Newer FUSO FG's - driven at altitude

pdx2ptg

Are you or do you know someone who is driving a newer Mitsubishi FUSO in South America? We have build our own expedition truck onto a 2015 FG & would like to drive through Central & South America.
  • How are you getting on with DEF regen at higher altitudes?
  • Have you been able to delete the DEF system? I am not particularly concerned about the issues that I might face regarding emissions should the truck return to the US.
  • Are you carrying a code reader/scanner to reset any codes? If so which one?
  • Any problems with the DPF due to higher sulphur diesel?
I would appreciate you sharing your experiences, comments & or suggestions.

If I should post this on a different thread, which one would you suggest?

Thank you very much

Pete

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
Pete

Some terminology, Mitsubishi refers to the Diesel Particulate Filter as DPF, and Diesel Exhaust Fluid as DEF.

At higher altitudes it’s possible that a DPF regeneration cycle will timeout and not complete due to insufficient air to complete the burn cycle. The FG has a manual DPF regeneration switch on the dash. You might consider the strategy of parking up and forcing a regeneration cycle before and after doing high altitude driving.

Since the DPF and SCR serve as the vehicle’s muffler removing them will be problematic. A couple of straight pieces of pipe won’t work as a replacement. You might consider a DPF replacement that is serviceable. There are companies that make them.

Regarding higher sulfur fuel, there’s different levels. Try to burn the lowest you can source. Keep in mind you’re running a CRD engine and everything that goes with it. The OEM water separator and fuel filter are adequate in protecting the fuel system regarding water and particulate matter. But nothing will stop the adventure quicker than diesel fuel contaminated with other fluids such as gasoline.

The DPF is more robust than many give it credit. What does them in is using engine oil that doesn’t meet Low Ash Specification CJ-4. During the regeneration cycle, the trapped soot, which is carbon, is converted to carbon dioxide (CO2). Many think that after the soot is burned off during regeneration ash is left. That’s not correct. It’s important to understand that there is no residue left behind from the regeneration operation. The ash comes from additives in the oil burnt during the combustion process.

Regarding DEF, using Amazon and DHL you may be able to set up mail drops to keep the adventure rolling, sorry no pun intended. What’s needed is DEF that can be sourced in a granular form and then mixed with deionized water. I think we talked about this in the past. DEF consumption with ULSD should be running between 2-3%, 2-3 gallons for every 100 gallons of diesel fuel consumed. As the fuel sulfur content increases so will the DEF consumption as the SCR system try’s to reduce the NOX emissions by injecting more DEF. Your DEF consumption can double, there may be a limit built into Mitsubishi’s algorithm. The system may fault out with a DEF quality fault since the NOX emission isn’t going down.

Being a 2015, diagnosis codes, fault codes, can be displayed using the multi- information display in the meter cluster. There are two types of diagnosis codes, current codes and past codes. Turn the starter switch to ON, then press the SELECT, MODE and SET/RES switches simultaneously. The multi-informational display in the meter cluster will enter the diagnosis mode.

How’s the Duonic transmission working out?

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Pete,

Perfect timing for this topic. I just arrived in Buenos Aires yesterday and I am camping at Andeans Road. (http://www.andeanroads.com/).
They have a few newer Sprinter as rentals and they have a full service shop, where they mostly work on foreign vehicles.

There was a French family with a Ford Transit Diesel and the mechanic was in the process of removing all the DEF system and related emissions stuff. They say their truck have been in limp mode for quite some time. They were not happy about the whole thing as their motorhome needs to go back to France in 6 months, and once there they have to reinstall everything to pass the technical control. But they had no choice.

I spoke with Chris (the owner of the place) at length over this as my wife really wants a new Sprinter 4x4. He said that they have to remove the systems all the time - apparently it's becoming a specialty for his mechanic. He said that almost everyone has issues with it eventually. He totally convinced me that having Adblue/DEF/etc is a bad idea.

Last year in Peru I met a couple who did not have any trouble (yet) with their Sprinter, except mentioning something at high altitude. I don't remember the specific.

At the end, there is no black or white answer to this unfortunately. It's a personal decision and risk assessment you will need to make, based on how much resource you have, where you want to go, how long you plan to be there, etc.

Hope this helps

Glenn C.

Travels in Wolnośc
As for DPF re-gen at altitude, I run a 2017 FG Earthcruiser here in Colorado. I live at 5300' and regularly (weekly) travel to the mountains, passes at 10-11,000' and through valleys at 8-9,000' and have had no issues with re-gen at these altitudes, being in the US I only run ULSD.
Glenn C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94