Next Gen Land Cruiser

nickw

Adventurer
What's funny is I can afford a 200 now because I choose to buy 10 year old trucks with 100k+ miles so I can keep the extra money in savings ?
Your point is right though. I couldn't buy one 10 years ago and now that I can I won't. I think they could sell as many or more 70s than 200s if they wanted to but it would be a niche vehicle. The only thing it really offers over what we already have is payload. Like you already pointed out it would be deflated if they did sell them here. Toyota isn't going to sell diesel vehicles in the US and as far as I know the only gas motor motor in the current 70s is the 1gr. I like that motor but I don't know about it in a LC.
I'm in the same boat as you....if Toyota had a brand new 70 pickup on the lot for $65k, what would I do? Honestly, not sure it would fit in my life. Besides the "cool" factor, what purpose would it serve a XL F150 wouldn't for $25k less? I did always want a std. cab tacoma with a 5 spd and 2.7, just a few years ago those were available....but for low $20s, even then, I didn't think I'd use it much and certainly couldn't see myself taking it on long road trips.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Even in Cruiser-mad Australia I think Toyota sells about 1-to-1 70-to-200 series. And they get a whole range of 200 not just ultra luxury.
I'd love to see a more basic version of a 200. Like an Australian GX / GXL. I quite like the newer Armadas (too bad they don't offer the same 4WD systems here though)
1 year old Armadas are quite reasonable around the 40K mark for ones with low mileage. Maybe a 1-2 year old 200 GX would be similar?
Capture1.PNG
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
How many 200s sold last year? 6500? I'm pretty sure Toyota could sell 10000-15000 7x series even if they were $75k or more. 25 year old me who could barely afford a 10 year old 4Runner loved the idea of a stripped down 70 series. Now I would take a 200 over a 70. They are comfy and robust. Comfort is underrated when you have a 10 hour drive infront of you. I also like the IFS and the huge amount of rear wheel travel.

i doubt that heavily.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Forgot about those, so very cool. Still think of pickups in terms of regular cab and XtraCab since a "short" bed to me is 6 feet and a "right" length is 7 feet or more.

I’m with you on that, which is why my Dodge has an 8’ bed. The Tacoma has the 5’ bed as it is going to be 90% dog hauler, taking the place of my 100. I needed a tax write off or the 100 probably would have stayed for a longer time. IF the 70 series utes landed here (martians will probably beat them here) I would rethink my need of an 8’ bed, which at this point is my truck camper. A nice 4Wheel Camper flatdeck model would sit very nicely on the tray of that Doublecab ute I posted above.

85_Ranger4x4

I'm in the same boat as you....if Toyota had a brand new 70 pickup on the lot for $65k, what would I do? Honestly, not sure it would fit in my life. Besides the "cool" factor, what purpose would it serve a XL F150 wouldn't for $25k less? I did always want a std. cab tacoma with a 5 spd and 2.7, just a few years ago those were available....but for low $20s, even then, I didn't think I'd use it much and certainly couldn't see myself taking it on long road trips.

If they were more in line pricewise with an F-150, could get out of their own way, got more than 12mpg and didn't crumble into a pile after two rust belt winters... I would happily dd the heck out of one.

I only mention the rust belt winter thing because it is a concern of mine since they are mainly in arid areas. I don't know how much saltwater rustproofing they took into account when they designed them.

Forgot about those, so very cool. Still think of pickups in terms of regular cab and XtraCab since a "short" bed to me is 6 feet and a "right" length is 7 feet or more.

At least in Australia they have a Toyota backed program where they stretch the frame to fit a longer bed. Really helps with the proportions of it too. It is done thru Toyota before delivery to the customer so it is still all under warranty.

Since we are spitballing in the land of make believe I would have that done to mine as well.

Chassis-Extension-3_Web.jpg

nickw

Adventurer
If they were more in line pricewise with an F-150, could get out of their own way, got more than 12mpg and didn't crumble into a pile after two rust belt winters... I would happily dd the heck out of one.

I only mention the rust belt winter thing because it is a concern of mine since they are mainly in arid areas. I don't know how much saltwater rustproofing they took into account when they designed them.

At least in Australia they have a Toyota backed program where they stretch the frame to fit a longer bed. Really helps with the proportions of it too. It is done thru Toyota before delivery to the customer so it is still all under warranty.

Since we are spitballing in the land of make believe I would have that done to mine as well.

Chassis-Extension-3_Web.jpg
Good call on the rust and for $40k, sign me up, I'd love a Single Cab LC for hauling motos and hitting the trails on the MTB....

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There’s lots of them running around in coastal areas of Oz and the world. The ones you see rusting away are likely driven on the beaches a lot.

And the stretch is the way I’d go too.

GTV

I live in the PNW....why do you think this?

So do I...
It’s a little different than other parts of the country where big full size trucks rule. Toyota’s and the off-road/overlanding scene is huge here. T4R’s, LC’s, Tacoma’s, etc tend to be more expensive here than in other parts of the country because the following is so strong. Toyota could definitely take a chunk out of the Wrangler market if they wanted to.

nickw

Adventurer
So do I...
It’s a little different than other parts of the country where big full size trucks rule. Toyota’s and the off-road/overlanding scene is huge here. T4R’s, LC’s, Tacoma’s, etc tend to be more expensive here than in other parts of the country because the following is so strong. Toyota could definitely take a chunk out of the Wrangler market if they wanted to.
Agreed we have a strong Toyota culture, but 95% of the folks buying them are lifestyle buyers (it's getting a bit ridiculous) and don't need a HD rig and I'm not at all convinced whatsoever they'd shell out the $$ for a LC due to price. I rarely see the 200 series around here in Portland and any one of us could go down and get one tomorrow. I think Seattle has a good culture with the 70's due to it's location relative to CAN, but they are +/- $20k rigs, not $60k+...

GTV

Agreed we have a strong Toyota culture, but 95% of the folks buying them are lifestyle buyers (it's getting a bit ridiculous) and don't need a HD rig and I'm not at all convinced whatsoever they'd shell out the $$ for a LC due to price. I rarely see the 200 series around here in Portland and any one of us could go down and get one tomorrow. I think Seattle has a good culture with the 70's due to it's location relative to CAN, but they are +/- $20k rigs, not $60k+...

Most of the lifted Jeeps around here (and there are plenty of them as well) probably never see dirt but people buy them. If Toyota came up with an attractive design attached to solid axles in the Wrangler price range (or even a little higher) they would do very well, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94