Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

D

Deleted member 9101

Why doesn't Ford publish this stuff on their own website?

If this document is in fact correct, then I'm glad to see that Ford does strengthen the frame somewhat. I still consider the F-150's rear axle and front brakes somewhat outgunned by what the Tundra employs, and certainly the overall chassis design doesn't match up to what 3/4 tons come with.

Again, not saying the F-150 is bad. But if I had to consistently tow 10k lbs or carry +2k lbs of payload, a 3/4 ton is the better option in my book, regardless of what Ford claims in their literature.

I don't know what to tell ya man... countless owners tow 10k+ every day. Ford build the truck to do it. If it wasn't up to the task, why are guys going from 3/4 ton trucks to the F150?

Really, talk a walk in a camp ground and talk to the guys that own them. They have no problems with the brakes or the rear end that you paint as being inadequate. Just count how many Tundras you see towing a 5th wheel vs. an F150 the next time you're on the HW.

At work I went from an 2005 F250, crew cab, 5.4 to a 2013 F150 , crew cab, 3.5 EcoBoost. Both 2wd and both loaded with the same emergency response equipment and both towng the same 8k trailer. Not only did the F150 do a better job towing, it also didn't ride like crap when empty.

Dalko43

Explorer
I don't know what to tell ya man... countless owners tow 10k+ every day. Ford build the truck to do it. If it wasn't up to the task, why are guys going from 3/4 ton trucks to the F150?

Really, talk a walk in a camp ground and talk to the guys that own them. They have no problems with the brakes or the rear end that you paint as being inadequate. Just count how many Tundras you see towing a 5th wheel vs. an F150 the next time you're on the HW.

At work I went from an 2005 F250, crew cab, 5.4 to a 2013 F150 , crew cab, 3.5 EcoBoost. Both 2wd and both loaded with the same emergency response equipment and both towng the same 8k trailer. Not only did the F150 do a better job towing, it also didn't ride like crap when empty.

You're evidence is purely anecdotal. I've driven both the trucks you mention. The F-150 is a great weekend warrior. For true work, the F-250/350 is a much better vehicle....that's simply my opinion, not a fact.

And I don't doubt that you see more F-150's on the road versus Tundra's. Ford will always have more consumers because of the blind 'blue-oval' loyalty and 'never buy an import' mentality that is unfortunately so prevalent in this continent. Many of those people fail to realize that the Tundra and Tacoma are just as domestic as their beloved Ford's and Chevy's, in some cases more so.

I realize that on paper the F-150 is rated for more work, but when you break down the both trucks into their actual sub-components, the Tundra certainly seems more 'overbuilt' compared to the F-150.

D

Deleted member 9101

I realize that on paper the F-150 is rated for more work, but when you break down the both trucks into their actual sub-components, the Tundra certainly seems more 'overbuilt' compared to the F-150.

Based on what? All you seem to be able to say is "the Tundra has a larger ring gear and rotors." Both of which are on a truck rated for less. Evidently it has something that is prohibiting Toyota from beating F150 when it comes to the tow and haul rating game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
One of my moto buddies has a box truck Fuso...only paid $18K for it used. He is one of those bare bones simple salt of the earth kind of guys. Since we all tend just to drive to the trail head, and use the bikes to go exporing...no need for 4WD. Thing is like a rolling garage. Packs at least 4 bikes, tool boxes, and all the camp gear...and still has room left over. He uses it for longer trips. But also has a Subaru Forester, Nissan Pathfinder and a Toyota pickup for quickie day/weekend trips. Probably has the same amount of money into those 4 vehicles that some people pay for one.

For me a 6.5 bed extra cab seems to work best for me. Kicking around the idea of having OVRLND campers build me one that I could fit a bike into. So I can ditch having to tow a trailer...don't mind trailers, as I have been towing them for years...but they are pain in the ass on wash boards.

Something like this.

View attachment 473042

Extend the rear of it back to clear the back tire, so I don't have to get a 8' bed. Of course a bigger rear hatch to load a bike.

alutops_toyota_37.jpg
As I'm typing this now I'm in Grand Teton park in a campground I had no business trying to fit a heavy 30' travel trailer into. The stress of driving around this place three times! to try to find a spot almost gave me a stroke. There a dude across from me in a primitive homemade truck camper I'm jealous of right now.

Clutch

<---Pass
As I'm typing this now I'm in Grand Teton park in a campground I had no business trying to fit a heavy 30' travel trailer into. The stress of driving around this place three times! to try to find a spot almost gave me a stroke. There a dude across from me in a primitive homemade truck camper I'm jealous of right now.

Awesome, it was in the low 20's there a couple weeks ago. Hope you have plenty of propane! :)

Most of my buddy's have big diesel trucks with Travel Trailers or Toy Haulers. Pretty damn comfortable once they get to where they are going. Even though I want something bigger than what I have now...gotta admit it is joy getting around in tight spaces, and traveling on back roads. Don't have to worry much about low clearance or tight switch backs...or being concerned if I go down that tight road, will I be able to turn around?

That OVRLND camper with bike storage idea, is how do I get van like cargo without having to buy a van? Have been looking at Ford Medium Roof Transits too...but having it converted to 4WD doesn't appeal to me. E-Series are out of the question. Drove those for work for years...absolutely hate that platform.

A shot of that Callen camper with bike storage from the outside. An OVRLND camper version of that...might be the cat's meow. 8' bed probably makes more sense than a 6.5' though. I waffle back and forth on something like that, or a cargo trailer. As much as I like trailers...sure would be nice not having to tow one.

IMG_0723-L.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Based on what? All you seem to be able to say is "the Tundra has a larger ring gear and rotors." Both of which are on a truck rated for less. Evidently it has something that is prohibiting Toyota from beating F150 when it comes to the tow and haul rating game.

Based on what I've seen when looking underneath both trucks and based what I've read and heard, like you, anecdotally.

While the frame on the Tundra is one area I'd like to see beefed up (fully boxed), everything else about the Tundra seems overbuilt (transmission, transfer case, the 2-piece drive shaft, rear axle, brakes ect.) compared to other 1/2 tons.

I don't have a grudge against the F-150, or Ford in general, but rather I don't think it lives up to all the hype and brand loyalty that revolves around it. I hear people claim all the time that F-150's sales #'s (arguably the best in the segment) are proof positive that the truck is the best within its category. There are way more Ford Fusion's and Chevy Malibu's on the road than there are BMW 3 series....does that mean the BMW is an inferior car?

I'm not arguing that the F-150's are analogous to Malibu's and Fusion's while the Tundra is analogous to a BMW sedan; rather I'm saying the logic of that popular argument is faulty. I think Ford makes their F-150's good enough; I think other brands and categories of trucks are over-engineered to better handle long-term abuse....that's just my opinion.

Clutch

<---Pass
How good does the diesel Tundra drive compared to the diesel F150?

Tundra diesel does not exist. :)

Haven't seen the F150 diesel in the flesh yet.

Did see the new 2019 Silverado today though...not as garish in person as it is in pictures. Not a bad looking truck, though it looks like mashup between several brands.

Dalko43

Explorer
How good does the diesel Tundra drive compared to the diesel F150?

I'm interpreting that as sarcasm, and, if correct, my response is this: I've always applauded Ford for pushing the envelope with new technologies and different engine options.

I just don't think the F-150 is the best 1/2 ton on the market, despite is dominance of the North American market.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Yes!

I thought this was a "Gas versus Diesel" thread with the OP deciding he is going Diesel and not a Ford 150 versus Toyota Tundra thread!

Dalko43

Explorer
Yes!

I thought this was a "Gas versus Diesel" thread with the OP deciding he is going Diesel and not a Ford 150 versus Toyota Tundra thread!

Part of the reason that topic came up was because someone was suggesting that a F-150 is capable enough to assume some of the functional roles previously fulfilled by 3/4 ton's (which is the category the OP is considering). I disagreed.

Also, this is an expo thread; thread derailment is the nature of the beast.

Last edited:

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I’ve ran newer F-150s both 5.0 and 3.5 EB. Sure the truck with EB can PULL a load easily, but the rest of the truck doesn’t handle a heavy load worth a ********. Anyone that thinks it does is delusional. I do think they’re about as capable as 3/4 tons of yesterday, BUT they won’t do it long term. I know of two different 17’ model 3.5 EB that have blown up with a 6-8k travel trailer on them. One was in the first 30k miles. The other was 60-70k miles.

D

Deleted member 9101

Based on what I've seen when looking underneath both trucks and based what I've read and heard, like you, anecdotally.

While the frame on the Tundra is one area I'd like to see beefed up (fully boxed), everything else about the Tundra seems overbuilt (transmission, transfer case, the 2-piece drive shaft, rear axle, brakes ect.) compared to other 1/2 tons.

I don't have a grudge against the F-150, or Ford in general, but rather I don't think it lives up to all the hype and brand loyalty that revolves around it. I hear people claim all the time that F-150's sales #'s (arguably the best in the segment) are proof positive that the truck is the best within its category. There are way more Ford Fusion's and Chevy Malibu's on the road than there are BMW 3 series....does that mean the BMW is an inferior car?

I'm not arguing that the F-150's are analogous to Malibu's and Fusion's while the Tundra is analogous to a BMW sedan; rather I'm saying the logic of that popular argument is faulty. I think Ford makes their F-150's good enough; I think other brands and categories of trucks are over-engineered to better handle long-term abuse....that's just my opinion.

Funny thing... the F150 is rated to tow more, and haul more. It's.5 sec faster 0-60 unloaded and many seconds faster when pulling a 10k trailer...and to top it off it has a shorter stopping distance. Best part is it does all of that while weighing less and using less fuel.

The Tundra is an antiquated design built on a decade old platform. Is it in any a bad design or underpreforming design, absolutely not. Has Ford used stronger materials and more advanced engineering to build a better performing truck, absolutely.

So do tell... how do you justify your claim that the Tundra is "overbuilt." Toyotas engineers and attorneys don't seem to worship at the same alter of Toyota ruggedness that you do.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
There is a HUGE difference between pulling a lid and handling a load well. A GM 6.0 3/4 tin pulls a load like complete crap, BUT it handles it pretty well. The motor happens to be anemic, but the chassis and drivetrain can maneuver and stop the trailer with ease.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I will say the F-150 is the nicest DD that I’ve had the pleasure of driving so far. Haven’t been in the 19’ RAM or Silverado yet though. Currently in a 17’ F-350 and 18’ Sierra 1500. Have put many miles on all 3 makes from 2008 to now. Put 2500 miles on a 17’ F-150 5.0 last week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94