Newbie to Toyota FJ80 Pros and Cons...

newimage

Wood Burner
Traded My Chevy Diesel 4x4 and going to a 91 Toyota 4x4 Landcruiser. White with Grey interior 202K miles
Also picked up a 94 Landcruiser in the deal a little beat but a good base project running.
Great Condition a few minor cosmetic issues but a good base as it a virgin (Stock) no misuse or hacked up.
Looking to do a OME 2" Lift with 5100 Bilsteins to start what else do I need to look for and take care of.
I know the gas mileage sucks but what can I do to help it out?
Thanks

Box Rocket

The motor (3FE) in the '91 is very underpowered for this truck. The '91 will also have a semi-float rear axle and drum rear brakes. No lockers available for the '91. That's really about it for cons. It's still a good truck, but the low power is the biggest downside.
Better motor (1FZ-FE) in the '94 is MUCH better but still slow by today's standards. The motor can be prone to headgasket failure if the cooling system is neglected. Transmissions and t-cases are pretty bomb proof. Never heard of a failure of either of those, personally. Pros of the '94 will be full floater rear axle and disc brakes all around. And the option of factory lockers. Not sure if you're has them, but look for a dial on the dash below and to the left of the steering wheel.
With either of the trucks, they will be great family off-roaders and surprisingly capable in just about any terrain. I've been a big fan and we're on our second one. If you haven't found it yet, check out IH8MUD.com and the forum there. There is a huge section for 80 series cruisers with TONS of info that can help you with just about anything.

The_Jayhawker

Observer
Yep. What box Rocket said. I sold my 87 Isuzu trooper with 60k original miles and bought an 94 80 series with many more miles. Why? Reputation of the 80 to be tough and last forever and dealer support that still exists. Love my 80. Welcome to the addiction!

newimage

Wood Burner
The motor (3FE) in the '91 is very underpowered for this truck. The '91 will also have a semi-float rear axle and drum rear brakes. No lockers available for the '91. That's really about it for cons. It's still a good truck, but the low power is the biggest downside.
Better motor (1FZ-FE) in the '94 is MUCH better but still slow by today's standards. The motor can be prone to headgasket failure if the cooling system is neglected. Transmissions and t-cases are pretty bomb proof. Never heard of a failure of either of those, personally. Pros of the '94 will be full floater rear axle and disc brakes all around. And the option of factory lockers. Not sure if you're has them, but look for a dial on the dash below and to the left of the steering wheel.
With either of the trucks, they will be great family off-roaders and surprisingly capable in just about any terrain. I've been a big fan and we're on our second one. If you haven't found it yet, check out IH8MUD.com and the forum there. There is a huge section for 80 series cruisers with TONS of info that can help you with just about anything.

Might switch out the rear end off the 94 since it does have a e locker and discs!

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Either FZJ or FJ80's are slow. I have owned an FJ80 with the 3FE for 15 years haven taken it all around North America and lived out of it for extended periods. Only time the power was an issue for me was living in Colorado and driving I70 over the passes. 45mph on the freeway wasn't my idea of fun. If you are at or near sea level like where we are living now it isn't a big deal, especially if you don't do much freeway driving. To me, the bigger issue with the FJ80 is the brakes, the FZJ80 has much better braking systems and if I was living and driving daily in city traffic I would want the FZJ's brakes for sure. I had considered doing a full floater swap to get the axle and brakes from an FZJ at one point but since we live in the sticks and our 80 doesn't spend much time on pavement, its a non issue at the moment. The 3FE is the last of the old school OHV F series engines. Having owned 60's and grown up in 40's, I love the low end tractor like torque of the 3FE, its a great motor for lugging around off road. Some folks actually praise the 3FE for that reason. If you decide to build the FJ80, keep the weight down, and don't go over 33's without regearing. Some say 31's but haven basically raced an equally built and loaded FJ80 with 31's vs mine with 33's at altitude in CO, the difference between 31's and 33's are nil in my experience. Others say the 33's made it worse but real world I didn't see it.

The standard 15" wheels for the FJ make tire size options more difficult. I believe there are only 3 tires you can still get in a 33x10.50 which I think is the ideal size for an FJ80. I have 33x12.50's right now and am planning on going to 10.50's as I think it will make it easier on the motor at highway speeds.

Both 80's are built well, the FJ's are a bit more spartan than the FZJ's which have more luxury features. I see the FJ as the best of the old 62 series combined with the chassis and ride of the 80 series. But its kind of the red headed step child. But when it comes to no worries, it is pretty awesome. Look up pesky heater hose and head gasket issues on the FZJ's, these are issues you don't have to worry about the the FJ. The FZJ gets a bit better fuel economy and is better suited for highway speeds. Personally I find both to be rather pig like when loaded on the highway.

Hope that helps! Oh and why not just use the OME Nitrochargers with the OME springs vs Bilsteins?

Box Rocket

Interesting you said you might swap the axle from the '94 into the '91 because it has the elocker and disc brakes. That should mean that the front locker from the '94 also has an elocker correct? Unless you have a truck where someone swapped in just a locked rear axle. Whichever truck you end up building, I'd suggest using both locked axles on that truck.
Also, I'm with Kristian on the shocks. I'd go with the OME shocks paired with the OME springs.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Along with the items mentioned above, you can figure on $2K or so plus to baseline the truck on average. See if you can find out if and when the axles were serviced, front axle specifically the inner seal creates issues with the birfs when it goes. Take a look at all the suspension bushings as they can dry out and fall apart. It is not uncommon for the rubber to separate from the metal of the bushing. Check springs and shocks, if they are original it is time to replace. Power driver's seat often has issues that a gear replacement will fix.

Take a look at all the little vacuum lines under the hood. Toyota uses a LOT of vacuum lines. If they are all old and stiff, do yourself a big favor and go through and replace each one of them. Do it one at a time cause you will never remember where they go. It will cost you under $50 or so and an afternoon with your favorite adult beverage but you will thank yourself as time goes on. Give it a tune up and check the timing

Change all fluids

Once you have the rig base lined you can start looking at often neglected items like sun roof drain lines Once base lined these rigs are very capable, safe and dependable.

Certainly go over to www.IH8MUD.com and go to the 80 section. You'll find out things about your truck you never considered.

Good lluck with your new rigs!!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Might switch out the rear end off the 94 since it does have a e locker and discs!

That has been done in my truck. Bolt in and go. 15" wheels though will require grinding of the brake caliper unless you only have like 2" of b/s. I am running a 15" with 3.65" b/s wheels and have had to grind the caliper. Stock I think is 4.25" of b/s. Plan to go to 17" wheels and 37's, shooting for a 4" b/s wheel or a bit less. I like the 3.65" of b/s as it is right there as far as keeping brakes in the wheel but giving a touch more stance. No issues too with a 12.5" wide tire and rubbing on the inside of the wheel well which can be a problem with to much b/s and 12.5" or wider tires. It is getting very hard to find wheels in the 3-4" b/s range though. Most wheels these days are 4+" of b/s.

The 91 lacks the e-locker stuff. You can swap it out from the other Cruiser or you can run an aftermarket kit. I am using Low Range Off-Road's e-locker kit and it is a great. Easy, plug and play and a good kit, zero issues for me in over a year with it. I personally like the earlier 80's better. I like the grill that says "Toyota" more and I like less bling. Cloth seats and interior I think rocks over the leather. Less electrical to deal with too. I kind of like the manual heater more too over the later style electric one.

Like others have said, you may want to check out Mud. Stuff has been going NLA on Cruisers these last few years. There is a few threads on Mud about this. The 3FE stuff is all going away and some already has. I been buying a lot of Toyota parts for mine the last year and a half. Replaced all the rubber inside and out of cab for example. I have only found a few things NLA. Dash cap pad being one. Early heater stuff being another. E-brake boot is also NLA. Everything else I have been able to get, that comes to mind right now anyways, and what I couldn't get for a 91, stuff from the later years works fine and or is the same. But FJ60/62 stuff is going byebye and coming next is the FJ80's (as mentioned already some of that for the early 80s) and after that the FZJ80's. In 5-10yrs getting everything for your Cruiser from Toyota may be a thing of the past. :(

Cheers

newimage

Wood Burner
Thanks for the heads up...

Great info and starting the maintainance first off it was well kept but its better that I KNOW when the service was done.
Kinda dig the Base unit 91 over the 94 Pimp Ride with leather and such.
Not worried if the dogs have a fight in the back seat on cloth the leather worries me.
Yes its not a speed demon but it will get there eventually.
Ordered a TJM T17 Bumper today great deal for 525.00 from Slee offroad
Couldnt justify a 1200.00 bumper right now so this fits the bill plus I have a 9500lb winch to fill it in.
Now a custom 4Runner swing away Tire carrier and yes Im reinforcing the interior skin with 3/16 steel
Not my first rodeo...done a couple of jeeps before and I worked for Tony at GenRight...
Let the fun begin..

expeditionist

Observer
I agree with everything said above. The 80 series may be the best 4wd ever built. I have owned one of everything 4wd from Toyota at this point and the 80 series, even unlocked, is hands down the most capable. I owned my '94 for 3 years and ultimately sold it only because the underpowered 1FZ-FE just couldn't cut it getting through the mountains here in Colorado. Only other con for me was the MPG, but I got over that.

newimage

Wood Burner
All Service is done!

Really Digging this rig Roomy Great Ride Comfy
So far.
All Fluids changed out.Front rear Diff Transfer case
New KN Filter all Radiator Hoses changed
New Wiper arms and Blades Others were broken and taped together...Geez
Tint 20% Rear 35% Front
TJM T-17 Winch bumper Scored it for 550.00! with a Used Warn 9000ti winch and a 12" LED Light Bar 120 Watt
Eclipse AVN 20 DVD Player Touch Screen with JVC 4" Front Speakers & 6.5 Kenwood Rear speakers working on a 6.5 Subwoofer to go into the stock Location Subwoofer box with a RockFord 150.1 Mono Amp.
Cobra 75 CB Radio with KD40 magnetic Mount Antenna
Of Course First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher, Viair Twin Head Air Compressor with a 5gallon Winnie tank Gonna Mount it underhood with Trail head Tire Deflators,30Ft Tow strap, Shackles and other safety Stuff and tools in a bug out bag.
Building a 44x87x4" High Custom Roof Rack to carry a 48" Hi Lift, Shovel and Axe Combo Couldnt Justify $1000.00 for a ARB/ Defender rack and since we build Off Road trailers I can build it for about 250.00 with Gutter Mount brackets.

On The Horizon.
Slee Off Road Transfer case skid
A/C Dryer Skid
Custom Rocker Sliders cant Justify the 750.00 that everyone wants 2x3 .250wall sliders will protect it fine.
3.5 OME Lift Meduim Duty
Still like my Bilstein 5100 Shocks but will look at the OME Shocks
I have Tundra 16" Rims and 31x10.5/16 New MTRs to use for now but will get Falken 285/75/16 Tires later
Gonna build a interior rack to carry Spare and have space below for storage it will be designed as a slider and carry a 33" Spare. did it for a Jeep TJ Before came out nice.

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
With a lot of maintenance 80s are excellent, otherwise... Not so much, most are overpriced and beat down.

I own a 92.

Aftermarket is slimmer pickings and more expensive than a Tacoma or 4runner.

Be ready and be able to work on it, extensively, yourself. Or have the funds to pay someone.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had a late yr 93. HGs issues come from driving it like a V8 bombing down the highway with a profile like a brick. Check out the pesky water hose!!! Yep thats what we call it.

Great truck fix the leaks correctly and youll love it. Patch it up cheap and youll hate it.

newimage

Wood Burner
With a lot of maintenance 80s are excellent, otherwise... Not so much, most are overpriced and beat down.

I own a 92.

Aftermarket is slimmer pickings and more expensive than a Tacoma or 4runner.

Be ready and be able to work on it, extensively, yourself. Or have the funds to pay someone.

Thats why Im Building most of my own stuff I have friends who owe me favors ;) So Im good on the fabrication part thought about a reat tire carrier but the thought of an interior carrier is better for me so I dont have to openand swinga way a tire.
Plus it would only go in when Im traveling I have AAA towing if it gets a flat in city.
I will keep the factory spare and a second when we go down to Baja.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94