New to van life- Questions on Red Cross ERV

Chasking

Good day! New to EP and the camper/van life. I'm a dad and widowed 7 months now. I had the CRAZIEST idea recently and figured I'd make it happen...>> quit the day job in this current economy and take a (maybe month-long) road trip across the USA with 3 kids (ages 10, 8, and 2).
So I'm now jobless and the new owner of a 2000 Ford E450 7.3 diesel former Red Cross ERV with about 100k miles. The previous owner added some wood planks to the walls in the back to warm things up a bit. Also he added a couple of benches/bed (no seatbelts) and painted it a nice charcoal color. I'm fine with leaving it as is. With school break approaching in a couple of weeks, I don't want to do any extensive mods. (<<Also in case this trip is a disaster.) ;) He also gave me a 3-seater bench with 3 built-in seatbelts and head rests from a Sprinter, but 20220514_103321.jpg20220514_102822.jpg20220503_131726.jpgI have to figure out how and where to mount it. I plan on removing the two benches and building bunk bed using the E-trac mounts. Also, I'll probably do a quick camping shower with privacy tent.

I have a few questions:
What are some "easy" cooling options for the back? The back A/C works fine when the engine is running, of course. Then it's fan only when engine isn't running. How can we stay cool when we're sleeping?

Can the small stationary windows on the upper side be replaced with sliding ones for ventilation?

Any other ideas or things to look out for during the trip?

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Are you planning to have 3 kids ride for a month in the back of an ambulance with no way to see out?

What is the longest trip you’ve done with your kids?

I think you might be better off with a plain old van or crew cab truck and a 4 person ground tent. Any way I imagine making a family live in peace in an ambulance ends in … badly.

Otherwise, I think you’re getting into those “major” modifications you talked about, and they might well reduce your resale value.

motovan_mn

Sorry for your loss, and it's awesome you are taking the time to roadtrip with your kids.

For cooling, I think that's going to depend on what kinds of situations you expect to be camping in. Will you be dispersed camping most of the time? Or RV sites with electric hookup? We've gotten by with "passive" cooling, i.e. leaving the windows or doors open with mesh netting, and parking in the shade whenever possible. For the mesh netting we use a cheapo harbor freight mesh tarp that is cut to size and some magnets that are gorilla taped to the mesh.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, people install minisplit or RV AC systems that would require shore power, a generator, or a beefy solar/battery system.

Rebuilder

Builder of Things That Interest Me
Welcome to the site and congrats on the ERV purchase. Regarding the replacement side windows, yes the correct size is available but the ones I found didn't have the correct corner radius so it wasn't an exact match. It would work but you'd want to add some extra sealant. I ran one in the stock opening for about a year without any problem before modifying the opening for a bigger window with built in screen and shade. Regarding the A/C, like motovan_mn said, it really depends on whether you'll be on or off-grid. There are plenty of options for on-grid 120v A/C units but if you want to run off-grid you'll need a lot of batteries or a generator. I installed a 12v A/C unit in mine but I also had to install 800ah of lithium batteries and 800 watts of solar to run it off-grid.

Chasking

Are you planning to have 3 kids ride for a month in the back of an ambulance with no way to see out?

What is the longest trip you’ve done with your kids?

I think you might be better off with a plain old van or crew cab truck and a 4 person ground tent. Any way I imagine making a family live in peace in an ambulance ends in … badly.

Otherwise, I think you’re getting into those “major” modifications you talked about, and they might well reduce your resale value.
Yep! I did say it was a crazy idea. But nah, I'm not worried. The older two (girls) are excited. I'm more concerned about my whiny, moody 2 year old son. :giggle: "No way to see out?" The ERV has a lot of windows, and the bench seat will probably be positioned at the largest side window (where the side door would normally be.)
Now, I don't see us doing any real outdoors tent camping. I have "city" kids and my girls would be too afraid to sleep outside. We won't be doing any off grid, off road trips.

Chasking

Sorry for your loss, and it's awesome you are taking the time to roadtrip with your kids.

For cooling, I think that's going to depend on what kinds of situations you expect to be camping in. Will you be dispersed camping most of the time? Or RV sites with electric hookup? We've gotten by with "passive" cooling, i.e. leaving the windows or doors open with mesh netting, and parking in the shade whenever possible. For the mesh netting we use a cheapo harbor freight mesh tarp that is cut to size and some magnets that are gorilla taped to the mesh.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, people install minisplit or RV AC systems that would require shore power, a generator, or a beefy solar/battery system.
Thanks. We won't do any remote stuff. It's basically hit the road and make a big circle across the USA and stop at some attractions along the way. I don't see us spending a lot of time "living" inside it besides traveling from point to point and sleeping. The kids haven't done much traveling- the longest drive was maybe a 5 hour drive to Atlanta. Last year, we all flew to Delaware a couple of months before my wife passed, and that was the kids' first flight.

Chasking

Welcome to the site and congrats on the ERV purchase. Regarding the replacement side windows, yes the correct size is available but the ones I found didn't have the correct corner radius so it wasn't an exact match. It would work but you'd want to add some extra sealant. I ran one in the stock opening for about a year without any problem before modifying the opening for a bigger window with built in screen and shade. Regarding the A/C, like motovan_mn said, it really depends on whether you'll be on or off-grid. There are plenty of options for on-grid 120v A/C units but if you want to run off-grid you'll need a lot of batteries or a generator. I installed a 12v A/C unit in mine but I also had to install 800ah of lithium batteries and 800 watts of solar to run it off-grid.
Thanks. I enjoyed your ERV build.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Yep! I did say it was a crazy idea. But nah, I'm not worried. The older two (girls) are excited. I'm more concerned about my whiny, moody 2 year old son. :giggle: "No way to see out?" The ERV has a lot of windows, and the bench seat will probably be positioned at the largest side window (where the side door would normally be.)
Now, I don't see us doing any real outdoors tent camping. I have "city" kids and my girls would be too afraid to sleep outside. We won't be doing any off grid, off road trips.

Cool. As long as you know what you’re getting into, have fun. There are lots of threads about traveling with Kids in the “Family” section. I would say the main thing from my point of view is to make it okay to only make short mileages. Don’t pass up interesting stuff because you aren’t likely to come back by.

curtis73

Does it have a cubby hole for a generator? You could snag a small genny and use a portable A/C for cooling. For a while I had a small one that I put between the front seats and made a template of the window opening to duct the air out. Loud as heck, but made my little Express Van a meat locker in no time. Only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted the space more than I needed the cooling.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
So far I’ve found 12” radiator fan in a side window of the ambulance to do a great job cooling the rig to outside temperatures. In through the side and out the cab windows. Point that window towards a shaded bush and the temperature is even better. The 120w solar panel more than powers it and the fridge on sunny days.

iggi

Ian
Probably a little warmer in the midwest US than where you live. :)

So far I’ve found 12” radiator fan in a side window of the ambulance to do a great job cooling the rig to outside temperatures. In through the side and out the cab windows. Point that window towards a shaded bush and the temperature is even better. The 120w solar panel more than powers it and the fridge on sunny days.

Chasking

Does it have a cubby hole for a generator? You could snag a small genny and use a portable A/C for cooling. For a while I had a small one that I put between the front seats and made a template of the window opening to duct the air out. Loud as heck, but made my little Express Van a meat locker in no time. Only reason I got rid of it was that I wanted the space more than I needed the cooling.
I haven't noticed a cubby. But I have been checking out portable generators.

Sounds like a good adventure! There's been lots of discussion on A/C over at the Ambulance Camper FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ambulance.conversion
I think (and hope) it will be fun. This is our first time doing anything like this, and I have no idea what I'm doing. But I've always been the random adventurer type.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Probably a little warmer in the midwest US than where you live. :)

true, but it depends on what they are accustomed to. Years ago, in Phoenix Arizona, a relative suggested I bring my coat when we went to a bbq at their In-laws… cause it was going to get down to 77* F. I brought it, but certainly didn’t need it.

In school they only heated it to 67* and we’d wear jeans and a T-shirt for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles