Next generation snatch block

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It is piece of aluminum, it isn't new technology. If it works it is a "better mouse trap".

I can't visualize this working in the situation I have been in where I would need it to work. I am hoping your video can help me actually see it work.

It is a pulley, yes they have been around a bit.

I'll try and replicate your concerns the best I can. I know where you are coming from, but i think you are focusing too much on one small issue. The SAME thing is a existing problem with synthetic lines and traditional snatch blocks. The line can get pinched in groove between the pulley and the side plate when the tension cycles.

roving1

[QUOTE="Metcalf, post: 2550319, member:]

How long is a snatch block bearing/bushing going to last when it is in the same gritty environment?

I'll go one further. How many people would actually wear out one of these units even with all the issues mentioned? I know we all think we are rain forest challenge competitors and all.

Even if the idea isn't perfect, I very much appreciate that people are TRYING to innovate in the sport.

[/QUOTE]

Nearly forever.

Potentially very quick with ANY damage to the pulley.

This is nothing like the concept of synthetic winch to me which had pretty clear use cases.

Innovate our sport? The sport of Overlanding? ...No.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Nearly forever.

Potentially very quick with ANY damage to the pulley.

This is nothing like the concept of synthetic winch to me which had pretty clear use cases.

Innovate our sport? The sport of Overlanding? ...No.

Have you run a snatch block in a nasty environment for an extended period? I've had units rust up just from being stored in an open vehicle for too long.

So the use cases from the marine world and arborist industries don't count in this case?

They are called 'Low Friction Rings' in the sailing world. They have been around for maybe a decade now?

The same tech is also being used in the Arborist world too.

So now that we have that out of the way....

Can we talk about potential issues and their solutions instead of just popoin' every 'new' idea for this 'sport' now?

Vinman

Observer
Every example in the pics you posted show the ring being used more as a thimble and not a snatch block.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Every example in the pics you posted show the ring being used more as a thimble and not a snatch block.

Here, I will do some more leg work for ya. I guess the hand holding needs to continue....

https://www.ropeye.co.nz/sail-rigging-hardware/

Are the 'block' applications listed by this manufacturer an accurate enough correlation reference for you?

The first examples I posted are only rigged the 'other' direction to help eliminate some extra connections. In low speed use this has some advantages because it deals with the on/off tension issues some have mentioned. The trade off is more wear on the ring and working line, but no wear on the mounting point connection. In a winching application for off-road work, it is better to have the ring rigged other way so that the wear is on the attaching mechanism ( soft shackle ) with less on the line. This is the 'block' type application in the picture I just posted. Again, pretty common in that world. It is also a direct correlation to the off road sport with the same parts.

Vinman

Observer
You don’t have to hold my hand or do legwork for me, the discussion is about using the ring as a snatchblock replacement, not a thimble replacement.

Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
You don’t have to hold me hand or do legwork for me, the discussion is about using the ring as a snatchblock replacement, not a thimble replacement.

And so then I posted further examples that CLEARLY show the same low friction ring concept being used in exactly the same situation as a snatch block.

The line is still traveling though the 'thimble' redirecting the pull. In one configuration the wear is biased towards the ring. In the other configuration you can bias the wear to the soft shackle when rigged as a block. You can rig these rings either way to accomplish various tasks. This is actually a potential bonus to the ring concept vs a traditional snatch block in my opinion. Pound for pound, I can take about 8x as many rings vs traditional snatch blocks.

Ready to move on yet?

Vinman

Observer
Yes, lets move on.

Now I have zero sailing experience but am now curious how much force is put on the rings when used as thimbles, would it even be close to what we would put them through while winching?

I will be hitting a few trails later this month that will more than likely see a lot of winch useage and will put the ring through its paces and see what happens. I’ll be sure to report back afterwards.

I also look forward to seeing how you make out with it.

MOguy

Explorer
Here, I will do some more leg work for ya. I guess the hand holding needs to continue....

https://www.ropeye.co.nz/sail-rigging-hardware/

Are the 'block' applications listed by this manufacturer an accurate enough correlation reference for you?

The first examples I posted are only rigged the 'other' direction to help eliminate some extra connections. In low speed use this has some advantages because it deals with the on/off tension issues some have mentioned. The trade off is more wear on the ring and working line, but no wear on the mounting point connection. In a winching application for off-road work, it is better to have the ring rigged other way so that the wear is on the attaching mechanism ( soft shackle ) with less on the line. This is the 'block' type application in the picture I just posted. Again, pretty common in that world. It is also a direct correlation to the off road sport with the same parts.

those ropeye bocks look interesting.

Last edited:

roving1

Have you run a snatch block in a nasty environment for an extended period? I've had units rust up just from being stored in an open vehicle for too long.

So the use cases from the marine world and arborist industries don't count in this case?

They are called 'Low Friction Rings' in the sailing world. They have been around for maybe a decade now?

The same tech is also being used in the Arborist world too.

So now that we have that out of the way....

Can we talk about potential issues and their solutions instead of just popoin' every 'new' idea for this 'sport' now?

None of that is muck or abrasive and I have had snatch blocks forgotten and put away wet full of mud seized that were taken apart and cleaned and put back into service. Some are over 20 years old. Whatever man...

Nothing wrong with new products and new ideas but wild eyed zealotry about anything isn't helpful and that's clearly what is going on here.

MOguy

Explorer
None of that is muck or abrasive and I have had snatch blocks forgotten and put away wet full of mud seized that were taken apart and cleaned and put back into service. Some are over 20 years old. Whatever man...

Nothing wrong with new products and new ideas but wild eyed zealotry about anything isn't helpful and that's clearly what is going on here.

There's nothing wrong with new things. Especially things such as apps for navigation, a better radio brighter lights or whatever. But when it comes to something like rigging up a load there are a lot of safety issues to think about.

I just don't think what is being proposed here is the appropriate piece of equipment for what a snatch block or pulley.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

That is absolutely not what I am doing. I am only requesting that people have an open mind about new ideas.

I have personally had issues with existing snatch blocks. I was shared those experiences. Your experiences may have been different. I welcome you to share them. I don't appreciate you basically calling me a liar.

If you haven't used a snatch ring, you don't really have much of a left to stand on in providing feedback. You and GUESS about what might happen like a lot of the other people in the thread. That isn't really helping anyone.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
There's nothing wrong with new things. Especially things such as apps for navigation, a better radio brighter lights or whatever. But when it comes to something like rigging up a load there are a lot of safety issues to think about.

I just don't think what is being proposed here is the appropriate piece of equipment for what a snatch block or pulley.

Why? Have you tested your theories?

What is unsafe about the low friction ring concept?

MOguy

Explorer
Why? Have you tested your theories?

What is unsafe about the low friction ring concept?

You're supposed to show me a video so I can helps see it. I have seen enough video so friction and heat is no longer a concern. What I'm concerned about with this setup is the line coming off the ring when tension is lost, that is all at this point.

I don't want Theory and I am not test anything, I want proof. I already have a solution but if the one you propose is better I would like to go with that one. I was hoping the video you plan on shooting could provide that for me.

At this point I travel with one big heavy pulley. I usually use it for change of Direction when I'm pulling somebody else out. I would love to incorporate another pulley into my system so I could use it to gain mechanical advantage. I used to do more hardcore wheeling and the vehicles I will with were similar in weight to mine, usually 4000 lb or so. Now I do more of this overlanding Type wheeling and the vehicles I travel with are much larger and heavier. I have a winch and usually am in a position to do recoveries, But the vehicles are usually larger and heavier than what I've dealt with in the past. Rigging up so I could gain mechanical advantage would be nice. if I could do this with a 1- 2 pound pulley as opposed to a 5 to 10 lb pulley that would be wonderful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles