New Truck Camper Vendor: Cave Campers !!! (<750lbs, <$10k)

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Hello Expedition Portal! Cave Campers is a new entrant in the camper market and we'd love to get your feedback. Our first model is a lightweight (750 lbs.), durable, and easy to clean truck camper. We designed it with the outdoor enthusiast in mind and think it could be an interesting fit in the overland market at under $10k. We'd love to get your feedback through the forum or directly.

Check out our website for more info.

- Dylan Peterson, Co-Founder

Cave near Mesa full size.jpg

truck camper with boat.jpg

prototype interior back wall.jpg

Attachments

• Cave near Mesa (640x220).jpg
    Cave near Mesa (640x220).jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 31

gtbensley

Explorer
I think the idea of a minimalist camper thats light weight probably will appeal to many. For me, the largest things I would be interested in are how well the unit is insulated, and a heat source for the winter time. All other items are easy to add in just like normal "camping", meaning cook stove and such. I will have to check out the website and see if I can answer some of my other questions.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
For me, the largest things I would be interested in are how well the unit is insulated, and a heat source for the winter time. All other items are easy to add in just like normal "camping", meaning cook stove and such. I will have to check out the website and see if I can answer some of my other questions.

Thanks again for the feedback. So the Cave camper is made of composite panels: fiberglass, 1.5" of styrofoam, and another layer of fiberglass. Seams are avoided on edges when possible by a process where the panels are actually bent. That means less chance for leaking water or air. The door on the back is a thick, beefy door with a quality latch and hinge. So the insulation is really incredible. In the end, it's like you are inside a big cooler on the back of your truck.

Of course, you have options for heating or cooling. One eye opener for us was with a 40 degree night in Jackson Hole we never needed a heater while hanging out playing cards; just the body heat of two people was enough to keep the space warm. A small, plug-in electric heater is probably the simplest option.

For A/C, we've settled on a very different approach as you can see in the diagram below. There are two 3" ports that you hook up to an A/C / heat pump. One hose pushes cold/hot air in and one pulls air out. The unit we recommend is remote controlled and removes humidity in the process. When you unload the truck camper you pull out the A/C / heat pump unit and set it on a table next to your slide in truck camper. Since it's not mounted to the camper all you hear is the soft sound of air flow; there's no vibration felt inside the camper. Only a 1kW generator is needed to power the unit.

I love this solution but am curious to know what others think. In particular, if you need A/C, should we mount something small inside the camper? This adds vibration and noise but saves some on the hassle of set-up and take down.

HVAC.JPG

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Very nice! Where do you get more info and pricing on the heat pump?

In a similar type pull behind camping trailer, I've seen simple 5000 but room AC units mounted in a small cabinet. Can't beat the price and easy to replace if fails a few years down the road.

::Squish::

Observer
Great Idea,
Things I'd like to see and I know full well these would increase the weight
Provision for some kind of sink, hand pump connected to a 5 gallon bucket for incoming and and a drain for outgoing.

A place for a compressor fridge or an icebox or something to hold food in that doesn't cost an arm and a leg

A reasonable place to sit and eat or play cards on of the joys of being in a camper is that you are out of the elements and you can relax and be more comfortable.

Maybe a 1,000-1,100 pound camper that is just a step up for the bare bones with some of these features that make it more livable.

But the stripped down one is a great idea.

tomhank1511

it's not mounted to the camper all you hear is the soft sound of air flow; there's no vibration felt inside the camper. Only a 1kW generator is needed to power the unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles