new to mitsubishi group

bikerjosh

Explorer
Making some progress

Got some work done yesterday on the Montero.
Hmmm lots of stuff removed
doorguts_zps588c09e1.jpg

Door locks would unlock than lock when pushing the unlock button on transmitter, also when using the key the first cycle.
Took apart the master driver side door lock actuator (read on the internet, it was supposed to e fairly easy to split the case, not what I found), the rubber stops for the lever had turned to glue; very weird. After pulling out the remainder I built up the stops with "shoe goo" and sealed the unti back up with rtv sealant. -seems to work now.
acuator_zps12e15abf.jpg

acuator1_zps24a8ee7b.jpg

Replaced the broken driverside window actuator/motor. Yeah, my driver side window goes down and up w/o pulling off the door panel and wedging a stick in it or pulling it out.
Old on left new on right.
regulators_zpsb09cddf2.jpg

I'm no audiophile, but that factory speaker ain't right on the right.
speaker_zps628bbe8b.jpg

Newly mounted
speaker1_zps9277fa43.jpg

Hoping to wire up the new head unit this morning :wings:

m3at333hp

Adventurer
Nice work, Josh. Those speakers lived a long life. Hopefully it will be ready for the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikerjosh

Explorer
Aftermarket deck installation questions

@dcmontero in the short term: re-enforced tcase skid, sliders, crank down torsion bars to level front with rear.

Aftermarket Stereo wiring questions:
wiringstereo_zpsaf391c11.jpg

Ok, what is the 8 pin plug for? CD changer?
Not sure what the small wire next to the antenna plug is, maybe amp?

Have most of the wiring figured out with exception of these blue wires:
bluewires_zpsb6480677.jpg

Ok, so the lowest one in the pick goes to the 6 pin connector that connects the front/rear rca output jacks (4 channels)
The middle one with the blue tape is an antenna remote or amp remote (according to the writing) coming from the deck I believe this connects to the blue at the top of the picture that plugs into the existing factory harness.

Crap hope this makes sense to someone, been a while since I wired up a stereo.

@nckwltn, maybe still unsure whether this will be traveling to DV in November or the Tundra.
Thanks all for the help.

nckwltn

Explorer
The short version is that you just connect all the blue wires together. The blue wire with the din plug turns on the amp. The blue wire that goes into the factory wiring sends the power antenna up. The blue wire from the stereo provides a few volts to tell the amp and antenna when they need to go into action.

that 8 pin is the cd changer

the two silver male plugs are both antenna. There is the power antenna and there is an antenna in the rear glass. go with the one that fits, it will be the power antenna. I still get really good reception even with the rear glass antenna missing.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Making some progress.
Replaced passenger side rear window regulator, now all four windows roll down. :wings:
Installed new deck, w/ipod controls, Pandora and blue tooth.
002_zps35a91f2e.jpg

Installed an on/off switch for the power antenna, so now I can leave it down when off road or listening to ipod.
003_zps6713cfa2.jpg

Installed a re-enforce tcase skid from KIRK! (thanks again, btw)
004_zps365a3637.jpg

Picked up a slider kit from Chassis Unlimited, but just realized if I'm going to do a body lift, need to do that first before getting the sliders welded on.
Not sure if I should go with a 1 or 1.5 inch lift, (running a OME lift, and need to crank the torsion bars up a bit) - 4crawler is has a 3 week lead time though so I'm running out of time.
Josh

nckwltn

Explorer
haha, I installed the EXACT same head unit.

while the ipod is plugged in, you can press the jog-dial to play/stop, while in bluetooth the jog press = mute... but you can press the lower left most button for play/stop

For reference, I have no body lift and no suspension lift (haven't even cranked torsion bars).... You'll be just fine out there, just need to be careful, and go a bit slower. I was even on 31" tires (worn down to 30s).

bikerjosh

Explorer
haha, I installed the EXACT same head unit.

Pretty funny, maybe I was channeling your rig when I ordered the deck? Still trying to decide what rig is following me to DV? Really want to bring the Tundra, but if I bring the Montero I think I'll be compelled to change the route to include Echo Canyon :coffeedrink:

Cranked the torsion bars to raise/level the front out. For some silly reason I clay barred then waxed it (ok, I felt like spoiling the rig) :smiley_drive: before I subject it to a little offroad pin striping.
mont98_zps7608f7ca.jpg

Wondering how those silver bumper ends and lower rockers would look black?

Last edited:

bikerjosh

Explorer
What is your plan of attack for the valve seals? Is this a easy job with this engine?
Well, there is a video that comes to mind that some wacky dude made :victory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAcXAecJB-k
Sounds, like more time consuming than really tough; "take your time" was the advice I got. If it will pass smog I'll wait a little bit change the valve stem seals. One thing I heard though is the longer you let your valve stem seals go the greater the risk of damaging the cats from the oil coming out through the exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior