New website and a trip report

Bobu

Thanks! I'm still a beginner in the video-world. But my photography background helps. By the way, I just bought my very first drone directly before the trip. But with all the built-in stabilization features it's quite easy to fly and get some good footage. It's just not that easy to let it survive :)

Lovetheworld

Yes I crashed our drone already twice. The new ones are safer with more sensors.
The following features and circling features make life easy, and stabilization works perfect.
Background in photography of course helps.
Did you do all the bear shots from those cabins?

Anyway, I think a vlogging style can be useful (like Bjorn Nyland) how it is to make these kind of trips with an EV.
Obviously that is a different thing and would involve much less of this excellent camera work, but it could lead to more followers.
Of course you are already describing the details on your blog.

Bobu

Yes, the bear shots were all from one afternoon and one night out of a very small cabin (about 2mx3m).

I'm really thinking about doing some vlogging style in the future. It would clearly attract more people. I'm just not sure if it will fit my personality. I definitely enjoy watching vlogging series like GrizzlyNbear, Eva zu Beck, We will roam, The Way Overland etc.
I just feel more comfortable behind a camera than in front of a camera. But maybe I will try it in the future.

Lovetheworld

I saw this video of the E-tron offroad. That is the first one with all the gadgets.

It is more capable than I thought. I also noticed that the offroad mode gets it to 25cm of ground clearance. That is as much as a standard Landcruiser or something similar.
Sure, it is an expensive car and you want to look out not to mess up the bumpers.
I think it will do much better than EQC or I-pace, which may have some fancy modes as well but not that ground clearance and all the tools.
Unless of course Mercedes takes the EQC 4x42 concept in production :p

The order of how good offroad they are seems to be E-tron > I-pace -> EQC

Perhaps the E-tron is a good option when they are coming out of the lease in a few years and are worth a bit less.
I think this is good enough for most holiday type off-roading in Europe.

Last edited:

Bobu

Yes, for an SUV the offroad capability is not bad. It depends a lot on the terrain. The traction control is very good (much faster reaction time compared to standard electro-hydraulic systems). The behavior in sand is quite good. There were a lot of test drives and demo events in Namibia with the e-tron. Ground clearance in high-level is good. You just have to be really careful on rocky terrain (or best avoid it). Hitting a rock will definitely damage the car. I wouldn't hesitate to drive in the Moroccan Sahara with an e-tron but would not choose the e-tron for the mountain tracks in Corsica, just too many sharp rocks there.
A big question I currently have: does it makes sense to get AT or MT tires for the e-tron. Traction will of course in rough terrain be better and they will be more robust. But how much range will they cost?

Lovetheworld

Well there are probablly limited options for those wheels. And I think it will definitely cost range.
My idea with tyres is always not to bother with Mud tyres unless you like being in a mudpit and do that very often.
Getting ATs is I think only worth it if they are really strong (like BF Goodrich or other) so they are better protected for harsh rocky roads.
Other than that, most tyres will get you there.
However, airing down the tyre is less effective with these big rims. I don't know how much room there is to put bigger tyres on smaller rims.

I think you have a point when it comes to damaging the car on trails that have rocky spikes sticking out all the time. I have seen them, also plenty in Europe.
However, even a lot of mountain trails are not like that. If they are not sticking out constantly, but there is just a harder service, I would still take this car over it.
Our current 4x4 is much more forgiving. I smacked a rock against the front axle a couple of times, but there is just a big metal beam, which doesn't care.
With a car like the E-tron you have to be much more careful. But those camera's are very helpful.

In terms of official wading depth numbers the E-tron is not the best, I think it is the I-pace.
But unofficially, seeing videos of Tesla's almost submerged and still driving, probably a lot more is possible.
I thought there are standards/regulations to make drivetrain components secure up to 1 meter of water, because of safety.
Still, actually owning and driving this care, you would probably not do river crossings except for a few low water crossings up to 30cm.

Bobu

The tire choices in 255/55 R19 are actually not bad (the same size is also used for example the Range Rover which helps). These are currently the best options:
- Goodyear Wrangler Duratec
- Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure
- Cooper Discoverer AT3 Sport 2
- Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus
- General Grabber AT3
The most robust is likely the Wrangler Duratec but probably also the one with the most range reduction. The Cooper has the best efficiency rating (C compared to E for the others), but I'm not sure if you can really trust these letters.

Lovetheworld

Well the labels gives you a base to compare them on, however, they may all provide enough range reduction that it doesn't rally matter.
I still think the driving style is more important than the tire, but it will probably hurt a bit of range.
I have the same dillema for our current electric car (Ampera-e / Bolt), it would drive so much better with sporty tires that are capable of handling the power. But I am unsure how much effect it will have on range. It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, but it will cost you a few kilometers at least.

19 inch wheels seems that you will still have some effect of airing down the tyres, unlike 22 inch on the I-pace.

Lovetheworld

One more thing, please also take into account tire noise. It might not be a big deal because the Audi probably has nice sound proofing, but there is no engine sound to cover it up.

If you are already afraid to go up rocky paths and not doing that, and also have a dislike for mudpits, I would just stick with regular tyres.

Bobu

Tire noise is not a big problem for me. I've driven MT tires on many different cars in the past (RRC, Touareg, Patrol, ...), even on daily drivers and it was always ok for me.
My main reason to consider AT tires for the e-tron is not better traction in mud or on rocks but mainly more robustness and the ability to use lower tire pressure in soft sand without easily damaging the tire.

Gorgeous video, thanks so much for posting it! 4 of my great-grandparents immigrated from Sweden, and the country just calls to me. I think Lofoten is about the most beautiful place in the world, and this is some of the best photography I've seen of it. Thanks again!!

-edit: reading your blog, and it sounds like the word is out on Lofoten. Luckily there are still remote places left in the north... ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles