Next Lens

MC4X4

Observer
I have a Canon D40 with a 70-200 2.8 lens and love it, but find it a bit big sometimes. I just need some advice on a smaller lens .

cheers Mark

JackW

Explorer
I use my 24-70 F2.8L lens about 90% of the time - expensive but a great lens.
I'm shooting with a full frame 1DsMKII now so I really like the wide angle but it was a good choice on my 20D before I upgraded too.

Now I want a 17-40....photography - the hobby that never stops.

TRACTION

Adventurer
Canon 24-105mm L 4.0 Love it!

I have the 70-200 2.8 as well and plus this lens works out pretty well kit wise.

Next lens will be a wide but I might move to a 5D MII first. I've got a 40D as well.

desertrover

Adventurer
Another vote for the 24-105 F4! I use it and my 50 1.4 almost exclusively on my 30D, unless more telephoto is called for.

99wj

Adventurer
as for canon, my next lens is the 135mm f/2 L it is regarded as like top 3 sharpest canon lenses ever made, only like $995

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Canon 16-35mm MkII F2.8. I use it every day.

215365914_6YRML-XL.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I have the 70-200L 2.8 and the Canon 10-22 for wide shots but my daily carry lens is the Canon 17-55 2.8. I would say over the last year at least 80% of my shots were with the 17-55.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Then narrow them down by use. What are you typically shooting images of?

For me, I love wide. I have a 10-22 and its just too fun, but it's definitely not a walkabout lens as it has very little reach. With today's image sensors, I figure it's best to have wide and crop down to pull something in closer if you need to.

The reason I prefer wide is that I am very often shooting outdoors, usually along the trail. My lens needs to be built well, dust proof, and wide enough to capture the scene. the 24mm end of the 24-70 is close to being wide enough, but on my less-than-full-size sensor (currently Canon 20D, and hopefully 7D soon), that 24mm equates to 35mm (or thereabouts) and it's just not wide enough for me.

These two images are typical compositions for the sorts of things I tend to shoot. It was shot at 16mm:
811640413_RMaLY-M.jpg

305282965_inj7y-M.jpg

So for me, wider is better. Many other people, like Pat Boonish, seem to really love their zoom's. It's just about what sort of scene you like to capture.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I agree that this decision all depends on what you'll be shooting the majority of the time

If its going to be a lens that stays on the camera 90% of the time, then go with something like the 24-105 f/4

But if you're going to be using it for cool shots like wide angles shot through the windshield or nwoods posted, then I'd go with the 10-20 or something really wide like that

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I like really like shooting wide perspectives with exaggerated near far relationships but wide doesn't always work unless you're willing to get down or really close to certain objects. What kind of persepectives do you like? That would help guide and perhaps narrow down the choices. There's a lot of good glass out there for all budgets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles