New vehicle time

redneck44

Adventurer
Time for a new vehicle.

Criteria to take in to consideration-
I'm in the UK, so something reasonably compact, with good mpg.
Diesel, as gas prices are stupid here
4WD to get to those interesting places.
Easy to drive, better half doesn't like driving the 110.
Comfortable, see above.
Good european spares availability.
Right hand drive, as most of the time will be travelling in the UK.
Fairly modern powertrain, to keep up with traffic.
Not a Defender (I already have one).
Fully fitted out turnkey rig so we can just jump in and go.

With all that mind the choice was obvious- a Japanese 4WD

So I bought this

DSC_0129_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0130 1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_0132_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A 330cuin V8 '66 Ford F600 fire truck with a bl**dy awful vinyl wrap ( don't worry it will off as soon as it has been deliverd).

Makes perfect sense to me :sombrero:
Who didn't want their own fire truck when they were a kid :)

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, at least the OBW (One Board Water) is already sorted out. :D

What does the back end look like? I hope you're replacing the front seats.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
That is a cool piece of history, how the h&!! did it get to the UK?? I hope there are a LOT MORE pics to come??

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
By the way, How cool is the lettering under the hood?? I've seen D O R F, But O F R D just fits this site!!!

redneck44

Adventurer
Haha, yeah the OBW would be great, for wet t shirt contests, however the tank has already been removed.

The seats were suprisingly good for the very brief time I was sat in them, and I really like that they are on top of the water pump, makes a neat feature in the cab.

Not too sure on the history of it yet, I believe it was stationed in Sweden, then taken to Germany, then got taken to its present location for modification to a promotional vehicle, which it was used for a couple of times.

I was told the latest one piece promo bus is supposedly touring the U.S. so you can pick one up from them direct.....

Plenty of pics will follow

redneck44

Adventurer
Starting to look like a fire truck again, using coach paint rather than spraying, and to those who are thinking about wrapping their vehicle, the wrap on this truck completely destroyed the paint work and was starting to cause rust problems at the edges, in just over a year of being applied.
On the plus side I treated myself to Fein multitool to help with the scraping and sanding, amazing tool can't believe I haven't got one before now.

tKktLPNNxkaO9jUICCgTh_NLu0m-EQ9dHWslVDyeY_4=w1043-h691-no

Once the outside is looking presentable I'm going for a 50's diner style inside.
Picked up a pair of super singles for the rear, to replace the widowmakers, just need a set of front wheels/tyres now.

redneck44

Adventurer
Its been a while but work etc have got in the way

But a bit of progress has been made

hwbF29Hb6toadmk7bUf2wpEccnzjDhoJLTcUOY4MlRE=w909-h601-no

DSC_0287.JPG

Super single conversion, which also makes it easier to find sensible wheels and tyres. The adapter plates are hve also been made for the front as well.
No more widow makers for me.

DSC_0172.JPG

redneck44

Adventurer
Thanks, the vehicle is registered as a 66 but it could well be a 65 taking into account the build time etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles