New to me.

Overlandtowater

Just to start I dont know a ton about rifles. Everything I need to hunt I can do with a shotgun but recently I thought I would pick up a rifle. My bro in law said he found a deal on a rifle... he is a deer hunter and he buys alot so I figured he knows enough......and he's cheap so if he said it was a good deal I believed him. He found a savage (I know take em or leave em) 110 chambered in 270 (I know take it or leave it) I was able to pick it up for less than 300. I originally was told it had seven rounds through it from the owner he said there are seven round missing from the box I bought with the gun well after we got everything done and I received the rifle it apears it has only had one round through it the other six are on the butt stock.....he did later say oh yeah I remember putting those there now it hurt his shoulder and wouldn't shoot it anymore due to shoulder surgery. Well was it a good deal or not? received_283284862940651.jpegreceived_1994157030717058.jpeg

robert

Expedition Leader
Yes, I'd say you did good for less than $300. The 110 is a good field rifle, cetainly better than their Axis line,, and Savage's Accutrigger is a good trigger; .270 will do anything you need it to do on this continent. Make sure the barrel is free floated, there are also aftermarket stocks available if needed/wanted. I'd probably start looking for another scope though, I've never been very impressed with Simmons clarity although I'll admit to having two of them. One on a .22 and one sitting in a box I think under the workbench.

Time to bench it and see how it shoots.

Overlandtowater

Thanks. I've been looking at scopes apears the vortex is one of the best for the money, what's your thoughts on those? I doubt I will spend as much on the scope as I did the rifle.

robert

Expedition Leader
I'm no expert on glass by any stretch. The scope on there may work just fine for what you want/need; try it first in the conditions you plan to use it, i.e. dusk/dawn light. As you go up in price you get better light transmission, better clarity, less parallax, more positive adjustment, different reticules, etc. A lot depends on your eyes too. If that one doesn't work for you I'm sure you can find something that works well enough without spending Kahles or Nightforce prices.

Overlandtowater

Just a couple of rounds just to see how well the optics are sighted in. Easy shooting to be honest. Dead on at 100 which is about the farthest I can shoot in the woods.

Overlandtowater

Oh yeah its staying. I don't have many firearms but what I do have I know well, and this one will be easy to get to know....

Overlandtowater

The trigger weight is ridiculously light, it has the acu-trigger and it has to be turned down as low as it can possibly go. It makes me smile every time I squeeze the trigger and its so soft and crisp.

Explorerinil

Observer
Don’t underestimate the .270 win, that’s a very excellent proven round, I hunt wild boars with a .270 and drop them dead in their tract.

vortex makes a great scope, they have the best warranty on the market, just stick with their higher end scopes. For clarity look at German made scopes f you want to drop a ton of cash. I stick with Leopold, vortex and Steiner.

Explorerinil

Observer
Just a couple of rounds just to see how well the optics are sighted in. Easy shooting to be honest. Dead on at 100 which is about the farthest I can shoot in the woods.
You can shoot farther in the woods, just depends on if your hunting from a stand or not and brush density. I’ve shot deer with my muzzleloader at 120 in the woods on the move last year. Tracked it Only 10 yards.

Explorerinil

Observer
I'm no expert on glass by any stretch. The scope on there may work just fine for what you want/need; try it first in the conditions you plan to use it, i.e. dusk/dawn light. As you go up in price you get better light transmission, better clarity, less parallax, more positive adjustment, different reticules, etc. A lot depends on your eyes too. If that one doesn't work for you I'm sure you can find something that works well enough without spending Kahles or Nightforce prices.
A big objective and German glass helps, Burris greatly improved since they bought Steiner optics. I hunt with mainly Leopoldo scopes, I got one vortex viper since I get one hell of a discount for being a police officer and a Steiner, which I now fell in love with. A good place to get a scope online is through a place called camera land ny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles