Next Generation Defender must be "more desirable to look at"

Normbourne

Unfortunately the 4x4 suburban wagon plague has taken off with a bang, but these types of vehicles, although eminently capable, are only taken bush, and I mean bush, rarely.

They have become somewhat of a status symbol, but the fair dinkum, 4x4 wagons and those of us who own them, have very confidence in them, expecting them to become knocked about, in travels to remote places, knowing that in the event of a breakdown we will be able to cope.

I'm talking here from the voice of experience, having owned a Series 2a Land Rover for 42 years, indeed, during that time we established indelible memories in our children to such an extent, that we have been forbidden from ever
disposing of it, every dent and every scratch has a story behind it.

Anyway at present it is undergoing a massive rebuild, there is a long established tenet, that one never really owns a series Land Rover, one simply preserves it for the next generation.....!

Norm.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The guy is a liar or utter fool.
They sold exactly because of their design. They were designed to be versatile. I don't think Land Rover even knows what "versatile" means anymore. Their idea of versatile means driving it to the club or to the ski slopes.

I'll vote for fool because liar is just too direct of a statement on LR mentality. The Defender was the UK's agri/farmer truck. It sold precisely because of design. It IS's the UK's pickup truck.

axels

Adventurer
I'll vote for fool because liar is just too direct of a statement on LR mentality. The Defender was the UK's agri/farmer truck. It sold precisely because of design. It IS's the UK's pickup truck.

When were Jeeps easily available in Europe??? As I was a kid in Europe, Wranglers and Cherokees were extremely expensive "luxury" off-road vehicles (more so than Lexus or others) and rarely seen anywhere else than the rich neighborhoods...
Maybe I missed your point...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
When were Jeeps easily available in Europe??? As I was a kid in Europe, Wranglers and Cherokees were extremely expensive "luxury" off-road vehicles (more so than Lexus or others) and rarely seen anywhere else than the rich neighborhoods...
Maybe I missed your point...

I think you did. I view Land Rover as the UK's equivalent of the International Light Line Truck in the US. http://www.scoutlightline.com

International Scout dealers were found at your local farm supply. Defender's were also your local farm implement.

Both were sold exactly because of design.

roverandom

Adventurer
I'm from the UK and Land Rover in the pre-1990's were more like 4wd F150's. they were everywhere. Tradesmen used transit vans, farmers used LR's. it was pretty much the only readily available choice prior to the early 80's.

Despite the HiLux and others taking over some of the agricultural market Land Rovers are still to be found at work on many a British farm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

axels

Adventurer
I'm French and mainly grew up in Germany so I mostly saw military LR. I also encountered quite a few civilian ones but never on a farm sadly (then again I did live in the city so that could explain it). In Germany the farm tool was (still is) the MB Unimog (same for the military as well as the G-Klasse).
Does design mean functionality in that case? ;)

roverandom

Adventurer
I think that is what folks are talking about. I used the word "design" in the context of look of the vehicle rather than it's mechanical features. I could have also used the word "styled" to equal effect.

But anyway you choose to describe it I think all can agree that the main appeal of a utility Land Rover is the versatility and ease of adaptation to any task.

Not how it looks.

Exploder
I would suggest that McGovern is more concerned with how things look.

Old:
photo_autograph_mcgovern_1_400x500.jpg

New:
gerry_mcgovern_2_5509.jpg

He's a crafter of images.

roverandom

Adventurer
Yes, just the man we need to oversee the replacement of the Defender. I hope his shoes don't get too dirty testing in Mayfair!

Then again, he could surprise us all and the new unit could end up being amazing. Just have to wait and see I suppose.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I would suggest that McGovern is more concerned with how things look.
He's a crafter of images.
To be fair, I googled images of him and found one that would demonstrate his suitability for overseeing the Defender design.
EW-AL792_fn_ger_DV_20111116120725.jpg

And to get in touch with Defender users he likes to walk around Bond Street because, "You can observe how high-end people shop—the clothes and jewelry they buy, the restaurants they go to."
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052970204358004577031663050955648.html

Yeah, he's likely a good choice to oversee Range Rover, but Defender? I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.

Teflon

Observer
Since Land Rover is owned by an Indian company (Tata Motors Limited) you would think that they would have a better feel for an industrial and agricultural vehicle.

And just as a bit if trivia the earlier Series Land Rovers had power take offs either installed or at least had the opening in the rear bumper for a drive shaft up through something like the IIA or the Series III. That way they were equipped to run a number of farm implements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94