Newbie! My 2014 Forester 2.0XT Build

Aliveoutofhabit

Since this is my first post, I suppose it's customary to introduce my build! I like weird cars and while a Forester isn't that weird, it isn't the most common to see lifted and off-road. Here are the specs:

2014 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring
2" front / 2.375" rear ADF Lift
18x8 +38 Method Race wheels
235/60R18 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T tires
Class 2 trailer hitch
More to come...

I've had the car for about a year now and am getting ready for my first trip... to the desert! We're planning on touring Jawbone Canyon... any thoughts?

I'm hoping to have my roof basket by then for extra storage and good looks.
a67fe99905ea825e4eec94d0ac309ddf.jpg
ca9cd49fd3548f13ec1bf2fe0d610de6.jpg
6552b2b6eed43e67572fc4d0cfd35bcf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Aliveoutofhabit

How did the lift and tires affect the ride quality? My wife drives a 2017 xt and loves it.
The ride quality did not change noticeably with the lift. The XT has fairly stiff struts, springs, and sway-bars from the factory so even with the lift nothing really changed. There isn't even a lot more body roll! Moving to the bigger tires improved ride quality a lot. The size I chose will fit on the factory 18" wheels without a lift and with no rubbing.

Rob G.

borison

Adventurer
Looks good. We have a 2015 Forester and I’ve been considering similar mods. Can you post a side pic so I can get a better look at the tires, wheels and lift? Thanks.

Aliveoutofhabit

Looks good. We have a 2015 Forester and I’ve been considering similar mods. Can you post a side pic so I can get a better look at the tires, wheels and lift? Thanks.
It's as high as you can go without major modifications to the front end and engine subframe. Any kit over 1" requires lowering the rear subframe. I believe there is a 3rd gen Forester with a 4" lift driving around the internet.
3f35699e619c9816b990c22e380d225c.jpg
1d6628e7eefb052139f7c9508117ce64.jpg

Rob G.

borison

Adventurer
Thanks for the pics and info. I’ve thought about a strut spacer and slightly bigger tires. We’ve got the touring model. I’d like to go to the smallest wheel possible for tire options. I don’t think I can go below 17”, but I’ve seen the same model Forester w/ 16” wheels. Maybe the touring model has bigger calipers. I’d like to add some skid plates as well. I’ve got a 96 OBW w/ strut spacers, skids and beefier General Grabbers. It’s a lot of fun.

Aliveoutofhabit

Thanks for the pics and info. I’ve thought about a strut spacer and slightly bigger tires. We’ve got the touring model. I’d like to go to the smallest wheel possible for tire options. I don’t think I can go below 17”, but I’ve seen the same model Forester w/ 16” wheels. Maybe the touring model has bigger calipers. I’d like to add some skid plates as well. I’ve got a 96 OBW w/ strut spacers, skids and beefier General Grabbers. It’s a lot of fun.
If you have a 2.0XT you can't go smaller than a 17" wheel due to larger front calipers. If it's an NA model than I believe you can run 16s.

Rob G.

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Nice Forester! Any more mods? I’m in the market for a 2017-2018 XT. Any words of wisdom or advice? Do you regret getting the turbo model over the NA?

Aliveoutofhabit

Nice Forester! Any more mods? I’m in the market for a 2017-2018 XT. Any words of wisdom or advice? Do you regret getting the turbo model over the NA?

Thanks for bringing this back from the dead.

The car has changed a lot!

More lift, bigger tires, custom winch bumper, and more to come...

In a couple of the pics my winch rope is not installed. It broke recently but is getting replaced soon. I definitely don't regret getting the turbo. Skid plates are an absolute must if you're gonna do actual real offroading (rocky trails, etc.). Definitely get a later model (16-18) XT as the 14s and 15s have problems with the CVTs. Otherwise enjoy!

Check it all out on my Instagram account @omgfoz the build sheet is linked on there.

Attachments

• 20190503_174022.jpg
    20190503_174022.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20190420_202501_633.jpg
    IMG_20190420_202501_633.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20190516_060506_875.jpg
    IMG_20190516_060506_875.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Yeah, keep updating the thread please. I have a 2016 Outback and would love to "pimp-it-overland-style".

Did you find that the ADF lift helped with clearing real-life obstacles? My understanding is that it helps with keeping the body panels off of the ground, but there isn't much increase of clearance under the body. Is that right or wrong?

Aliveoutofhabit

Yeah, keep updating the thread please. I have a 2016 Outback and would love to "pimp-it-overland-style".

Did you find that the ADF lift helped with clearing real-life obstacles? My understanding is that it helps with keeping the body panels off of the ground, but there isn't much increase of clearance under the body. Is that right or wrong?

Follow my Instagram to keep up with the build @omgfoz. Also join the MtnRoo Facebook group, there are a few thousand offroad/overlanding Subaru owners there.

As far as the lift question, that's somewhat true. The ground clearance increase is substantial up front since you do not have to drop the subframe. The rear does not net a big ground clearance increase since you do drop the rear subframe 2". However you can then run larger tires and the increased ride height greatly improves approach and departure angles as well as break over. The lift is 100% worth it. Plus you get +1,000,000 cool points!

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Follow my Instagram to keep up with the build @omgfoz. Also join the MtnRoo Facebook group, there are a few thousand offroad/overlanding Subaru owners there.

As far as the lift question, that's somewhat true. The ground clearance increase is substantial up front since you do not have to drop the subframe. The rear does not net a big ground clearance increase since you do drop the rear subframe 2". However you can then run larger tires and the increased ride height greatly improves approach and departure angles as well as break over. The lift is 100% worth it. Plus you get +1,000,000 cool points!

Social media isn't my cup of tea..but I will be paying close attention to anything you post here.

Thanks for clarifying the clearance situation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94