Newb here — I need some basic recovery gear and a compressor. Where do I start?

bluejeep

just a guy
Don't discount getting a 110V air compressor and in cab voltage inverter (DC to AC). The compressors (mine is from Harbor Freight - been working great for over 10 years) spin at much slower speed, which to me means they will last longer. And the inverter opens up more options for powering things

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Don't discount getting a 110V air compressor and in cab voltage inverter (DC to AC). The compressors (mine is from Harbor Freight - been working great for over 10 years) spin at much slower speed, which to me means they will last longer. And the inverter opens up more options for powering things
That's an option but consider scale and efficiency.

A small pancake compressor of perhaps 1/3 HP is going to draw around 4 amps on 120V (should be about 500 watts), which means roughly 40 amps on 12V before the inverter inefficiency to get 1 CFM at 40 psi. A Viair 275C will do 1 CFM at 40 psi at a rated max of 18 amps.

The Viair in this case will be $165, give or take. The little HF pancake is about $55 right now and a reasonably decent, suitable inverter perhaps $50. You do save some money although the space difference is significant.

Both approaches have pros and cons is all.

amongmany

Thanks for the input folks. I purchased the Ironman compressor on sale, so I'm set there. Will be stocking up on further recovery gear over the next couple of weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles