New version of Gaia GPS released

snare

Adventurer
Very low odds of that, somewhere in hell-freezing-over territory. There are already 3 sets of code (iOS, Android, and gaiagps.com), and that keeps us pretty busy!

trailbehind,

As a person who travels (and lives and teaches) extensively from my truck and now uses Gaia on Android devices, as well as being a licensed ham operator, I would like to request inclusion of APRS mapping into Gaia.
Backcountry Navigator just began including it by interfacing with APRSdroid.

This would be an incredible addition to an already incredible app !

Ballbearing

Observer
trailbehind,

As a person who travels (and lives and teaches) extensively from my truck and now uses Gaia on Android devices, as well as being a licensed ham operator, I would like to request inclusion of APRS mapping into Gaia.
Backcountry Navigator just began including it by interfacing with APRSdroid.

This would be an incredible addition to an already incredible app !
I would like to see that functionality as well. I bought backcountry navigator just to check it out.

Also, I'm having the same problems on my android as everyone else. (Galaxy s7 and tab a 8.0) I sent feedback including system logs when this happened.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Superduty

Adventurer
So I've been using Gaia for a few months on my iPhone and had loved it the entire time. Recently switched to a new Android phone and installed Gaia again. Set it to download/synchronize some of my previously-created routes/maps, forgot about it, and left home. An hour or two later my cell provider sends me an SMS saying I've used 100% of my plan's data. Sure enough, Gaia continued downloading maps after it lost WiFi signal and used up my entire plan's (2GB) data... on the very first day of my billing cycle.

Every other GPS app I've used before would always either stop downloading when the phone switched from WiFi to cellular, or at least provide an option to control this in the settings. I went through all settings in Gaia and found nothing of the sort. This is an absolutely idiotic oversight from Gaia's team. Basic, basic, BASIC functionality that should have been among the first lines of code written. I'm sure I'll get over it, but right now I'm not a happy camper.

I guess I've gotten too comfortable with applications being developed with good decisions in mind from day one. Will now be endlessly paranoid about what Gaia is or is not doing.

It's in settings.

23e116f61bd0d226f83f4dc1ac5529d6.jpg

The Raven

It would have. Though I’ve found that Gaia is basically a download from wifi use data as a last resort sort of system. It’s downloads are waaaay too big and sometimes the piss poor internet hotspots I find make using the system a challenge. I love the software, but wish they had a couple simple low bandwidth/offline maps like maps.me or Avenza’s benchmark and backroad atlas map download options.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
If you are having any trouble with syncing your account, please contact support@gaiagps.com, and we'll get it sorted out. Please do Settings->Send Logs, and comment in the email, that generates. (This is Andrew Johnson, the CEO).
Just saw this, thanks for the reply. Just so you know, the sync issue continued and is still unresolved, but then when I went to 7.02, it now crashes at launch every single time. Both issues have been reported using the feedback capability of the app at least 10 times over the last several weeks.

1Louder

Explorer
It would have. Though I've found that Gaia is basically a download from wifi use data as a last resort sort of system. It's downloads are waaaay too big and sometimes the piss poor internet hotspots I find make using the system a challenge. I love the software, but wish they had a couple simple low bandwidth/offline maps like maps.me or Avenza's benchmark and backroad atlas map download options.

Gaia Topo would be your best option for this.

1Louder

Explorer
Just saw this, thanks for the reply. Just so you know, the sync issue continued and is still unresolved, but then when I went to 7.02, it now crashes at launch every single time. Both issues have been reported using the feedback capability of the app at least 10 times over the last several weeks.

Sorry you are having issues. Did you submit a ticket to support and has it been addressed? Typically when a user has issues like this Gaia will ask for your log files to help with additional troubleshooting.

dstock

Explorer
I tried both versions (current and beta) on the 4.1.2 tablet and both crashed upon launch. I did sign up for a premium subscription as I do have a Pixel XL running android 8.1 and Gaia does not crash on it. However the bigger screen of the tablet is preferred. I do like the integration of the Nat Geo maps which is why opted to go premium.

I also have to say the quick response from Andrew above is extremely appreciated from an app maker these days and that's why they get my $$

I'd like to update that with the latest version installed on my old tablet, Gaia is no longer crashing when I launch it. Thanks for the help. I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, looking foward to putting the app through it's paces.

ultraclyde

Observer
I just downloaded the free version for Android. It looks pretty solid, I'm looking forward to trying it out in the truck.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Sorry you are having issues. Did you submit a ticket to support and has it been addressed? Typically when a user has issues like this Gaia will ask for your log files to help with additional troubleshooting.
Yes, I'm still working with Gaia on this. The crashing stopped with 7.0.5, but the sync is still not working.

Last edited:

ultraclyde

Observer
I've noticed that when I start recording a track the current track stops displaying on the map after 15-30 seconds. Like, the blue line I'm creating stops appearing. The software is still recording the track and if you move out of map view and back in, it will show up. But it just stops live drawing it on the screen. It's not critical, but it's annoying while exploring an area with lots of crossing trails.

I posted about it on their Help community where another guy was having the same issue, but we've gotten no response. Anyone else have this issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles