Next Gen Land Cruiser

phsycle

Adventurer
Why straight axles? Are you seriously asking me that question on an off-road forum??
For one it would be to differentiate itself from the Taco/T4R/etc. It would be redundant if it had IFS like the others. Being that the LC is the ultimate off-road Toyota it makes perfect sense. People who give a damn about that sort of thing would buy the hell out of them, everyone else who wants to look like they go off-road would buy them as well. Just like the Jeep.

If it would sell, Toyota would be selling them. Ask any one of the people who bought a new $80k Land Cruiser if they want a straight axle off-roading machine. Toyota doesn't care what someone wants buying second-hand.

T-Willy

You'd need to take that LC70 and lift it, put some tires on it and modify it to compete with a Jeep offroad. In doing that you give up some of it's core DNA, it's payload capacity.

Longevity, durability, reliability are core competencies of the LC not offroad prowess (without major modifications).

...Which is why this modernized 70 series concept--with rear coils atop the heavy-duty drivetrain--is so attractive.

GTV

Out of curiosity - if they offered a brand new 70 series right now at your dealership, how much would you pay for it?

That’s hard for me to say right now as we’re currently debt free and working hard to pay off our house before we’re 50. A car payment isn’t currently a goal :) And honestly, I think the 70 is cool but it’s not exactly what would get me to pull the trigger. I dig the Suzuki Jimny so something along those lines but obviously larger, I would prefer two doors but most Americans don’t so I’m sure whatever Toyota does (if anything) would have four. I realized a few years ago that auto manufacturers don’t build new cars I’m interested in so I’ve mostly given up on that idea. There is always a glimmer of hope though.

T-Willy

If it would sell, Toyota would be selling them. Ask any one of the people who bought a new $80k Land Cruiser if they want a straight axle off-roading machine. Toyota doesn't care what someone wants buying second-hand.

Jeep is selling is 230,000 rigid axle Wranglers annually, which is 100,000 more units than Toyota's 4Runner sales. There's unequivocal demand for such vehicles in the U.S., and Toyota is missing out.

GTV

Isn’t the whole idea behind this rumor that the LX would be the $80k+ luxury queen and the LC would go back to its roots as a more utilitarian, capable, dependable 4x4?

T-Willy

Isn’t the whole idea behind this rumor that the LX would be the $80k+ luxury queen and the LC would go back to its roots as a more utilitarian, capable, dependable 4x4?

Yes, exactly--back to basics.

Reactions: GTV

phsycle

Adventurer
Jeep is selling is 230,000 rigid axle Wranglers annually, which is 100,000 more units than Toyota's 4Runner sales. There's unequivocal demand for such vehicles in the U.S., and Toyota is missing out.

Toyota spends over $4B per year in marketing. Maybe you know something they don't?

Wrangler is its own animal. It has much more to do than just sticking solid axles under a frame. It's its own brand. Almost a lifestyle. People are buying into that, and NOT the axles.
As a counter example, look at the MB G-wagon. Up until 2017, it had straight axles. But only sold about what the LC was doing annually.

phsycle

Adventurer

It's a rumor. Like when they said diesel Tundra was coming. FJC would have a removable top. Lots of rumors out there.

I would like nothing more than having a cheaper LC that's more capable. Not gonna happen. If you have any credible sources, please post it up.

GTV

It's a rumor. Like when they said diesel Tundra was coming. FJC would have a removable top. Lots of rumors out there.

I would like nothing more than having a cheaper LC that's more capable. Not gonna happen. If you have any credible sources, please post it up.

Ahh yes the mythical diesel Tundra!

I do think it makes sense that Toyota would go this direction. Having the LC and the LX as direct competitors is silly. I’d love to see it as well but I’m not holding my breath.

T-Willy

Toyota spends over $4B per year in marketing. Maybe you know something they don't?

Wrangler is its own animal. It has much more to do than just sticking solid axles under a frame. It's its own brand. Almost a lifestyle. People are buying into that, and NOT the axles.
As a counter example, look at the MB G-wagon. Up until 2017, it had straight axles. But only sold about what the LC was doing annually.

Good reminder -- Jeep sells 57 times more Wranglers in the US each year than Mercedes does Geländewagens. It's creaming all of them combined--G-wagen, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner--by 100,000 or so units.

This isn't because Jeep is magic: It's because these have become completely different markets.

America ************** loves rugged, utilitarian, off-road-oriented four wheel drives, of which Wrangler is the last wagon available. Jeep's loyalty to making them explains in large part people's loyalty to Jeep.

Toyota, with all of its heritage and reliability, would do well by taking Land Cruiser back to its similarly rugged roots.

nickw

Adventurer
Good reminder -- Jeep sells 57 times more Wranglers in the US each year than Mercedes does Geländewagens. It's creaming all of them combined--G-wagen, Land Cruiser, and 4Runner--by 100,000 or so units.

This isn't because Jeep is magic: It's because these have become completely different markets.

America ************** loves the look of rugged, utilitarian, off-road-oriented four wheel drives, of which Wrangler is the last wagon available. Jeep's loyalty to making them explains in large part people's loyalty to Jeep.

Toyota, with all of its heritage and reliability, would do well by taking Land Cruiser back to its similarly rugged roots.
Fixed that for ya

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So let’s sum up. We all agree that it would be great for Toyota to bring in a 70 series rig, or something simple and utilitarian to compete with Heep, but that it probably won’t happen. We also agree that Heeps are overpriced, and sold to the “Overland” crowd to actually use, and the poser crowd to drive to the mall. Toyota could get in on that too, but choose not to. Are the same taxes applied to both SUVs and pickups? I

T-Willy

So let’s sum up. We all agree that it would be great for Toyota to bring in a 70 series rig, or something simple and utilitarian to compete with Heep, but that it probably won’t happen. We also agree that Heeps are overpriced, and sold to the “Overland” crowd to actually use, and the poser crowd to drive to the mall. Toyota could get in on that too, but choose not to. Are the same taxes applied to both SUVs and pickups? I

I would say that it's now a possibility, not necessarily likely, but also not out of the question--a possibility now buoyed by rumors and concepts trending toward what would succeed (and what I would buy).

Of course, this entire discussion is speculation, but speculation is fun.

jmodz

I think we should just call this what it is. All of us would love to have used 70 series floating around the market for 20-25k. But not many of us are interested in spending 50-75k on one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior