New trailer build question about skinning sides.

dado5

I am in the beginning of building a camper trailer. Not much different from others already done. It is 5x8, a little bit bigger than the typical 4x6 because I have 5 kids and we bring a lot of stuff with us. We pull it with our quigley transit, and dont really need it to go rock crawling. I have already started the way overbuilt frame but am starting to think about the box part of it. I have seen multiple builds with warped sides from welding the sheet onto the sides and am thinking about using some type of adhesive and maybe rivets. I imagine there are better rivets than the typical ones I get from lowes. I know everyone loves pics so I will try to post some but havent really taken that many. I will also include a pic of our van pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer which this one will replace.
IMG_4299.jpegIMG_3229.JPG

smritte

My new build is going to be very similar to yours. My sides are going to be aluminum sheet bonded with silkaflex (don't remember the number). There are a few different structural adhesives. The nice thing is most of the adhesives are flexible. Do a google search on it. I have used it on a floor storage compartment, so far works well. My sides will be going on in about a month.

dado5

I would love to use aluminum for some of the box to save weight but am worried about the corrosion problem with putting dissimilar metals together. Does the adhesive provide a barrier between the two to prevent this? I don't know a lot about it but just that bolting steel and aluminum together will cause problems down the road.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes, as does VHB tape, any non-conductive barrier, and **not** using rivets.

VHB, 3M 5200 or Sika 295 are way too strong, if you ever might want to "undo" the join.

3M 4200 or Sika 291 are strong enough, but you don't need to destroy everything getting stuff apart.

Classified as adhesive sealants, stay perfectly flexible forever.

Look at the detailed datasheets, temps, curing times, surface prep is critical etc; also material science tech support guys available for discussions.

Make sure to get the UV resistant version for exposed joins or otherwise cover with butyl or something.

dado5

ok, so if I wanted to make the doors out of aluminum to save weight, what kind of hinges would I use to mount them to the steel chasis? stainless? composite? I keep thinking of making an aluminum box to mount on the steel frame, sort of like turtlebakck does but not sure I like the idea of bolting it to the chassis. It would save some weight but prob not as much as i think.

john61ct

Adventurer
However you like, anyplace different metals would touch put a sealant/caulk or tape in between.

If you don't mind spending more, saving weight is a great reason.

Nothing wrong with bolts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles