Newbie needs help spending money!

Kach

I'm brand-new to motorcycles and looking to get into riding dual-sport/adventure. My background is in backpacking and overland type camping in my truck. A bike would get me further and appeals to my minimalist tendencies. After rattling down all of the washboard dirt roads on Costa Rica in a rental Jimny, I've really developed some serious dreams about riding abroad. It seems like such a pure way to explore the world.

So now I'm trying to pick out my first bike for around home. My inclination is to get something light and basic in the 250 class, but I'm looking at my rides around home as training for future global rides which may or may not be on a bit larger bikes. I will definitely have some basic luggage on whatever I get and be sometimes camping off of the bike. I'm about 1/2 hour of 55 mph 2-lane hwy from back roads that will get me to hundreds of miles of national forest exploring and camping. I'm jumping out of my skin to check out all of the roads that are just a bit too narrow and overgrown for my Tundra.

I'm not sure if I'll be into highway riding enough to want to ride that highway stretch or just trailer it, but would be nice to have the option. I'll probably never ride highway long-distance.

So that said, here's where I'm at based on the few bikes I'm aware of from people I know or just research and videos:

TW200: well liked, very basic but reliable, 5-speed so highway would be pushing it

TT250: yeah it's from China, but has good reviews, same shortcomings as TW200 but has front and rear discs and it's cheap enough to be almost disposable if it does t work out. I really have a soft spot in my heart for this one for reasons I can't explain

Rx3: another China bike, comes kitted out for adventure, my friend has one and likes it

Klr650: maybe a bit much for right now, but would be as much bike as I'd ever need, used ones with some nice mods cost about the same as the rx3 new, solves any highway concerns, seems to have a good following and I see them in rental fleets all over when searching for future travel destinations.

I'd appreciate any input - sorry for being so long-winded!

nickw

Adventurer
For a beginner bike to truly "explore" vs riding fast / performance oriented riding / hwy cruising, tough to beat a TW200. They are cool rigs, easy to handle, have lots of storage options and low to the ground. They don't do well at 55+, which sounds like you are aware of.

You are not going to want a TW200 on an international trip unless you are doing backrounds slowly....but may be a good place to start, get your feet wet and step up to something larger from there.

I'd steer clear of any chinese option, I know they are cheap and have good reputation, but I'd be concerned about parts availability and the PITA factor, but if your handy, YMMV.

jkam

nomadic man
Don't know your budget but...
The above mentioned Xt 250 along with the XR 250 L would be good places to start.
If you want to really pony up, look at the WR 250 from Yamaha.
I'd start used though, you will drop it, and learning on a used bike is less expensive.
Consider my favorite, the KL 250 Super Sherpa. It's what I ride, not easy to find these days, but they are out there.
Great do it all, all around dependable, easy to ride bike that will give you years of riding pleasure.
You could even fix one up to go RTW if you wanted.

Traveling250

First, good call on a little bike. I rode an SR250 around central america and certainly never wanted anything bigger.

Don't be afraid of the TW200 and freeway speeds. It's better to stay off the freeways anyway, and smaller roads in the USA will be more fun. Once you are into Mexico and Central America, you won't be going any faster.

I also have an RX3 and love it. I think, to be honest, it's the best bang-for-buck overland moto out there right now, and so far I haven't any any issues getting parts from CSC (or standards bolts and bearings). The seat is pretty bad though.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Get married and have kids and you won't need any help spending money.
Honda XRs are stupid simple and go forever.

Kach

Thank for all of the info everyone! Looks like it all kind of confirms the type of bike I've been wanting. I think the TW200 is my front runner right now, but it looks aike all of the bikes mentioned are good choices as well.

I'm not too worried about highway speeds - I'll probably usually trailer to Forest service lands or trail systems. I live in a small town and can explore a lot close by without getting on the highway.

dirtysouth

Adventurer
If I was looking at one of the smaller offerings, I'd consider the WR250R. It is fuel injected, has a 6 speed transmission, has the best suspension out of them all, and it doesn't require valve check/adjustments every 6k miles like most others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles