T-roy

Hey guys,

I've been reading every post for about a year, just reading and learning. My wife and I are completely sold on the tacoma. We have a 99' ext. cab 4x2 prerunner and a 04' DC 4wd. We aren't extreme off-roaders, but we are slowly working our way into it. We have both been highly impressed with the knowledge on this forum and want to say thank you for all the good info.

I have one question. I read something about Bajataco's comment on the diff drop, but seem to have lost the thread. I'm going to have donahoe's installed on the 04' tacoma and I only want to go to with 2" of lift. Is a diff drop really needed?

thanks,
T-roy

Attachments

• 0716061823.jpg
    0716061823.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 38

97kurt

Adventurer
If you have a 4x2 then you dont have a front diff. So no diff drop is needed with the donahoes.

T-roy

97kurt said:
If you have a 4x2 then you dont have a front diff. So no diff drop is needed with the donahoes.

I already have Donahoe's in the 4x2 and yes, I realize it doesn't need a diff drop. I another Tacoma that is a 4x4. I want to install Donahoe's on the 4x4 as well, do I really need a diff drop?

97kurt

Adventurer
My bad.. :D

2" lift I would say your fine without the drop. Anything over that I would consider getting one.

Scott Brady

Founder
At 2", no diff drop is required...

Oh, and you have great taste in 4wd's :ylsmoke:

What is next after the suspension?

T-roy

This truck is a daily driver so I was thinking 5100's and Deaver 7 leaf's in the back. I'm very open to suggestions.

After the suspension upgrade, I need to buy roof racks for a up coming surf trip in northern Cali. My next mod will be Demello bolt on sliders. I'm still debating on who to go with as far as front and back bumpers.

Scott Brady

Founder
Only use the 7-leafs with fiberglass bed sides / empty bed. Even 200lbs. in the bed is too much.

I would recommend the following for the rated constant load:
7 leaf for fiberglass bed to 0lbs.
8 leaf for 0-200lbs.
9 leaf for 0-600lbs.
10 leaf for 200-1000lbs. stock payload replacement (remember, you loose the stock overload)
11 leaf for 600lbs.-1,400lbs.

It is important to remember that Deaver leaves are progressive, and do not have an overload (to prevent a negative arch). These custom, racing style packs should be custom fit to the load, height and use of the truck.

When they are spec'd right, the ride and performance is awesome!

Last edited:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
It is important to remember that Deaver leaves are not progressive, and do not have an overload (to prevent a negative arch).

Scott, Did you mean to say they are progressive?

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
T-Roy, nice of you to post up. I agree, great taste in vehicles!

T-roy said:
I read something about Bajataco's comment on the diff drop, but seem to have lost the thread. I'm going to have donahoe's installed on the 04' tacoma and I only want to go to with 2" of lift. Is a diff drop really needed?

Just for the record, here is a quote from my website regarding the diff drop...

[FONT=verdana,georgia]"Next, let's talk about the differential drop. This is a popular modification that kind of reminds me of the "deck plate mod" (If you don't know what I am talking about, you can do a search on google.com for "tacoma deck plate mod") Why does it remind me of the deck plate mod? I guess because a lot of people do it and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I am not so convinced that it is all that great :)[/FONT][FONT=verdana,georgia]The differential drop modification has recently gained widespread popularity. The "diff drop" is simply adding spacers (machined aluminum or steel, or even stacked fender washers from the hardware store) between the front differential and the frame, to create more distance between the two. The reason for doing so, is that by lowering the diff on a truck with a lifted suspension, you will decrease the angle of the CV joints on the front axles (half-shafts). Obviously, by doing this, you will also decrease the ground clearance below the differential (this may not matter depending on your skid plate arrangement). Some people may not realize that by lowering the diff, they are also changing the pinion angle of the front drive shaft. It may not be anything significant depending on how much the diff is lowered, but I don't know what kind of effect (if any) this may have over the long term. Another thing some people might not realize, is that while you may be decreasing the angle of the CV joints while the suspension sits level, or is extended, you will actually increase the angle of the CV joints when the suspension is compressed. The diff drop is an easy modification to do, and may be worth considering if you are a person that wants to run their coilover suspension lift at it's limits, creating extreme CV angles. I only run my coilover lift at about 2.5", so I don't really think the diff drop is worth the bother. My CV joints and CV boots have been just fine like this for years with no problems."[/FONT]

T-roy

You guys Rock!

Thanks for all the info! And thank god, my wife like tacoma's and beer. All the insight has been amazing. My wife and I are eager to do some trail blazing. The suspension is on it's way and I have a vacation to Yosemite coming up in September. We are going to hit up some very mellow trails.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Nice Taco's BTW! I wish my wife would want one, but hey, I never let her drive mine, so how could she want one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior