Newfoundland 2011: One Big Dog

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Wonderful thread, sir! Warms the cockles to know you enjoyed Newfoundland!
I was impressed by the thorough and informative treatment you gave my homeland.
I was born & bred in Town (St. John's), taught the Vikings at community college in St. Anthony, and now work for the Canadian Coast Guard in Port aux Basques - ie, you have to go through me to get here...literally :)
I have been all over this Rock, and you, sir, did a very good job of getting acquainted - you hit all the high points! Your expose was well written, very interesting, and felt like I was looking at my own photo albums.There's a pic that close to my house! I think I saw some family in one shot!

However, Western Brook fjord awaits, whale watching in may-july beckons, and a hoard of secret spots I've banked over years of travel, play and work as a Tour Guide. And of course the TransLabrador highway!
I'd love to offer up my secrets, but it'll cost ya (around here, dark rum is like cigarettes in prison)
Hmmm, Cape Pine, La Manche, Bay Bulls, Sandbanks, Gillam's Rd., Conche/Croque, Baccalieu, and a million more. You should also be leaving with shots of moose, caribou, eagles, osprey, black bear, puffins, turrs, and whaleswhaleswhales! (it's easy to sell something you believe in :ylsmoke:)

So happy to see such a great write-up. Good on ya, old man!

Hey, hang on, there's not one Newfie joke here... oh, wait...

Thanks for the compliments! You live in a very special place and I'm looking forward to a return trip. Dark rum sounds like a valuable currency but I'll have to take your word about cigarettes in prison. :elkgrin:

Scott Brady

Founder
Great report Graham, thanks for posting it up. Seeing the images did a good job of setting the scene (it was fun to read it after hearing it first hand in VT).

DSC_4234.jpg

I did not notice if you made it to Cape Spear. Was that one of the destinations?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Great report Graham, thanks for posting it up. Seeing the images did a good job of setting the scene (it was fun to read it after hearing it first hand in VT).

View attachment 76633

I did not notice if you made it to Cape Spear. Was that one of the destinations?

You're welcome! It was great to finally meet in person at the Vermont Overland Rally.

So yes we did visit Cape Spear at the end of the world and tried our hardest to stand upright in the wind. The soldiers stationed there to man the big guns during WW2 must have been miserable when it was really blowing a hoolie!

Next time I go it will be via Labrador and on two wheels to make the most of the many ATV trails that extend the "road" network significantly but aren't wide enough for cars.

Jarek M

Adventurer
Use the paper map to find a junction where there is no town but a road goes to a somewhat distant town.
Drive down that road and use the GPS to find a road to a close lake.
Drive down that road to find a perfectly acceptable spot.
Wonder if there is a better spot somewhere else.
Spend an hour looking for it.
Go back to the first spot.

So true, LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles