Newest Mid-Sized Trucks Sales Figures May Surprise You?

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
August 2019 Midsize Truck Sales Report: Toyota Tacoma Claws Back Sales, Nissan Frontier Picks Up Dramatically

Last month seemed to be a good month for trucks.

Ford, GM and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles are no longer reporting their sales monthly, so we will have to wait until October 2019 to infer sales data from their next quarterly updates. However, after some downturns at the beginning of summer, last month was an extremely good month for truck sales. The other contenders — Toyota, Nissan and Honda — all reported double-digit gains in August 2019.

An extra sales weekend that included the Labor Day holiday helped figures rise, as the upswing cast a largely positive light across the whole industry.

Once again, the Toyota Tacoma is at the top of the sales heap. That’s not surprising, but what is surprising is that sales bounced back from the slump in July. Tacoma sales were up 14.8 percent, setting an August sales record for the model.

Even better than that, however, was the Nissan Frontier. Some TFLtruck readers are younger than the current-generation Frontier, but age has done fairly little to slow the truck’s popularity. Tried and true sells, as the Frontier crossed 50,000 trucks sold in 2019, which is definitely a respectable figure. Sales in August 2019 were up a whopping 28.8 percent, bringing the model right on par with where it was last year. In terms of year-to-date sales, the fact that the Frontier isn’t dropping off shows how popular the model still is, despite being over a decade old.

The Honda Ridgeline also fared well last month, with August 2019 sales improving 18.3 percent. That 3,302 trucks is a massive improvement on previous months, while the year-to-date sales are up 5.1 percent at 20,268 units. Honda, Nissan and Toyota have all improved in their midsize truck sales, showing a bounce back from a slower year.

39DE5512-8622-4A3F-B2DD-81D71AB67366.jpeg

Ford is still tight lipped about the 2020 Ranger. They may be suffering from a bit of Osborne Effect, Australia has the Ranger Raptor and the Bronco might have more than one engine option.

2020 Colorados are out, other than the Gladiator is anything really new? Looked at a Gladiator the other day... it’s really long.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What do you mean by this? Are there changes coming?

Ouch. That had to sting Ford...

Maybe, they won’t say. Rumors of either the diesel or the twin turbo 2.7(?) was it? Of course much opining for the Ranger Raptor, already available in Australia.

I don’t doubt the sales numbers, I’ve been hunting for a used Ranger and there just aren’t that many. Those that are around are priced so close to new that it doesn’t quite make sense.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
What do you mean by this? Are there changes coming?

Ouch. That had to sting Ford...

The New Ford Ranger Was Outsold By The Notably Ancient Nissan Frontier!

That news gives those of us who have had to hide our love for the Frontier as a dirty little secret, some real validation! ?

phsycle

Adventurer
... Looked at a Gladiator the other day... it’s really long.

They are kind of long, but the Gladiator would be my pick if I were buying a midsize. Plenty capable right out of the box. F&R lockers. Manual transmission. 4:1 trasfer case. Top down. 35's stock. Wowweeee

Just need to wait until the prices come down a bit.

Taco vs Fronty, in my experience having a couple of both, you pay $3k more for the Taco and you make up for it in gas with the Nissan.

The New Ford Ranger Was Outsold By The Notably Ancient Nissan Frontier!

That news gives those of us who have had to hide our love for the Frontier as a dirty little secret, some real validation! ?

LimaMikeMike

Observer
Poking around the current Ranger engine bay I don’t think there is room in there for anything other than an inline engine. It’s tight even with the current 2.3, we’ll have to wait in my opinion for a larger ecoboost option once the next gen shows in 2-3 years.

The Fronty up here is easily the best deal. 10-15k cheaper than a similar Taco.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Poking around the current Ranger engine bay I don’t think there is room in there for anything other than an inline engine. It’s tight even with the current 2.3, we’ll have to wait in my opinion for a larger ecoboost option once the next gen shows in 2-3 years.

The Fronty up here is easily the best deal. 10-15k cheaper than a similar Taco.
The 2.0L EcoBlue diesel is an inline 4 and meets EURO VI standards (e.g. might also therefore meet 2017 U.S. EPA Tier III harmonized I think).

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1805-ford-ecoblue-2-0l-technical-wonder/

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techn.../ford-ecoblue-high-efficiency-diesel-engines/

Just saying is all.

LimaMikeMike

Observer
The 2.0L EcoBlue diesel is an inline 4 and meets EURO VI standards (e.g. might also therefore meet 2017 U.S. EPA Tier III harmonized I think).

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1805-ford-ecoblue-2-0l-technical-wonder/

https://www.knowyourparts.com/techn.../ford-ecoblue-high-efficiency-diesel-engines/

Just saying is all.
Yep, it’s in the 2020 Transit for North America, powers the ranger raptor and other T6 variants. Will hopefully be a good engine, lots of power from a 2.0TT 4cyl diesel.

I was referring to the 2.7tt v6 probably not fitting, my calibrated eyeball says the ranger bay is too narrow.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yep, it’s in the 2020 Transit for North America, powers the ranger raptor and other T6 variants. Will hopefully be a good engine, lots of power from a 2.0TT 4cyl diesel.

I was referring to the 2.7tt v6 probably not fitting, my calibrated eyeball says the ranger bay is too narrow.
I tought Ford was testing a Ranger with the 2.7 TT?

D

Deleted member 9101

The 2.7 isn't an incredibly wide motor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier