new to mitsubishi group

bikerjosh

Explorer
So I drilled three holes in the sides through the thinner sections. Tried using a gear puller to get a bite on it but no luck. Looking for a 3 prong gear puller w/a slide hammer on it, but will need to remove the shock to get clearance.
I still don't understand why this one is so hard to get out. When I replaced this axle prior the whole thing came out I gave it a good tug.

bikerjosh

Explorer
So I drilled three holes in the sides through the thinner sections. Tried using a gear puller to get a bite on it but no luck. Looking for a 3 prong gear puller w/a slide hammer on it, but will need to remove the shock to get clearance.
I still don't understand why this one is so hard to get out. When I replaced this axle prior the whole thing came out I gave it a good tug.

@BOPOH, to drill two 180 degrees from each other you would have to drill through the thickest part (about a 1/2", of hardened material-already scrapped numerous bits). May do that if I can't get it any other way.

BOPOH

Explorer
check this out :D

CV%20Puller.jpg

earljuic3

Adventurer
I'm by no means any sort of expert but I have two thoughts. Have someone weld to it so you can get the leverage you need to pull that bad boy out. I have also seen tuner friends of mine take the passenger CV out and use a brass or copper punch or thin screw driver to tap it out from the other side (I have no idea if this can be done on a Montero).

brad2274

Adventurer
I know its probably obvious and you already know but im saying just incase, when you get ready to yank hard on it, make sure its on solid jacks with extra blocks incase you pull it off the stand, and try to avoid being in the wheel well.

bikerjosh

Explorer
CV update Good news/Bad news

With the aid of a home made slide-hammer (thanks Youtube) got the stuck part of the axle out.
Here is where the cv axle wasn't lovin' it on the trail. Hey, where did my balls go? :sombrero:
aftermarket%20cv_zpsmyxytizv.jpg

Now the bad news, when it came out, only about a third of the snap ring came out the other 2/3 are down in the diff.
cv%20and%20tool_zpsycoe0n6v.jpg

Don't suppose I can pretend I didn't see the missing snap ring? What are my options here?
thanks

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
Don't suppose I can pretend I didn't see the missing snap ring? What are my options here?
thanks

The snap ring is pretty small and likely wouldn't cause much if any resistance going through the teeth of the gears.

Perhaps drop a magnet on a strong line into diff and hope you catch the broken ring? Or put a magnet into the diff so it'll catch particles?

bikerjosh

Explorer
Regarding the magnet should it be affixed to the drain plug? Is the diff oil likely to get hot enough to reduce the magnet's power over time? I do have some dime size rare earth magnets in my tool box. My buddy suggested just pulling off the diff cover and be done with it; after replacing the gasket etc.
Going to drain the diff after I get the new axle in, and see if I can't fish it out with a probe, magnet.
Thanks Josh

brad2274

Adventurer
What kind of access can you get taking the diff cover off? now im scared because i have 2 new cv axles to pop in over break and im 100% something wont go my way now

bikerjosh

Explorer
What kind of access can you get taking the diff cover off? now im scared because i have 2 new cv axles to pop in over break and im 100% something wont go my way now

Well you'd be able to see in the non-driveline side , and better able to remove the gears (than w/diff cover on :coffeedrink:) or fish out a busted snap ring.

EmptyOly

Going to drain the diff after I get the new axle in, and see if I can't fish it out with a probe, magnet.
Thanks Josh

Where are you getting the new axles from? I'm still trying to decide on rebuilding stock CV's or buy the aftermarket ones?

Thanks,
Jason

nckwltn

Explorer
How complicated is it to refresh the oem ones yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It takes time to clean out the old grease and swap the boots.... But that's about it..... Assuming they aren't already damaged due to torn boot.

I don't think I've read about anyone breaking an OEM axle.... Its the aftermarket ones that break.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Updates

Ok, thought I better get this thread back to "build thread" and updates to what has been done. BTW-got CV axle back in and swapped a gen 2 transfer case lever in since mine was toast.
back to the build-
So after repairing little nit-picky things, I began adding things to make it mine.

*Started by replacing the interior lights with LED bulbs.

*Added an enclosed powered sub to balance out the highs, with a remote added to the center console.

The re-enforced TC plate I got from KIRK!, needed some friends so my buddy (dieselman) and I started drawing up re-enforcements for front and mid plates. Replaced the broken plastic grill w/expanded metal.
skids_zpsbtgqp8hi.jpg

015_zpsmvummzia.jpg

Designed a transmission skid, currently with Dieselman to cut out.

Started with some fire extinguishers, because I tend to “try this at home”
018_zps92szwtpk.jpg

tiny one in front of seat
019_zps9iuv98gu.jpg

5lb in back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles