New to me.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
If the scope works for you then no need to spend $1000.00 on new glass. You can easily work out the range drop based on the 100 yard point of aim point of impact/

Overlandtowater

You can shoot farther in the woods, just depends on if your hunting from a stand or not and brush density. I’ve shot deer with my muzzleloader at 120 in the woods on the move last year. Tracked it Only 10 yards.
way too much under brush in the bottoms for long shots in the woods around here...I was just up in SD and I could see 100yd in the woods there.

ramatl73

Observer
Thanks. I've been looking at scopes apears the vortex is one of the best for the money, what's your thoughts on those? I doubt I will spend as much on the scope as I did the rifle.
Take a look at the Vortex Vanquish 3-9x40mm. It's a special run for Academy Sports and other big box stores. It's basically a Vortex Diamondback Tactical with turret caps. Has a BDC MOA reticle. Good scope for the money. I picked up one for my son's precision .22LR (overkill I know) from Academy for $99.00 on Black Friday.

Overlandtowater

Take a look at the Vortex Vanquish 3-9x40mm. It's a special run for Academy Sports and other big box stores. It's basically a Vortex Diamondback Tactical with turret caps. Has a BDC MOA reticle. Good scope for the money. I picked up one for my son's precision .22LR (overkill I know) from Academy for $99.00 on Black Friday.
That's the exact one I'm looking at... I also know a guy that gets discounts on Vortex and I can get it at a steal.....

Titan_Bow

Savage 110 and 10's are great rifles, especially from the perspective of a hunting "Tool". Probably one of the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles. I have several, and they are all amazing shooters. A higher quality scope really gives you peace of mind, especially in shorter range hunting scenarios. No worries about scope fogging up, losing zero, not being able to make that last minute low light shot, etc. I like Vortex rifle scopes, again, they are good solid hunting tools. Probably get a lot of glass snobs on the precision rifle scene that say they suck, but for hunting and shot ranges in the 400 yard and less shots, my opinion has been very positive with Vortex. I've got 2 Vortex Viper HS's: 1 on my 270 WSM and 1 on my 6.5CM, and my son's 6.8SPC AR-15 sports a Vortex Diamondback. All of them have always held their zero and have never let us down in hunting situations.
If you like to tinker, this is a good rifle for you. You can re-barrel Savages easily, there are aftermarket stocks, triggers, etc. There's a lot you can do with them.

Overlandtowater

Went out and ran a box through the 270 last weekend and my buddies both had 300 win mags they both had vortex optics one had a $700 scope and the other a $200 scope and me with my Simons.....sighted in at 25 yards and dead on at 200 ish...they wanted to shoot 500 and set up some out of date soup cans... at 250 I could get close but never hit the can. They plugged away at 250 no problem....we moved up to 500 and I couldn't see the can and the cross hair covered the human size target we were shooting. after they each plugged a can I wanted to see if I could atleast hit the target. The box said 42" of drop at 500 and I assumed the target was about 48" fired two rounds and much to my surprise hit center mass twice.....at that point I decided to start looking for a better scope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles