Newb here — I need some basic recovery gear and a compressor. Where do I start?


Expedition Leader
The International 4 Wheel Drive Association
You can see the information at

The standards are NOT "send in some money and your a member". NO! you have to know and be able to show that you know what your teaching and how to present it. You need 3 years of proof of training prior to even being considered to become part of the association. You have to pass written, practical examination, and peer review, to prove your skills. The last testing was a month ago for a dozen or so people.

Most people do not know this, but it is unfortunately true. For the United States and the world (with the exception of Australia) anyone can call themselves a expert 4X4 teacher. They have no laws or testing that say you even have to know how to drive a 4X4. You know this sounds stupid but it is a fact. This was why the I4WDTA was started. To make sure that the people who are certified know what and how to train people. So would you like to take your chances with a clown who says that they know what they are doing or with person who has shown that they know what they are doing? I know that many people are calling them selves experts trainers. Who said they were experts (themselves). If they have not been proven by their peers who can say? Others who have years of experience doing the same thing can and will spot a person teaching improper techniques more then a person who is coming to them with little or no experience.

My thoughts are if a person is as good as they think they are why not prove it by getting certified. If they can not pass the test maybe that are not as good as they think they are. I believe the last Testing for Certification (TFC) last month was a week long.
Edit; The Testing for Certification (TFC) started Oct. 25 to Oct. 31

For information on becoming a trainer check out

There is a lot of good information on the web site.
Last edited:
IMO what size tires you have will influence what size of air compressor to use. For up to 31 inch tires the typical smaller 12 volt compressor works (if a bit slow.) For 35 inch or larger tires I prefer an engine mounted, belt driven compressor (York) or a CO2 bottle for fast refills.

Yes, to getting a sturdy recovery point and rear. A kinetic recovery (yank) strap and rated "D" shackles too.

Max Trax are expensive at $300 a pair but will work in sand, snow, mud, etc. and have a life time warranty.

Oh, and be sure to get a real shovel, like a "T" handle one from the local hardware store.

Good luck!