New version of Gaia GPS released

1Louder

Explorer
Installed card is:

Samsung EVO Select. Specs are
  • Up to 100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3
I have deleted and reinstalled Gaia along with all my maps. Quite the chore to start over. I am now going to try downloading one at at time. I started with NPS visitor map of Death Valley. It's downloading markedly faster than prior to the reinstall. I will do the gaia topo next to see how that one does. There is either a problem when you send multiple downloads at once (regardless of the fact that the app only downloads one map at a time) or once you have downloaded numerous maps and gaia has been installed for some period of time it simply doesn't work as it should. I'll update this thread if I get any new information.

I know the goal has always been get a tablet with low storage and make it a tablet with lots of storage via an SD Card. It seems sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't speak to any specifics with Gaia. It's why I run a tablet with large internal storage. Yes, it happens to be an iPad. Your research sounds useful for the Android folks.

This article sheds a little light on the fastest cards available. https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-microsd-cards/

Superduty

Adventurer
I can't say for sure, but I think Gaia works better on ios. I need to spend a little more time reading in the Gaia community, but it seems the android folks have different problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1Louder

Explorer
I can't say for sure, but I think Gaia works better on ios. I need to spend a little more time reading in the Gaia community, but it seems the android folks have different problems.

It does but I think a lot of this has to do with how diverse the tablet market is for Android. There are a lot of bad slow Android tablets out there. Lots of tweaked versions of the operating system and I think all of that reeks havoc for software developers in general.

With the big price drop of the new iPad IMHO it is silly not to get one.

I have been reading a lot of tech articles which say there really isn't a good Android tablet in the market right now. All of the authors state they wish there would be and it is making it easy for Apple to dominate but Android on a tablet is not a good experience and no vendors are trying to make it so. Their words, not mine, although I agree. I have tried Android multiple times and have bailed on it every single time. Others love it and that's fine. iPad with 128GB of storage works great. Mine current iPad Air is 3.5 years old and it still runs apps including Gaia great. Google seems really focused on Chromebook and not developing another tablet. Samsung seems pretty consistent with producing new models but haven't heard of any "game changer" devices.

Last edited:
I just read through this and never saw a definitive answer. My current tablet is a Tab 10.1 with 4.1.2 Android. I saw a few post that said it was supposed to run good on this older system, and then the CEO said they were thinking of making Android 4.4 the minimum requirements. For those with 4.1.2, is it working good?

1Louder

Explorer
I just read through this and never saw a definitive answer. My current tablet is a Tab 10.1 with 4.1.2 Android. I saw a few post that said it was supposed to run good on this older system, and then the CEO said they were thinking of making Android 4.4 the minimum requirements. For those with 4.1.2, is it working good?

No idea but expecting most current software to run on a operating system that is 6 years old is asking a lot. Developers can only go so far with backwards compatibility. Hopefully someone can give you an answer. Have you tried to download the app and use the trial?

No idea but expecting most current software to run on a operating system that is 6 years old is asking a lot. Developers can only go so far with backwards compatibility. Hopefully someone can give you an answer. Have you tried to download the app and use the trial?

I'm not expecting anything, I'm asking a question that was brought up a few months ago and never completely answered. I'm waiting until I have a free day to test the app out, and will download it as that time gets closer, but figured I'd ask since I have a few weeks.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Installed card is:

I have deleted and reinstalled Gaia along with all my maps. Quite the chore to start over. I am now going to try downloading one at at time. I started with NPS visitor map of Death Valley. It's downloading markedly faster than prior to the reinstall. I will do the gaia topo next to see how that one does. There is either a problem when you send multiple downloads at once (regardless of the fact that the app only downloads one map at a time) or once you have downloaded numerous maps and gaia has been installed for some period of time it simply doesn't work as it should. I'll update this thread if I get any new information.
I have the same problem and I don't think the card speed is an issue. Nothing else loads to the card slowly, just Gaia maps. That means the problem is with how Gaia uses a card in an Android phone.

I never had a tablet before buying it specifically to use for offline maps, so if I had known about this issue, I may have considered an Apple tablet. I'm heading off on my 4 week trip tomorrow, and 3 critical maps likely won't have completed their download. I'll have to try using WiFi at the couple of motels I'll be staying at (camping most nights), and hopefully the downloads will finish before I need them. I suppose I could also try tethering the tablet to my phone while driving to continue the downloads.

Superduty

Adventurer
Installed card is:

I have the same problem and I don't think the card speed is an issue. Nothing else loads to the card slowly, just Gaia maps. That means the problem is with how Gaia uses a card in an Android phone.

I never had a tablet before buying it specifically to use for offline maps, so if I had known about this issue, I may have considered an Apple tablet. I'm heading off on my 4 week trip tomorrow, and 3 critical maps likely won't have completed their download. I'll have to try using WiFi at the couple of motels I'll be staying at (camping most nights), and hopefully the downloads will finish before I need them. I suppose I could also try tethering the tablet to my phone while driving to continue the downloads.
Where are you going for 4 weeks?

Are you trying to dl maps along a route or areas you selected?

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Where are you going for 4 weeks?

Are you trying to dl maps along a route or areas you selected?
Nothing super exotic: Mexico, Arizona and Utah. A month could easily be spent in any one of those areas, but my trip will allow me to have some quality time along whatever corridor I end up taking.

I've used both "download along route" and map areas I've selected. The "DL along route" just autoselects a circumscribed rectangular area that includes the route, so it doesn't really save DL time unless you make a bunch of short routes so that each route has a relatively small circumscribed rectangle. Of course, for a 4 week trip, I really have no idea where I'll be on week 2, let alone week 4, so I do need large areas. Just downloading the interesting (to me) parts of AZ (which ends up being at least half the state!) with MVUM, Gaia Topo, and USGS all at zoom 14 would probably take a couple weeks.

This wouldn't be an urgent issue if I didn't have to delete and reload Gaia several weeks ago to fix my sync issues (see further back in this thread.) I had loaded maps over the last 2 years of CA, AZ, NV, CO, UT as I've done different trips. Knowing the long download times means that I never delete map areas, so I would've only needed to add the areas in Mexico for this trip. Not sure if the large amount of stored maps contributed to my Sync issues, but Gaia didn't think it should. Starting over on the downloads means that I won't have any CA or NV maps, even though I will be traversing those areas, and may get the itch to do some exploring. I have paper maps, but the only way to carry detailed maps of large areas is digitally.

I suppose a new tablet with lots of internal storage is in my future, but that will have to be after this trip.

Superduty

Adventurer
I recently had to delete and reinstall Gaia on my tablet.

After reinstalling I made a point to only download one map at a time. This seems to have helped dramatically in download times.

If you add any of the Google maps as a map source, those seem to have the fastest download times.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Nothing for Win10
This is an app not a program.
GAIA is for use on tablets and smartphones. All o the new mapping programs that allow real time usage are app based and won't work on the typical computer. At least all of the ones I saw when searching for a replacement for Nat Geo TOPO are.

GAIA, as you may have noticed on this thread is primarily a IOS app and secondarily been slapped together for us using android.

Darrell

ohiobenz

I have had Gaia on my droid phone for several years. Its just impossible for me to see well when driving... bifocals and finding the right distance for both driver and navigator.
TwoNav Land is Droid/iOS and Win 10 compatible. They have been very responsive to my questions so far. You can try the Land Premium for free for 30 days with all the features. Then purchase is $85?
As soon as my GlobalSat antenna arrives I'll start the free trial and give some feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles