New to Solar and may be a stupid question

DCH109

Adventurer
So here is my setup.
2020 Ram 2500 with the upgraded 220 amp alternator.
I have a 1969 Alaskan Camper 8' Non Cab Over (NCO) that is in the process of some upgrades.

The Alaskan will not not have propane at all as a fixture in the camper. for cooking, heat and hot water, I have other plans.
The old fridge was removed and replaced with a Dometic 2.8 cu ft (78L) fridge (this will be the biggest draw). All LED lighting and at times charging my iPad or phone.
Per Dometic the fridge is a 48W power consumption at about 5.6 amps. they do not say minute, hour day week or whatever. The fridge was chosen due to the size and the ability to be out for 2 weeks alone, or 3 days with 2 kids. Food here is a factor as my 13yo eats like he has not had food for months.

I wanted the camper power to be a separate unit from the truck, except for the running lights when driving. Meaning the truck would not charge the camper batteries when moving. Shore power will be available if needed.
I have a portable Solar unit (120 watt) already.

The question would be the following:
What would I need for Solar and power. I was thinking a 200W unit with 2 house batteries. This would be on the roof, with the portable unit used if needed on longer trips.
I was thinking of a DC-DC charger, but I am trying to reduce my overall cost and complexity.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I have a big 12V fridge/freezer, I think it draws 60w when it's running.

A 160w flexible panel and a single deep cycle 12v have no trouble keeping up with it day after day with no other inputs. No desire to add alternator charging if that's my main load, with charging some gadgets on the side.

I do pay attention to short runs of wiring and fat wire to maximize low voltage efficiency.

The fridge uses a lot more power (runs more mins per hour) if part of it is in freezer mode but the single panel will still keep up.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Higher or lower you go in Latitude ie away from the hot places the lower your solar take. So that may or may not matter.

Did I see you mention heat as in electric heat? Cuz heat and electricity are like enemies there is no efficient way to heat camper space with electricity. Having said that! My $90 induction hot plate is awesome but it pulls 2000watts on full high speed boil however it takes like 3 minutes to reach boil. Burgers cook easily at 6 which is like 1200-1300 watts. So with decent battery capacity and enough solar induction cooker is a smart call.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a big 12V fridge/freezer, I think it draws 60w when it's running.

A 160w flexible panel and a single deep cycle 12v have no trouble keeping up with it day after day with no other inputs. No desire to add alternator charging if that's my main load, with charging some gadgets on the side.

I do pay attention to short runs of wiring and fat wire to maximize low voltage efficiency.

The fridge uses a lot more power (runs more mins per hour) if part of it is in freezer mode but the single panel will still keep up.
Good to know thanks! and good real life info.
The freezer section would not be used much if at all and is removable if I want so that is easy enough. I may only use it when out with the kids. my longer journeys I have yet to need one.
I used a chest fridge for some time camping, but that was in a FJ Cruiser with dual batteries and a RTT. I am going more comfort now.

DCH109

Adventurer
Higher or lower you go in Latitude ie away from the hot places the lower your solar take. So that may or may not matter.

Did I see you mention heat as in electric heat? Cuz heat and electricity are like enemies there is no efficient way to heat camper space with electricity. Having said that! My $90 induction hot plate is awesome but it pulls 2000watts on full high speed boil however it takes like 3 minutes to reach boil. Burgers cook easily at 6 which is like 1200-1300 watts. So with decent battery capacity and enough solar induction cooker is a smart call.
I like the hotplate idea. I was looking at Butane stoves as well, but I am not sold on them what so ever.
The heat is a simple Coleman catalytic heater. that is portable and uses the green bottles, I used a tent and RTT for years and never needed a heater, so I am not overly worried about needing one now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne