New version of Gaia GPS released

1Louder

Explorer
This is a completely new application written from the ground up. iOS only for now. Android development will start soon.

One of the best new features is the National Geographic map layer. This map layer is available to pro subscribers on either platform.

App speed has been improved and new vector based maps are now available as well. Vector based map layers load a lot faster and are easier to read. Pricing for the app has changed. It will now be free to download with a 7 day trial. After the trial period you have 2 options: $9.99/yr for the base version and $29.99/yr for the pro version. This is intro pricing but will not change if you sign up during the intro pricing period. After 2 years you would be even with the cost of the old app for the base version. For pro users you can now save $10/yr.

Here are a couple of quick takes on the new app:

https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/new-version-gaia-gps-released/

http://www.adventurealan.com/huge-improvements-next-gen-gaia-gps-hiking-app/

34667435862_c829697063_b.jpg

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
This is a completely new application written from the ground up. One of the best new features is the National Geographic map layer. App speed has been improved and new vector based maps are now available as well. Pricing for the app has changed. It will now be free to download with a 7 day trial. After the trial period you have 2 options: $9.99/yr for the base version and $29.99/yr for the pro version. This is intro pricing but will not change if you sign up during the intro pricing period. After 2 years you would be even with the cost of the old app for the base version. For pro users you can now save $10/yr.

Here are a couple of quick takes on the new app:

https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/new-version-gaia-gps-released/

http://www.adventurealan.com/huge-improvements-next-gen-gaia-gps-hiking-app/

34667435862_c829697063_b.jpg

How do existing customers upgrade to the new version?

malibubts

Adventurer

Looks like only iOS at the moment. But I saw the below on their website.

"Already have the old Gaia GPS? You get an extended free trial with the new app – up to two years based on purchase date. The more recently you bought Gaia GPS, the longer the free usage period, on a sliding scale. You can also continue to use the old app."

We'll see how generous they are on the extended trial. I bought Gaia maybe 6 months ago, I'd be pretty bummed if it's already out of date.

malibubts

Adventurer

Looks like only iOS at the moment. But I saw the below on their website.

"Already have the old Gaia GPS? You get an extended free trial with the new app – up to two years based on purchase date. The more recently you bought Gaia GPS, the longer the free usage period, on a sliding scale. You can also continue to use the old app."

We'll see how generous they are on the extended trial. I bought Gaia maybe 6 months ago, I guess we'll see what I get.

It looks like they are moving to the now more and more common subscription based model.

Maps are being switched from Raster to Vector though, that should bring a huge performance and decrease in storage space.

sickchilly

Observer
Well that's too bad. They won't be getting any more of my money. I paid for the app I use, no more and no less. I'm not into the subscription model. There are some great alternatives.

1Louder

Explorer
Well that's too bad. They won't be getting any more of my money. I paid for the app I use, no more and no less. I'm not into the subscription model. There are some great alternatives.

They know they can't please everyone. Some balked at the $20.00 price tag and wanted a free trial. This opens the app up to more people and allows them to try before they buy into the subscription service. You can still use the old app but it won't receive updates. Having a team of developers working full-time on quality software costs money. As Gaia has grown they saw the need to change the pricing model. Not sure if you are on iOS or Android. I would say there are a lot less quality choices on iOS.

sickchilly

Observer
They know they can't please everyone. Some balked at the $20.00 price tag and wanted a free trial. This opens the app up to more people and allows them to try before they buy into the subscription service. You can still use the old app but it won't receive updates. Having a team of developers working full-time on quality software costs money. As Gaia has grown they saw the need to change the pricing model. Not sure if you are on iOS or Android. I would say there are a lot less quality choices on iOS.

I totally get it, but being in software development myself, I also totally disagree. I would pay a one-time $20 (or whatever) fee to upgrade to a newer version if it was worth it. I will not pay year after year, however. Adobe lost my business for the same racket. Good luck to them though. I'll stick with the existing version until I decide to migrate or it breaks, whichever comes first.

1Louder

Explorer
I totally get it, but being in software development myself, I also totally disagree. I would pay a one-time $20 (or whatever) fee to upgrade to a newer version if it was worth it. I will not pay year after year, however. Adobe lost my business for the same racket. Good luck to them though. I'll stick with the existing version until I decide to migrate or it breaks, whichever comes first.

I understand your point and have had to pick and choose between applications with this business model. I have been a pro subscriber for a long time so this change doesn't really effect me. Just remember that all existing owners of the old version get at least 30 days with the new app to give it a try. I have suggested to Gaia they extend the free trial to greater than 7 days for new users.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
This may be the last straw for me. I was not happy when they switched to ONLY on-line support. Now with only on-line support the response time is slow and when Im traveling and experience issues its much more difficult to take care of. We just experienced problem transferring routes and tracks from my paid for Android version to my paid for os version and Gaia help was very weak and most of there suggestions did not work.

I like the speed of os but wish it had the same features as the slower android. I will check and see if these changes are in the new (pay more) version

It looks and feels like Gaia has gone from this warm and fuzzy small helpful company to a money driven business. I will be checking into HEMA again.

snare

Adventurer
I was just about to look into Gaia further. Now I wont be.

Been traveling all over the continent wit Osmand+ and will do so until something else meets my needs better.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
You cannot please everyone.

One of the biggest complaints of the old app was the UI design.
The new app is much more user friendly and supposedly better built.

Subscription vs fixed cost. I know a lot of people are harping about this, but it really is not a dramatic change.
The biggest issue I see is having your subscription run out mid trip. It's never my only form of navigation, but I do find myself using Gaia more and paper maps less...

It is still the best iOS app I have found and I am happy supporting a small company who also supports environment efforts and SAR/Firefighter volunteers.

1Louder

Explorer
This may be the last straw for me. I was not happy when they switched to ONLY on-line support. Now with only on-line support the response time is slow and when Im traveling and experience issues its much more difficult to take care of. We just experienced problem transferring routes and tracks from my paid for Android version to my paid for os version and Gaia help was very weak and most of there suggestions did not work.

I have never had any issues with support. A friend of mine even had a call with support once it reached the level necessary for a call. But everyone has different experiences.

I like the speed of os but wish it had the same features as the slower android. I will check and see if these changes are in the new (pay more) version

I don't understand this comment? Are you saying like what the iPhone offers but prefer Android? They will be developing a new Android version next. They just had to finish the iOS version first

It looks and feels like Gaia has gone from this warm and fuzzy small helpful company to a money driven business. I will be checking into HEMA again.

The company has grown because it is an excellent piece of software. The team therefore has grown as well. Good luck with Hema. One update to the app in a year. They are not focused on North America. Maybe someday they will be. If Hema, BCN, Orux, or any other app works for you then great. BCN is charging for additional features like the MVUM maps now. $10 a year isn't going to break my wallet for good quality software which I use all the time. $29.99 a year for the pro version won't either. But everyone has to draw their line somewhere.

1Louder

Explorer
You cannot please everyone.

One of the biggest complaints of the old app was the UI design.
The new app is much more user friendly and supposedly better built.

Subscription vs fixed cost. I know a lot of people are harping about this, but it really is not a dramatic change.
The biggest issue I see is having your subscription run out mid trip. It's never my only form of navigation, but I do find myself using Gaia more and paper maps less...

I always had auto-renew so I am not sure if that would be an issue or not. I think they send email reminders. You might jump on Reddit and post a question about that. The company is good with issuing refunds to people who may not be truly happy with the app. A great small business and IMHO they are worthy of the support.

It is still the best iOS app I have found and I am happy supporting a small company who also supports environment efforts and SAR/Firefighter volunteers.

Great point about them supporting SAR/Firefighters with free subscriptions. $2.50 a month for the pro version is not a big deal to me. All I have to do is order water next time I eat out vs an ice tea or beer and that money is available for Gaia.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks for posting about the new version. I haven't decided if I'll spring for it or not (I probably will since I'm kind of addicted to nav apps).

IMHO: I think a subscription for PRO features like this is OK, developers are after all, capitalists =) As I've mentioned other places, I prefer a one-time purchase for the base app, then add-on subscriptions if the features are warranted. $10/year is not a bad price at all, but it depends on how much you use it. Since I have ~ 15 nav apps on my devices, I never use most of them. They're there for reference & troubleshooting mostly. I only use 1 nav app weekly, and it was a one time purchase.

That's what is so awesome about the current nav app ecosystem: There is a great option regardless of your preferences =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles