New to us daily for the wife. Suggestions?

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
The wife and I have been doing some minimalism with our bills. During this process I have been holding on to my beloved 06 Mustang Gt like a kid to a security blanket. I still currently owe on it and with having our 3rd child in January, I could almost hear the footsteps of someone coming to take it away. Lol. Although it isn't very practical to own, neither is my Discovery, but at least the disco can hold us all. Just to be clear, I'm not saying I value my car over my family's needs.

The wife currently drives our 2004 Explorer that surprisingly has been very reliable for years despite having a poor reputation in some circles. Over the weekend I took my son hiking in the Explorer and while we were entering the highway the transmission slipped pretty badly. It continued to give us fits the rest of the trip. I have had suspicions that the trans was getting weak for about a year. This particular model has a terrible reputation for trans failure. Also, it isn't really worth enough to me to replace the trans so, I've decided to abandon ship and trade it in. In order to get my wife a decent vehicle with a respectable payment, the Mustang will have to go with it.

I took her out yesterday and looked at a couple of cars locally, one was a Hummer H3 (Not totally interested in an H3 but, I've never driven one and wanted to try it), and the other was an 07 LR3. She disliked the H3, but she loved the LR3. To be honest I wouldn't mind owning one. The idea of me and the wife both having Rovers is pretty exciting.
The LR3 has 110k miles and they are asking 14k. I'm not so sure about financing a vehicle with that high of miles but, if the maintenance records check out, I would consider it. We are really looking to stay under 20k. I'm going to be patient. I want the replacement for my Mustang to be a good one. I also want my wife and kids to have a good vehicle for commuting.

Sorry about the book I wrote but, I felt the back story was important when asking for suggestions.
So, should I investigate further on the Lr3? Or wait awhile and find a better deal? Do I need to stay away from LR3s?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Search in this forum. We talk about the pros and cons of the LR3 all the time to people who are new to the brand. Pretty much someone asks this question every week and the info is out there.

Overall, very good. Some things to consider/look at but overall a darn good truck.

unseenone

Explorer
If the vehicle checks out, go for it. The mileage is going to be the factor on the price, as is Nav and if it has a locker in it. I would avoid a V6, they sell for less. It looks like the price is in the middle of the range.

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
Search in this forum. We talk about the pros and cons of the LR3 all the time to people who are new to the brand. Pretty much someone asks this question every week and the info is out there.

Overall, very good. Some things to consider/look at but overall a darn good truck.
True, but everyone's situation is different that's why I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the info.
If the vehicle checks out, go for it. The mileage is going to be the factor on the price, as is Nav and if it has a locker in it. I would avoid a V6, they sell for less. It looks like the price is in the middle of the range.
I should've specified the details. It's an SE V8 with the cold weather package. No nav

NYCRover

Observer
The key will be service records. High mileage LR3s generally need fixes to air suspension (compressor), control arms (assembly or bushings), rear tailgate, etc. Also- important that diffs fluid change is in its history. Lastly- water leaks. If any of these issues haven't been addressed then they are probably in your future and could be big ticket items relative to the value of the car. Also, another thing to keep in mind is that this big truck tends to eat through pads and rotors a little bit faster than other trucks.

They are great trucks when taken care of and sometimes it really is luck of the draw. That said, I would be hesitant (particularly since you're financing) on pulling the trigger unless the service records check out. Also- even if records check out and you go this route, make sure you have a cushion for any hiccups along the way. As seen above, the issues are relatively few, but can be costly.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The wife and I have been doing some minimalism with our bills. During this process I have been holding on to my beloved 06 Mustang Gt like a kid to a security blanket. I still currently owe on it and with having our 3rd child in January, I could almost hear the footsteps of someone coming to take it away. Lol. Although it isn't very practical to own, neither is my Discovery, but at least the disco can hold us all. Just to be clear, I'm not saying I value my car over my family's needs.

The wife currently drives our 2004 Explorer that surprisingly has been very reliable for years despite having a poor reputation in some circles. Over the weekend I took my son hiking in the Explorer and while we were entering the highway the transmission slipped pretty badly. It continued to give us fits the rest of the trip. I have had suspicions that the trans was getting weak for about a year. This particular model has a terrible reputation for trans failure. Also, it isn't really worth enough to me to replace the trans so, I've decided to abandon ship and trade it in. In order to get my wife a decent vehicle with a respectable payment, the Mustang will have to go with it.

I took her out yesterday and looked at a couple of cars locally, one was a Hummer H3 (Not totally interested in an H3 but, I've never driven one and wanted to try it), and the other was an 07 LR3. She disliked the H3, but she loved the LR3. To be honest I wouldn't mind owning one. The idea of me and the wife both having Rovers is pretty exciting.
The LR3 has 110k miles and they are asking 14k. I'm not so sure about financing a vehicle with that high of miles but, if the maintenance records check out, I would consider it. We are really looking to stay under 20k. I'm going to be patient. I want the replacement for my Mustang to be a good one. I also want my wife and kids to have a good vehicle for commuting.

Sorry about the book I wrote but, I felt the back story was important when asking for suggestions.
So, should I investigate further on the Lr3? Or wait awhile and find a better deal? Do I need to stay away from LR3s?

My Dad has a 99 exploder original everything but its one bump away from everything falling off it at 230,000 miles. He found a mechanic early on who knew the 4L v6 and the transmission and has been on my dad about fluids ever since pretty sure thats the only reason the damn thing still runs and moves.

Couple things LR3 is freaking small for 3 narrower than my 2010 OB so no three across option at all and you already have two like me so you know the whole MASSIVE car seat vs space issue already. Three kids? If you count the grand parent I haul around a few times a week + kids you could say I qualify as having three. We sold our mint 93 Landcruiser but not after giving it a try for a couple of years and got a 07 Sequoia. My oldest easily fits passenger side 3rd row and you can easily mount two car seats side by side on the 60% second row bench with pass through ability passenger side for the 3rd row. The LR3 and the Land cruiser both have the same issue two car seats your 3rd row access will be over the seat back or through the rear hatch and if we are talking wifes kid hauling wagon she'll be hitting you over the head and flicking your ears for getting her a vehicle thats hard to load kids into everytime she needs to go some place. She'll threaten "MINI VAN!" so some advice either get serious about a proper 3 seat 3rd row like that found in the Sequoia, Yukon etc or get a wide enough platform to go 3 across in the 2nd row. Our 2010 OB we can crow bar three across into it when needed. The Sequoia we can easily do three across in the 2nd row.

Good friend has a LR3 nice truck but he only has two kids and they are bursting at the seams no way it will work for three. If you want to stick with as much off road ability go wider!!! Think bigger Ranger Rover or the newer Land Cruiser which are wide enough to run 3 side by side but be warned as a daily driver around town your mileage will be in the 13-14mpg range. The sequoia is 15mpg around town and we typically see 17 or 18ish on road trips.

sydneyman

Observer
i love my classic. but the thought of my wife having to deal with a rover's idiosyncrasies terrifies me. she drives a german car. it all depends on your wife's level of understanding/patience.

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
This all great info. She loves the Range Rovers as well. She doesn't want a minivan so I'm safe from that. She is also very patient. I know she wants to drive something that people will look at and will make her feel good going down the road. She's not very materialistic but, she did go back to school and get her degree and wants something to show for it. We also want off road capability for camping, mountain biking, overlanding, etc.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Also to throw it out there, the up to 2012 Explorers are also good vehicles. Of course don't get one that was a rental car.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Check hip space numbers on that 2nd row and check the split factor if its a 50/50 2nd row split your third if they are in the 3rd row is climbing over the 2nd row or going in the back hatch. When I was looking it seemed like all the narrower rigs were doing 50/50 2nd row splits vs the 60/40. For example the Lexus GX, The Land Cruiser etc were all doing 50/50 which means two kids seats 2nd row you had no flip down seat ability left. Vs the 60/40 in the wider rig you can mount two side by side car seats and still have a flip down section for 3rd row access.

I leave half the 3rd row out and we can fit our large dog crate for the Doberman in next to my oldest seated in the other half of the 3rd row. Leaves us quite a bit of room still can squeeze the old school metal coleman cooler in back there on the floor with the dog crate. I often try to pack them 2nd row if its a no trailer trip but if we have two grandparents going we do the 3rd row set up with trailer. The LC would have been trailer and roof packed solid every time and my oldest resting her feet on grandpas ears sitting in front of her in the 2nd row.

Not sure how old your kids are but my 6yr old's new seat is just stupid. The seat alone weighs 25lbs!!! I swear she's going to be riding in that thing till she's a Jr in Highschool.

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
Also to throw it out there, the up to 2012 Explorers are also good vehicles. Of course don't get one that was a rental car.
Seeing as the car she has been driving is a 2004 Explorer, I know she won't be interested in another. I'll keep it in mind though.
Check hip space numbers on that 2nd row and check the split factor if its a 50/50 2nd row split your third if they are in the 3rd row is climbing over the 2nd row or going in the back hatch. When I was looking it seemed like all the narrower rigs were doing 50/50 2nd row splits vs the 60/40. For example the Lexus GX, The Land Cruiser etc were all doing 50/50 which means two kids seats 2nd row you had no flip down seat ability left. Vs the 60/40 in the wider rig you can mount two side by side car seats and still have a flip down section for 3rd row access.

I leave half the 3rd row out and we can fit our large dog crate for the Doberman in next to my oldest seated in the other half of the 3rd row. Leaves us quite a bit of room still can squeeze the old school metal coleman cooler in back there on the floor with the dog crate. I often try to pack them 2nd row if its a no trailer trip but if we have two grandparents going we do the 3rd row set up with trailer. The LC would have been trailer and roof packed solid every time and my oldest resting her feet on grandpas ears sitting in front of her in the 2nd row.

Not sure how old your kids are but my 6yr old's new seat is just stupid. The seat alone weighs 25lbs!!! I swear she's going to be riding in that thing till she's a Jr in Highschool.
They are 8, 4, and 3 months. A third row or at least a wide back seat is a must for us.

series 1

I think since you have the Disco you don't necessarily need this new vehicle to be off road friendly. I say go with a Toyota Rav4. My wife's has ~120k miles and we have had it since new. So far all I have had to do is replace the battery and front brake pads. Can't beat Toyota for reliability. Some came with a 3rd row too. And you can get a good used one for way under your 20k budget.

roverandom

Adventurer
I have three kids and they fit in our LR3 just fine?

It's no Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban but it's very good for its size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IthrowWrenches

Adventurer
I think since you have the Disco you don't necessarily need this new vehicle to be off road friendly. I say go with a Toyota Rav4. My wife's has ~120k miles and we have had it since new. So far all I have had to do is replace the battery and front brake pads. Can't beat Toyota for reliability. Some came with a 3rd row too. And you can get a good used one for way under your 20k budget.
Good point. The final decision will be hers though. She likes L322 Range Rovers as well. I've come across some decently priced examples with maintenance history. She likes JKs too(also becoming affordable). I'm down with another interesting vehicle if she wants it. Could be worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier