Newbie beginning the search

jvander

I am a backcountry bird hunter starting the search for a trailer suitable for 3-4 day stints off the grid my tent days are past me. I tried a truck camper and it just did not work for me. While conditions will not include a lot of extreme off roading washboard and prairie roads will be encountered. Tow vehicle is half ton truck. This is just for one person. Weather conditions are sometimes a bit extreme so I would like to have sufficient hight to be able to sit up and read with legs in natural sitting position, Id say a min of 5 feet would be fine. Also will need to heat for occasional cold conditions. The heat is something I will probably do myself as I have had very positive experiences with airtronic diesel in a sail boat. Intech is def on my short list and will be taking a look at them at expo east this year. Ive also seen trail markers website and they look very nice and I have reached out by email and phone and found the engagement pretty limited which concerns me but do plan on trying to see one. Im not looking for tons of bells and whistles just solid build , reasonable insulation.Im ambivalent about built in kitchens. My electrical talents are good and would not be intimidated enhancing on my own to include solar etc. Id like to stay south of $20K. I'd welcome any thoughts, recommended brands to explore or any points on what NOT to do. Ive read a lot on herethats been very helpful, thanks for any insights you might share.

gaap master

SE Expedition Society
A couple of brands to check out are Rustic Trail Teardrop Campers and WeeRoll. In addition to their websites, for both brands there are owner/enthusiast groups on Facebook which are pretty active.

Those are two of the brands I’ve been thinking about for down the road after I sell my small off-road trailer with roof top tent.

I reached out to Trailmarker a year or so ago. They were very responsive at the time.

s.e.charles

for something like this, you might consider a "start-up" company or even a local guy who likes to build things. a company is going to spend your money in uniform shirts, pencils & other G&A things rather than quality materials in your trailer.

from a design standpoint, you will be annoyed as hell if you can "almost" stand up. bite the bullet and make it a least 6" taller than you are in the Interior dimension. you won't realistically notice the difference towing and certainly Will on a three day rainy spell.

cargo trailer out of the question?

Grassland

Trailmarker, Weeroll, Intech. If you have money and can wait a long time, VMI Offroad.
Try to find an older Livin Lite camp light 11FK maybe? Pre Thor ownership.

Stay away from Forest River NOBO and the clones from other lines owned by FR. Also stay away from things owned by Thor.

Oh yeah Mission Overland has a pop top that I think you can stand at the one end.

jvander

Thanks for the input so far. WeRoll looks very interesting, Im pretty capable of finishing but have no metal work skills so thats seems viable.
A Cargo trailer is not out of the question though have friends in the trades and most have pretty poor build quality, any brands stand out?
Intersting idea Ill see what might be around locally not aware of any. Regarding hight I often hunt pretty deep in some of national forests and have concerns about hieght greater than truck. I am heading on trip soon and plan to carefully evaluate what hight I can safely live with. Is it really the case that it makes little difference towing?
Ill check out Sunday thanks
VMI looks bit over my budget , some wait time does not worry me.
I get the issues with mainline RV manufacturers my truck camper was a POS. The Livn Lite look interesting, thanks what is pre Thor ownership?

Grassland

Thor owned it sometime around 2015 I think, and things took a turn for the worse by 2017 for sure.
They changed things like the floor and roof, going to a composite floor rather than aluminium, and to an EPDM or TPO roof rather than aluminium.

I don't know where you are but there are pretty well zero used Livin Lite units within 800km of my city any time I've looked.

The camp lite units might be tall for you though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles