Next Gen Land Cruiser

rlynch356

Defyota
I haven't seen much but this warms my heart hearing this...
"
As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be heavily based on the next Tundra and offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point. "

https://www.motor1.com/news/399275/toyota-insider-details-future-models/

I have not idea about the validity of this info, but I like it, a lot if it comes true.

T-Willy

I haven't seen much but this warms my heart hearing this...
"
As for the iconic Land Cruiser, the U.S. model will reportedly be sold only with five seats as a “serious off-roader” without an emphasis on luxury. It will be heavily based on the next Tundra and offered at a significantly lower price, but its launch date is not known at this point. "

https://www.motor1.com/news/399275/toyota-insider-details-future-models/

I have not idea about the validity of this info, but I like it, a lot if it comes true.

That speculation generally fits with this idea: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/lc-70-lhd-concept-at-tokyo-auto-salon.213025/

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Manual transmission!
Straight axles!!
Diesel engine!!!
No electronicals!!!!

(Please don't wake me up...)

Eh manuals are not that important. Autos have been used for 60 plus years. They’re well proven now. Straight axles are not automatically better off-road. Diesel will never happen hear. Electrics are no unreliable and it’s here to stay and I’d blame the gov with crazy pollution laws for that.

rlynch356

Defyota
I would take anything you read on Motor1 with a grain of salt, they tend to have "big scoops" they never seem to come true. While i can see them releasing a more off-road oriented Land Cruiser in the US, like a big 4Runner Trd Pro, i would imagine its going to be in-line with the 200 series.

T-Willy

If 1/2 of it is true that would be great, if they just brought the 70 series to us with a gas motor and auto I would be ecstatic.. Lexus can have the 300 series in lux form, it actually makes some sense that they would not be competing against themselves anymore with the same product for the same buyers.

I agree that it makes sense.

A modernized but still rugged and heavy duty 70-series platform like the one shown cuts into Wrangler sales, but is distinguishable enough from other Toyota offerings to preclude too much cannibalizing (of 4-runner or Lexus 460, 200, or 300).

I would buy one.

As ever, speculation is fun, and time will tell.

bkg

Explorer
The armchair CEO in me sees the logic in having a vehicle that encompasses everything the enthusiasts want that stands alone from their bread-and-butter.

Fact is Toyota sees the numbers, they know for all the lip smacking we do the vehicles that actual sell are not stripped down base models to dirt bags. Anyway, they did offer that to us sort of in the FJ Cruiser and predictably the novelty wore off and sales dropped.

Best we could hope is Toyota sees potential of a replacement to the 70 series modernized enough to sell here in small numbers with an existing EPA-approved engine is about the most we could hope for and that seems unlikely.

The honest truth is all I'd like to see is a Tacoma that got back a decently rigid frame. I think I'd like a Hilux for the simplicity (I'm no fan of the styling and "tech" crap of Tacomas) but I'm over lusting for what we can't have. It's an alright truck and in the end we just modify them to suit our need anyway.

Isn't the current LC Tundra/Sequoia based anyway? So nothing really changes under the brightwork?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I didn't see anything for LC/300 in that insider forecast snapshot the other day. 2022 showed new Tundra/Sequoia and a 6th Gen 4runner.

nickw

Adventurer
I agree that it makes sense.

A modernized but still rugged and heavy duty 70-series platform like the one shown cuts into Wrangler sales, but is distinguishable enough from other Toyota offerings to preclude too much cannibalizing (of 4-runner or Lexus 460, 200, or 300).

I would buy one.

As ever, speculation is fun, and time will tell.
Unless you are rolling in dough, I think youd be surprised how much a 'modernized' 70 series would cost. Dollars to donuts its $70k+....

nickw

Adventurer
No it’s not a shared platform between Lc and tundra.
From what I understand there are several components that have very sim if not identical specs...may be manuf in different factories. Engine, trans, tcase and diffs I believe are common aren't they?

It was here or on Mud, somebody was comparing drivetrain components.

nickw

Adventurer
The armchair CEO in me sees the logic in having a vehicle that encompasses everything the enthusiasts want that stands alone from their bread-and-butter.

Fact is Toyota sees the numbers, they know for all the lip smacking we do the vehicles that actual sell are not stripped down base models to dirt bags. Anyway, they did offer that to us sort of in the FJ Cruiser and predictably the novelty wore off and sales dropped.

Best we could hope is Toyota sees potential of a replacement to the 70 series modernized enough to sell here in small numbers with an existing EPA-approved engine is about the most we could hope for and that seems unlikely.

The honest truth is all I'd like to see is a Tacoma that got back a decently rigid frame. I think I'd like a Hilux for the simplicity (I'm no fan of the styling and "tech" crap of Tacomas) but I'm over lusting for what we can't have. It's an alright truck and in the end we just modify them to suit our need anyway.
Well said and agree. EPA aside, I think the major thing keeping some of these from US is crash ratings. They used to put the 3.4 and 4.0 in Cruisers and Prados so had the opportunity, we got the FJ, which was close in spirit...to your point.

I see the Tacoma and 4Runner and think is there even room for a niche rig? Ford is going all in with the Bronco, which kinda feels like that, but it may just be a competitor to the other offroad SUVs, 4Runner or Wrangler.

I can see Toyota offering a program that allows assisted importation (at a cost) once the get a more global platform in place.

T-Willy

Unless you are rolling in dough, I think youd be surprised how much a 'modernized' 70 series would cost. Dollars to donuts its $70k+....

What would surprise me? I would be surprised if someone even as naturally talented as yourself actually knew how much a modernized 70 series would cost. We'll know how much a modernized 70 series will cost if and when one comes out.

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
What would surprise me? I would be surprised if someone even as naturally talented as yourself actually knew how much a modernized 70 series would cost. We'll know how much a modernized 70 series will cost if and when one comes out.
Which it wont because folks wont spend the dinero for a 1980's rig. They have their place, it's not in the US unfortunately.

I'm old enough to remember when FJ40's were selling alongside Jeeps...do you remember that? The FJ's were significantly more expensive. The 70's are built to a much higher standard, use low tech but are costly to manuf. They are low volume rigs and always will be, what makes you think otherwise?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles