New UNIMOG owner

Hunza

Greetings. I am new to this forum as I have just bought my first UNIMOG L1550 L Doka in preperation for an expedition to the north of Pakistan. Unfortunately my mog did not come with a user manual or instructions so I am learning thru whatever I can find on the net. I would like to connect with some patient Moggers who can answer my questions whenever they can spare some time or point me in the direction of a forum that would be helpful. I will be returning with stories and accounts of my travels and I can promise you there will not be a dull moment.

Best regards

Tennmogger

Explorer
Welcome! Several people on this forum have Unimogs and are willing to help with specific questions. There may not be another U-1550 DOKA owner though! Nice model Unimog.

You really should try to get both the users/operators manual, and the service manual set. These are available from most Unimog dealers here in the states, from Great Britain, and of course Germany. If you will indicate which country you prefer to deal with (if possible at all), we'll get specific contact info for you.

Every Unimog is different. Only the basic machine will be similar to others of same model, but most everything else is optional from MB.

There are several Unimog-specific forums you can learn a lot from. First to try should be Benzworld, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/, and another is the Unimog mailing list at http://www.tx4x4.com/index.php?page=uml.

There's a huge amount of information archived at Benzworld/Unimog. Use the search function.

You live in an interesting part of the world and your adventures will be most interesting.

Bob

Hunza

Welcome! Several people on this forum have Unimogs and are willing to help with specific questions. There may not be another U-1550 DOKA owner though! Nice model Unimog.

You really should try to get both the users/operators manual, and the service manual set. These are available from most Unimog dealers here in the states, from Great Britain, and of course Germany. If you will indicate which country you prefer to deal with (if possible at all), we'll get specific contact info for you.

Every Unimog is different. Only the basic machine will be similar to others of same model, but most everything else is optional from MB.

There are several Unimog-specific forums you can learn a lot from. First to try should be Benzworld, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/, and another is the Unimog mailing list at http://www.tx4x4.com/index.php?page=uml.

There's a huge amount of information archived at Benzworld/Unimog. Use the search function.

You live in an interesting part of the world and your adventures will be most interesting.

Bob
Thank you for your reply. I have been trying to piece together the basic instructions from several sources. First and foremost were the information re. the fluids and lubrication. This Mog had been parked for several years and while I did start and drive it home after just checking the fluid levels and putting two new batteries. (it is a 24V) I did not want to drive any further without first replacing the engine oil and draining the fuel tank. First to be tackled was the diesel tank and I am glad I did it. There was water and sludge in the tank as well as the fuel filters. Next item on the agenda is the engine oil change. I have bought a bulk pack of 25W50 grade lubricant and after this oil change i plan to drain the oil in maybe 500 or less miles. This should help with flushing out the engine and wherever the oil circulates.
I am still not sure how much oil goes into the transmission and what would be the recommended interval. I do not want to drive the Mog till I have all the oils changed and greasing of any parts that may be required. There is one red light that is constantly glowing even when the Mog is not running and the ignition key is out. I wonder what that is for?
I will be checking the links that you have shared (thank you) and I look forward to sharing my experiences when I hit the road. This is an interesting part of the world as you rightly said. There are three mighty mountain ranges - the Karakorams, The Himalayas and the Hindukush that offer ample opportunities for someone who is able and willing.

Attachments

• DSC04896.JPG
    DSC04896.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles