Newby taco owner

pinionmy this

Good day all, and thanks for having me.
im in NY
my truck is a 17’ tacoma TRD off-road.
front suspension; total chaos race series uppers, total chaos expidition series lowers, toyotech boss 2.5 aluminum series coil overs. Rear is ome Dakar springs and ome nitro shock (squeaks and moans like an old man). Performance; 4..88 gears, O.V. tuned, safari snorkel. Recovery, 12k winch. Armor; BA rear bumper, front bumper off road addicts, sliders home made. Wheels level 8’s and tires 33x12.5 kenda klever RT’ s 3 ply sidewall. 2 northeast marine batteries managed by Ctech smart pass and ds250a. 400w poly solar panels wi a 1500w inverter. Air by arb twin compressor with 2.5gal tank. Bed storage decked, victory off road rack, prinsu cab rack, and well as IKamper x cover. Not sure I got it all, but you get the gist

Attachments

• E1D7246C-0BA0-403E-9316-726DABB73A79.jpeg
    E1D7246C-0BA0-403E-9316-726DABB73A79.jpeg
    527 KB · Views: 33
  • 70C82CBD-B0CE-4ABC-94AF-FC0ADCCF1A77.jpeg
    70C82CBD-B0CE-4ABC-94AF-FC0ADCCF1A77.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 1E4DADC8-CA56-447A-80AB-0D5A62EC149C.jpeg
    1E4DADC8-CA56-447A-80AB-0D5A62EC149C.jpeg
    520.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DB2DF465-7234-4F36-AAAE-9FE601A2E067.jpeg
    DB2DF465-7234-4F36-AAAE-9FE601A2E067.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • BCB6DF45-A791-43A2-B09D-50EDB4CE00DD.jpeg
    BCB6DF45-A791-43A2-B09D-50EDB4CE00DD.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Nice truck. I hear a lot of people talking about Tacoma’s as being overpriced these days, but when you compare them against the new Heep Gladiator they are the best bang for buck out there.

pinionmy this

The features on the TRD off road model are amazing, lockers, crawl control, multi surface adjustable traction control, decent control, built in inverter,, as well as coming stock with Bilstien. And tow package. I’ve used the truck and it’s features, this is my third Toyota pickup, as well as owning an fj and currently a 17 4runner. They just go forever. Gladiator is also a full size truck, north east is tight trails and the few I have seen out there have maneuverability issues

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
As an owner of a 3500 longbox diesel, I’d question calling the Gladiator “fullsize”!

We have been considering a Taco for the business, and would probably do a shortbox TRD Offroad, but not the Pro. For the money I’d prefer to do my own suspension etc. This is also due to needing 4 doors. I’d be fine with an Access Cab for personal use, but there are other people involved. The “Offroad” package for the 4 door models is totally neutered. The lack of a locker in the 4 door is seriously ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Nice truck. I hear a lot of people talking about Tacoma’s as being overpriced these days, but when you compare them against the new Heep Gladiator they are the best bang for buck out there.

Tacoma is not over-priced compared to what the Gladiator, Wrangler and Ranger are selling for. You can also find them for $4k-$6k below MSRP if you go with a slightly used one.

Base Colorado's and Frontiers can be had for cheaper, but I'd argue the Tacoma's higher price is justified by quality/durability advantages.

We have been considering a Taco for the business, and would probably do a shortbox TRD Offroad, but not the Pro. For the money I’d prefer to do my own suspension etc. This is also due to needing 4 doors. I’d be fine with an Access Cab for personal use, but there are other people involved. The “Offroad” package for the 4 door models is totally neutered. The lack of a locker in the 4 door is seriously ridiculous.

The 4 door TRD Offroad package comes with a rear locker.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Really. Interesting that they don’t mention that on their website when you look at the difference between models. Could you show me where you see that? I’m looking at the Offroad Premium package, not the Pro.

I guess I need to clarify too that it’s the doublecab, NOT access cab I'm looking at.

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
Really. Interesting that they don’t mention that on their website when you look at the difference between models. Could you show me where you see that? I’m looking at the Offroad Premium package, not the Pro.

I guess I need to clarify too that it’s the doublecab, NOT access cab I'm looking at.
If you hit the "compare trims" option you will see that the locker is included on all TRD Off Roads, regardless of cab option.

It was kind of hard to find, so I see how you overlooked it. You would think Toyota would flaunt that as an advertising opportunity anytime someone was shopping trim levels on Tacomas...
d6c4d51940e6b99f60420caaf77eff0d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had hit the “compare” tab when I got to the Offroad models, but couldn’t find the lockers there. I dug a little deeper and found the info when going a few tabs deep in the basic comparisons. Very cool to know you can still get a factory locker in a doublecab. It wouldn’t make sense to do it any other way, but it also doesn’t make sense that they don’t have rear discs or that there is no diesel option from Toyota in N.A. Thanks for setting me straight!

8F9378C0-5FF7-42E6-B885-0DB204D12F09.jpeg

Last edited:

pinionmy this

Also with the offroad and pro you get multi surface traction control, which is adjustable, as well as adjustable hill decent
which are amazing features. Tc give you the option to think twice about weather you should go for it, lockers will go till you break ********

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles