New version of Gaia GPS released

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I will admit that there is a possessive part of me that likes "having" things and subscription based models do not fulfill that need. :p

Has anyone noticed any differences or improvements in the app besides the User Interface? I used it for sailing this past week and did not notice that big of a change.

robgendreau

Explorer
The new version does seem faster on my iPhone 7. But kinda hard to tell since it's downloading maps, and that affects things.

I can appreciate the beefs about a subscription. But more and more iOS apps are going there. I remember a really interesting blog post about Photosmith and how the vast majority of apps only make money in the first weeks or months after release; hard to keep updating, providing support, etc without a new version frequently or subscription or tons of in-app purchases. For all I know Gaia has to pay continuing license fees for the maps it provides.

With Gaia, I get that you are subscribing at the pro $30 level for the Nat Geo maps, which are great. I would have preferred a la carte however. But at least this is better than PDF Maps, where you subscribe and get NO maps; you even have to subscribe to load your own free maps.

I don't mind subs per se, but please give me value for that subscription. Haven't checked into Motion X, but I haven't used it much since switching to Gaia. Maybe it's still a decent alterative.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have never had any issues with support. A friend of mine even had a call with support once it reached the level necessary for a call. But everyone has different experiences.

I don't understand this comment? Are you saying like what the iPhone offers but prefer Android? They will be developing a new Android version next. They just had to finish the iOS version first

The company has grown because it is an excellent piece of software. The team therefore has grown as well. Good luck with Hema. One update to the app in a year. They are not focused on North America. Maybe someday they will be. If Hema, BCN, Orux, or any other app works for you then great. BCN is charging for additional features like the MVUM maps now. $10 a year isn't going to break my wallet for good quality software which I use all the time. $29.99 a year for the pro version won't either. But everyone has to draw their line somewhere.

I currently have and test both ios and andriod subscriptions side by side and they do not share the same features. Both my version are ran on tablets never a phone FWIW.

Since my post I have been in contact with Gaia and have been very happy with the way they went out of there way to address my personal needs and issues.

Two thumbs up for Gaia and I will be testing the new versions soon.

1Louder

Explorer
I currently have and test both ios and andriod subscriptions side by side and they do not share the same features. Both my version are ran on tablets never a phone FWIW.

Since my post I have been in contact with Gaia and have been very happy with the way they went out of there way to address my personal needs and issues.

Two thumbs up for Gaia and I will be testing the new versions soon.

Great to hear!

whitenoise

Adventurer
Can someone who has used both HEMA and the new Gaia comment on the major capability differences between the two? I find that interface is always something you get used to unless its so bad as to be unusable. I bought Gaia back in December because HEMA did not support the region I was traveling in (Asia). I ended up not using Gaia much due to excellent cell service, I actually prefer Google Maps before opening any other nav app, mainly due to its ability to plan maps beforehand (My Maps in desktop browser).

1Louder

Explorer
Can someone who has used both HEMA and the new Gaia comment on the major capability differences between the two? I find that interface is always something you get used to unless its so bad as to be unusable. I bought Gaia back in December because HEMA did not support the region I was traveling in (Asia). I ended up not using Gaia much due to excellent cell service, I actually prefer Google Maps before opening any other nav app, mainly due to its ability to plan maps beforehand (My Maps in desktop browser).

Not sure what you mean by capability differences. Here are the available map layers in Gaia. The list is very extensive. Far greater than Hema.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003524587-What-maps-are-included-in-Gaia-GPS-

whitenoise

Adventurer
Thank you for that link. What I mean is how does the feature set compare between the two from an actual user's standpoint? Each one claims to be better than the other, so it is hard for a newb such as myself to distinguish.

1Louder

Explorer
Thank you for that link. What I mean is how does the feature set compare between the two from an actual user's standpoint? Each one claims to be better than the other, so it is hard for a newb such as myself to distinguish.

All I can say is Gaia has a large development team that constantly updates the app and features. Hema has been updated once in over a year. If you have a pro subscription with Gaia you can layer maps. So you can pick the percentage you want to view of each map layer. You might overlay a topo map on top of a satellite image for example. Hema claims they have the same thing and it is not true. Hema shows a given layer based on zoom level. That doesn't make any sense to me but that is their explanation. For now Hema is a pay once app. Gaia switched to the subscription model. I have both apps hands down Gaia is better. Hema has pretty road maps but I don't use either app for on-road navigation.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
The developers at Hema disabled the ability to adjust opacity in the app since it was VERY unstable on Android and they didn't want to have two feature sets if possible. It's annoying that they haven't updated the NA app more, but that doesn't mean they're not working on it =)
The Hema Explorer Cloud (http://hema.li/cloud) still needs a little work as far as user interface, but the number of amazing overland tracks that anyone can use (for free) is growing every day =)

All I can say is Gaia has a large development team that constantly updates the app and features. Hema has been updated once in over a year. If you have a pro subscription with Gaia you can layer maps. So you can pick the percentage you want to view of each map layer. You might overlay a topo map on top of a satellite image for example. Hema claims they have the same thing and it is not true. Hema shows a given layer based on zoom level. That doesn't make any sense to me but that is their explanation. For now Hema is a pay once app. Gaia switched to the subscription model. I have both apps hands down Gaia is better. Hema has pretty road maps but I don't use either app for on-road navigation.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
This may be the last straw for me. I was not happy when they switched to ONLY on-line support. Now with only on-line support the response time is slow and when Im traveling and experience issues its much more difficult to take care of. We just experienced problem transferring routes and tracks from my paid for Android version to my paid for os version and Gaia help was very weak and most of there suggestions did not work.

I like the speed of os but wish it had the same features as the slower android. I will check and see if these changes are in the new (pay more) version

It looks and feels like Gaia has gone from this warm and fuzzy small helpful company to a money driven business. I will be checking into HEMA again.

Another data point concerning Gaia tech support:

I had an issue that I needed a bit of assistance with, so dispatched a question via the support button in the app. I immediately received an auto reply acknowledging the request and allowing me to provide additional info if desired. I received an email from a support person later that morning with information that answered my question. It was all pretty efficient and helpful.

1Louder

Explorer
Here's a big update to GAIA and another reason for people to choose it over most of its competitors. For pro subscribers the MVUM layer is now available. There is an updated version for iOS but I believe this will work in the Android version as well. I'm waiting for confirmation from Gaia. Edit your map layers and look under the Pro Layers section.

The roads are interactive meaning you can tap on them for more information. From the few I tested the information seems to be the same. The pop-up dialogue box lists the approved vehicles for the road.

I'm iPad only for the moment and can't properly embed screenshots.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Reconsider a light or longer trial version.

1Louder,

Do you work for, or are you supported by GAIA?

The reason I ask is, if you do/are, I'd like to suggest this as input:

1). Do a trial/light version with at least a 30 day use period. It took longer than that from the time I downloaded BCN until I was able to get out and use it.
After using it a few times I bought the Pro version, because it is very easy to use, and exceptionally useful.
I did not go with GAIA, because I didn't want to throw money at a product that may not have been useful. It was the only mapping software I was considering that couldn't be tested. So there was no interest in going forward with them.

2). When revamping a UI, it can be really frustrating to previous version users. Despite what the design team may think, there are a lot more important things for travelers to focus time on than re-learning a UI. Time is a precious commodity. Short, pointed easy to follow instructional videos would be helpful in that regard.

Any way, I hope this input is of value. I'm comfortable with BCN so won't be changing.

On a side note; If BCN came out with a new version, and I could make the time to test it out with positive results, I'd gladly hand over the coin for the new version. That business model makes sense.

malibubts

Adventurer
Here's a big update to GAIA and another reason for people to choose it over most of its competitors. For pro subscribers the MVUM layer is now available. There is an updated version for iOS but I believe this will work in the Android version as well. I'm waiting for confirmation from Gaia. Edit your map layers and look under the Pro Layers section.

The roads are interactive meaning you can tap on them for more information. From the few I tested the information seems to be the same. The pop-up dialogue box lists the approved vehicles for the road.

I'm iPad only for the moment and can't properly embed screenshots.

I'm on Android and can see that listed under the Pro Layers. If you're on Android now though it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to upgrade to the 'Pro' subscription as its $39.99 for the year and the 'Premium' subscription on the new app is $29.99 a year. Not to mention you already bought the app at $20 and will likely get some sort of transition period like the iOS devices once it's rolled out to Android. So pretty useless at this time which is a bummer, but it might be cool once the new Android app is released.

1Louder

Explorer
1Louder,

Do you work for, or are you supported by GAIA?

The reason I ask is, if you do/are, I'd like to suggest this as input:

1). Do a trial/light version with at least a 30 day use period. It took longer than that from the time I downloaded BCN until I was able to get out and use it.
After using it a few times I bought the Pro version, because it is very easy to use, and exceptionally useful.
I did not go with GAIA, because I didn't want to throw money at a product that may not have been useful. It was the only mapping software I was considering that couldn't be tested. So there was no interest in going forward with them.

2). When revamping a UI, it can be really frustrating to previous version users. Despite what the design team may think, there are a lot more important things for travelers to focus time on than re-learning a UI. Time is a precious commodity. Short, pointed easy to follow instructional videos would be helpful in that regard.

Any way, I hope this input is of value. I'm comfortable with BCN so won't be changing.

On a side note; If BCN came out with a new version, and I could make the time to test it out with positive results, I'd gladly hand over the coin for the new version. That business model makes sense.

I don't work for Gaia. I would like to though! I know your first suggestion of a longer trial period has been suggested. I would post something in their support forum on Reddit or email them. Many folks, including me, suggested incorporating the MVUM layer and now we have it. Direct communication works! As others have mentioned the support team is great. With new UIs it is always a transition. I can say many suggestions went back and forth during testing and many were adopted. You can never make it perfect for everyone out of the box and it will always have some type of learning curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles