generation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(thirteenth_generation)

Ok so here is a good example about price proportions between the F150 xl V6 and the F350 xl 6.2 V8......two completely different trucks as far as capability goes. This is only two of the many options. They rip off half ton buyers!

F150
crew cab option- $6540
4x4 option- $3510

F350
crew cab option- $3600
4x4 option- $2805

What self-respecting man buys a crew cab truck? We should only buy regular cabs, enough room for you and your dog. ;) :p

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why is the F150 CC option so much? It's the same cab. Is this a package deal or misprint? Like does it automatically bump you to Lariat trim or something on the 150's?

Clutch

<---Pass
Why is the F150 CC option so much? It's the same cab. Is this a package deal or misprint? Like does it automatically bump you to Lariat trim or something on the 150's?

It can't be right. What you build on the website, and what they are priced on the lot are quite a bit different.

We all are complaining about what trucks cost...but ya know if you remove all that family truckster stuff, and actually buy a truck to do truck stuff....[read] regular cab 8' bed to haul dirt, gravel, tools, dirt bikes, wood, chainsaws, lawn mowers, etc.......the prices aren't all that bad.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
My ride was 38,000 OTD. I think 42,000 without the end of year rebates.

My old truck was hardly more than the down payment. Which sucked.

Loaded XL's are my favorite trucks. The upgraded models look blingy to me. The base models, have a Tacoma-ish look to them, that we're used to. I hate the upgrade dashes and lights.

Clutch

<---Pass

Loaded XL's are my favorite trucks. The upgraded models look blingy to me. The base models, have a Tacoma-ish look to them, that we're used to. I hate the upgrade dashes and lights.

Not bad. What is crazy the regular cabs aren't that much cheaper (if at all) than the Super Cabs. Found a couple crews in the low 30's, but think those don't really exist...just something to get you in the door.

The XL's are my favorite...don't care for all that urban cowboy bedazzled stuff....though I do like the center console that some of the upper trims get. But they are pretty cheaply made, better off getting a steel Tuffy box.

Clutch

<---Pass
If we are honest with ourselves...the 8' bed on these fullsize trucks is fairly useless.

From a work, hauling a camper....maintenance/repair perspective.

Should be looking at cab overs...no need to pull the cab for repairs, simply tip it forward, much more usable bed space. So it doesn't have 900 ft lbs of torque...who cares. All that is just marketing to sell trucks. Anyone who knows, it is all about gearing anyways.

http://www.mitfuso.com/en-us/models/fg4x4

custom-flatbeds-gallery-16.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

The F-150 is not the ideal truck for towing heavy. I know Ford rates that truck for 3/4-ton like loads, but the truck itself is somewhat under-built for such duties. The brakes, axle and transmission and gearing are similar to what you get on the regular F-150.

A 9.75" rear end is adequate; I'd consider the 10.5" rear end on the Tundra to be more beefy by comparison. Ford makes the F-150 'good enough' rather than over-engineering them the way they do with the Super Duty.

Actually, all F150's from the XL to the Max Tow to the Raptor all have the same transmission and brakes. I know and have talked to plenty of people that tow 10K+ with them and have zero trouble. In fact I have talked to people that have come out of a 3/4 ton diesel to a Max Tow F150 and have zero regrets. They tow the same trailer, faster, for less money.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have the XL with the STX package and absolutely love it.

D

Deleted member 9101

Not bad. What is crazy the regular cabs aren't that much cheaper (if at all) than the Super Cabs. Found a couple crews in the low 30's, but think those don't really exist...just something to get you in the door.

The XL's are my favorite...don't care for all that urban cowboy bedazzled stuff....though I do like the center console that some of the upper trims get. But they are pretty cheaply made, better off getting a steel Tuffy box.

My super crew was ~32,000 out the door. They had 10-12 of them on the lot at the time.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I'd love to test drive a loaded Fuso. But now we're in F550 flat bed price range. And I need wheelbase stability more than off road., and a back seat.

My idea of heaven is a little 6.5 camper, no overhang, and some tents if it's more than the two of us. Tow a TT with it if I really need room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles