Newbie looking for advice

mtbnmat

Hey all, so I have the opportunity to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee from my local volunteer fire department, I am completely new to jeeps so I am looking for any advice I can get on the subject.

'96 grand Cherokee limited
127k miles
Completely stock
Bfg at 70% tread
Runs great mostly. Occasionally konks out temporarily for an as yet to be determined reason ( suspected electrical issue)

It is being offered to me for $1000 because I'm a volunteer.

It was driven an average of twice a week by the assistant chief responding to calls, it was not driven hard, never been off road.

This would be my first vehicle let alone jeep, I want it mostly for highway driving but frequently on logging roads and mild off roading, nothing major.

I have been looking for a Toyota but at this price and miles, would this be a good option?
If I end up not liking it for some reason, will I be able to get my money out of it?
What are you guys thoughts?

Feel free to ask any questions

Thanks in advance, Matt

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
For a $1000!? Shoot I would would snatch that thing up right away. Really check out the frame and look around for any bad rust. If it were me, I would buy it and keep it as is for a few months to really see how you like the vehicle and whether or not it has any problems arise. If you don't like it and/or problems do arise, you should be able to sell it likely for $3000, give or take. One thing about the 4.0 is that it is by far the most proven bulletproof motor Jeep has put in one of their vehicles and 127k miles is nothing.

I really suggest you snap some pictures and post them up on here. It would really help a lot.

Hopefully this helped a little.

-G

Stryder106

Explorer
Well - as the dad of a daughter who's first car is a 1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ with a 4.0L - I will tell you this: If you live in California in a heavily populated area, you are going to get with a really stringent smog requirement called NOX. 90%+ of all 94-95 4.0L Jeeps fail the smog test due to that. It is a royal PITA. Other than that, it's awesome - so for $1000 I'd jump all over it - other than the CA smog issue.

mtbnmat

I posted this on jeepforum also, an everybody is telling me not to go with a jeep at all if I'm trying to not spend a ton of money on it. Do jeeps typically cost a lot to run?

AgentOrange76

Adventurer
Fire departments tend to take really good care of their stuff. That's a definite bonus. With that mileage at that price that's a total steal. I'd be all over it. I've got the 4.0 and that thing is a champ. If nothing else you could sell it or get a partial trade on a rusty Toyota :sombrero:

stoicalpear

ZJ is a great platform. Its solid axle front and rear. It will come with a D35 rear and a LP d30 up front if it has not been swapped out. They are decent axles for smaller builds. I would not trust the d35 with too much weight though as it is a c clip axle and the weight of the vehicle will be resting on the axles shafts. Having linked suspension from the factory is awesome offroad though and can have great amounts of articulation even mostly stock. The 4.0 power plant, well it speaks for its self. Its awesome. Slightly lethargic in that platform as the ZJ is a bit heavy. The transfer case that is stock (NP242) is a great case and since the ZJ's have such a long wheel base, you wont need a SYE anytime soon even with a lift. About the weakest link in the rig would be the trans. The 42re is "ok" at best... I have seen several (I own two ZJ's with north of 250k on them) with higher mileage and no severe issues with the trans but just know that its not something to be proud of. Keep on top of fluids for it and you should see good life from it.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Do jeeps typically cost a lot to run?

Not really, they are more of an expensive hobby if you aren't careful. Keep in mind that the more stock you keep it, the less parts you will need replaced or broken technically speaking. Like stoicalpear said, D35 isn't an axle to bet money on regarding strength but if you keep the build relatively mild it'll work just fine for you. Since you seem to want to base the vehicle around a mild build based on your first post, I think this is a great platform for you to work off of for highway and offroad driving.

paroxysym

Adventurer
I posted this on jeepforum also, an everybody is telling me not to go with a jeep at all if I'm trying to not spend a ton of money on it. Do jeeps typically cost a lot to run?

previously owning a 95 XJ with a 4.0 and a TJ with a 4.0, they are relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain- with the proper maintenance youll get a couple hundred thousand out of it. only realy issue I foresee with the ZJ with a 4..0 is the tranny- it can be a real ***** sometimes, I know a buddy of mine blew his 3 times(granted he was a lead foot, had it lifted with some 31s). but 127k, maintained properly- for a $1000 I wouldn't hesitate, plus with full coil suspension a lift wont cost much at all.

jeeps don't get expensive until you buy the newer stuff with all the electronic stuff

AZ4X4DUDE

Dirt road please!
I've previously have owned 3 XJ's myself and you cant go wrong with 4.0 motor,very reliable, like stated above ^^ with proper maintenance it will go a long ways/time! For 1k i would definitely take advantage of that opportunity!

MOguy

Explorer

Jeep Forum caters to a different crowd. There they are more into harder core off roading, The bigger the build the better. Building bigger cost bigger $$$$. As far as maintaining that Jeep and normal maintenance it will cost less then many other vehicles that age.

mtbnmat

Big thanks to everyone that took the time to give some advise, it's ready good to here from people who are experienced on the subject. I will take it in to my local mechanic an have it looked through just to make sure there isn't anything else needing attention that someone missed. If it can be fixed for less then $500 I think I'll buy it, could someone possibly send me a link to the thread about diagnosing the stalling issue?

MOguy

Explorer
Big thanks to everyone that took the time to give some advise, it's ready good to here from people who are experienced on the subject. I will take it in to my local mechanic an have it looked through just to make sure there isn't anything else needing attention that someone missed. If it can be fixed for less then $500 I think I'll buy it, could someone possibly send me a link to the thread about diagnosing the stalling issue?

I had a 2001 grand that would stall at slow speeds. The windows would not roll up right and the radio would work but once your got moving faster than a bout 10mph everything was fine. I put in a new battery and it fixed it all.

mtbnmat

Sorry about the mix up, I got to take some pics of the jeep today an it's actually a 96 limited with gray leather, would post some pics but I can't figure out how to do such a thing.
If you all are interested, I was able to post pics on jeepforum though,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/#/forumsite/20623/topics/3926985?page=1

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles