News on Cases = Pelican acquires Storm

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
BIG NEWS! Hot off the presses.

Pelican Products, the maker of Pelican Cases, has acquired Hardigg Industries, the maker of Storm Cases.

--From the Pelican Web site: http://pelican.com/synergy/

"To our Customers, Employees and Vendors:

Happy New Year. I’m very proud to announce that in a deal approximating $200 million, supported by our private equity group, Behrman Capital, Pelican Products has acquired Hardigg Industries, the Massachusetts based roto molding case company.

While the two companies have had a historic rivalry, on detailed review there is a much bigger synergy with Hardigg and Pelican joining forces. In fact, when you consider Pelican’s capabilities of automated injection molding, and contrast that with Hardigg’s roto molding and customization skills, it’s clear that our strengths are extremely complementary. An example of the synergy is in our selling models. Pelican has built a diverse base of distribution in commercial and industrial markets, while Hardigg has deep selling channels within the military. Clearly we can benefit by leveraging each other’s sales and distribution channels. At the same time, Pelican has mastered automated manufacturing to better support customer requirements around the world. Many of these processes will be leveraged across Hardigg’s manufacturing operations.

So what will the combined entity look like? It will employ over 1,500 people in 23 offices and 6 manufacturing facilities in 12 countries around the world. It will truly be the best source for supporting any customer’s protective case needs. In addition, we will build new advanced lighting products, so whether you’re a case or lighting customer, we will have the largest capability in the world to support your requirements. Because we are well capitalized for future growth, in just a few short years Pelican will drive to become a half a billion dollar business.

Product innovation will accelerate in this new enterprise, with more than 60 engineers developing products that will fit our new unified strategic plan, deploying new technologies and designs for the future growth of all involved. This will represent a win for our core product offering: a permanent, more efficient and effective packaging solution with sustainable advantages over corrugated boxes, wood crates, aluminum cases and other inferior containers.

I look forward to meeting and working with you all to make this new enterprise a huge success for everyone involved.

Respectfully,
Lyndon Faulkner
President and CEO
Pelican Products, Inc."

Brian

Last edited:

absolute

Adventurer
That looks very promising!!
As a happy customer of both companies... I'm excited to see what they have in store!! :)

Thanks for the info!

Nick

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
yea....but why, just WHY did they have to use the "s" word?!?!?

There is only one way to ensure that businesses will fail after a merger or buy out.....use of the "s" word in the press release.

I'll be sorry to see them go.

:(

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very neat. I had no clue Pelican was such a big corporation, combine the two and wow. Good on them! I'd imagine this will open new doors for product development and distribution channels :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a good thing?

I can see some of the worry, but there are other companies that I believe will fill the voids if/when they exist. There were two "Pelican" style case companies at a recent gun show here in Salt Lake City, on of which was import, the other of which was made in I beleive Colorado (I should have their info somewhere). I think its a growing market and we'll see new things from the big and small alike.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I also don't see this as a good thing. I think strong competition between two really great products benefits the consumer. Both had their strengths and both were really great cases. It's possible that inovation will slow down now that Pelican has bought their main competitor.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I also don't see this as a good thing. I think strong competition between two really great products benefits the consumer. Both had their strengths and both were really great cases. It's possible that inovation will slow down now that Pelican has bought their main competitor.

Thanks for articulating what I was thinking.

RoundOut

Explorer

And prices, as if they are not high enough already, will surely increase with reduced competition.

chuck45

Observer

Maybe in these tough economic times one stronger company is better than two smaller weaker companies. Perhaps both companies looked at this as the best way to insure their survival.

Overland Hadley

on a journey

x2

Competition is a good thing. Think evolution.

From Wikipedia
Competition may give incentives for self-improvement. For example, if two watchmakers are competing for business, they will hopefully lower their prices and improve their products to increase sales. If birds compete for a limited water supply during a drought, the more suited birds will survive to reproduce and improve the population.

haven

Expedition Leader
I predict that within 6 months Storm's employees will be laid off,
and the Storm name will be applied to existing Pelican products.

soonenough

Explorer
I predict that within 6 months Storm's employees will be laid off,
and the Storm name will be applied to existing Pelican products.

I'd definitely have my resume up to date if I worked for either company. Heck, I'd have my resume up to date no matter what the way things are these days...

762X39

Explorer
I was looking at Storm cases and Pelican cases when I went to replace my 30 year old tool box (custom built ATA approved like an Anvil case if they are still around) and I chose an Italian built HPRC. I feel that Pelican has been resting on its laurels way too long and find my HPRC to be much better built.I am sad to see Storm go but would have prefered Pelican to go instead.The Pro A/V division of our company sells a ton of cases to go with the high def cameras and related equipment that travel the world and we mostly use Kata cases (soft) from Israel and HPRC or another brand from Italy whose name escapes me tonight.For the film people on a budget we sell Underwater Kinetics cases. They are not that great but protect high end video gear as well as the Pelican cases for a lot less money.I guess Pelican has brand name appeal but the world has moved on since they came to town (I do have several Pelican cases to protect various pieces of gear but if they were to crap out I would replace them with HPRC cases as required).Just my opinion though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior