New to the overland world!

monodraken

Hello everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully get some insight on my build that I plan on starting here soon.
I'm new to the overland community however not to Ram! Owned a few dodge trucks in the past, couple gassers and a couple diesels.
My current truck (which I plan on keeping for awhile) is a 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Crew Cab Short Bed Laramie in Delmonico Red Pearl. After reviewing and reading through some of ya'lls builds and sharing the love for the outdoors, a new passion of mine is to start this as soon as possible! However, I do not know much about the equipment other than the obvious. I believe the first things i would like to find/buy is a bed rack and roof top tent. Just looking fo some suggestions everyone might have based on their experiences in completing this type of build with a Ram of course. Thank you and happy to be apart of this community!

My current set up:

Thuren 2.75" Coils
Thuren Front & Rear Track Bar
Thuren King 2.5 Shocks all around
King Steering Dampener
Thuren Sway Bar
1" Rear Air Bag Extension Links
325/60/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
XD820 20x9 0 Offset
Morimoto xB Headlights
Bakflip Revolver X2 tonneau cover
AEV Front/Rear Mud Flaps

phsycle

Adventurer
Good looking Ram.

Regarding a bed rack. Make sure this is what YOU need—don’t get one because most show trucks at Overland Expo was sporting one. I had one and didn’t work for me. I’d rather have a high rise shell instead. Large, weather proof storage and you can sleep in it as well.

Your truck is pretty well set up already. Quality suspension. Nice tires (although I’d have gone 17 or 18” for more sidewall). Add a shell, and if you want an RTT on top, you’re pretty much good to go.

D45

Explorer
Nice truck.......But I am surprised you're running a stiff 20" sidewall tire with such a nice suspension

monodraken

Good looking Ram.

Regarding a bed rack. Make sure this is what YOU need—don’t get one because most show trucks at Overland Expo was sporting one. I had one and didn’t work for me. I’d rather have a high rise shell instead. Large, weather proof storage and you can sleep in it as well.

Your truck is pretty well set up already. Quality suspension. Nice tires (although I’d have gone 17 or 18” for more sidewall). Add a shell, and if you want an RTT on top, you’re pretty much good to go.
I’m not sure I’m always going to want a shell. Also if I were to be honest, I’m my opinion I like the style and accessibility of a bed rack. With being able to mount stuff on the outside.
As for the wheels go, I know I know. I wanted 17s or 18s to begin with but the wheels I wanted weren’t in stock at the time. These were a second option.

Nice looking truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you !

Nice truck.......But I am surprised you're running a stiff 20" sidewall tire with such a nice suspension
Thank you! And yeah like I stated in the above quote, not my first choice..

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Love the color dude!

I'll shill for Leitner Designs. If you're looking for a modular open air rack where the support bars are above the level of the cab, its one of the best choices you could make.

monodraken

How long have you had the Morimoto headlights? How do you like them? Reliable?

I've had the headlights for a few months now, since December 2019. I have no issues with them, amazing lights and build quality. Light output is excellent and couldn't be more pleased with the aesthetics. I've retrofitted a few myself but took the easier way out this time. Got them when they were on sale too so not to bad.

Love the color dude!

I'll shill for Leitner Designs. If you're looking for a modular open air rack where the support bars are above the level of the cab, its one of the best choices you could make.

Thank you!
I'll have to give them a look. Do you know if it will work with a tonneau cover perhaps?

tdferrero

Good looking truck.
+1 for what most have said, research everything you think you need, then research again. Unless it's on sale - then buy it now and see if it works later.

monodraken

Thank you!
I've been looking at kb Voodo racks. Seems to have one that works with a tonneau cover. As far as tent goes I was thinking Tuff Stuff Alpha hard top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz