New (to me) trailer.... tips/advice/suggestions always welcome :)

ccreyeder

Been lurking for about 6 months, drooling over everyone's trailers. Couldnt decide between trailer vs teardrop... DIY vs ready made,... checking classifieds/craigslist, etc

Couple of weeks ago, found a guy selling a home made copy of a morris mule with a RRT already on it for a fair price, so i decided to give it a try!

My observations so far:

I love the idea of a telescoping rack. Keeps my COG low for travel, snags less tree branches, etc. BUT this design is a major PITA. You have to push up on the corners (circled in pic below) in the back a couple of inches, then clamp the vertical with vise grips, walk to the front, lift it a couple of inches, clamp, walk to the back... and so on.... it's not terrible with 2 people, but alone it is a workout. You cant lift too much at a time, or the thing gets in a bind. The horizontal bars that the RTT sits on pivot, so I dont know if that is helping, hurting, or makes no diff. All I know is that by the time I am done, I am drenched in sweat and cursing. Kind of defeats the idea of a RTT and ease of set up lol.. Plus, once fully extended, there is so little of the inner telescoping square tubing that there is some major sway fore and aft and so I have to strap the uprights to some hooks on the tongue for it to be useable.

Looking for suggestions for a fix. I've gone back and forth on the idea of gas struts, linear actuators etc. I would have to modify the uprights, weld on some tabs, etc and while it may help raise/lower the rack, i think I will still have the fore and aft sway. Plus, they would have to the external to the tubing so I dont think I will like the look. I am leaning toward just welding up a fixed height rack and calling it good. Would def be cheaper and easier.

the trailer has a dexter D35 axle with leaf springs over axle. I was orig going to pull the 6 lug hubs and replace them with 5 x 5 hubs, so I could run the same wheel and tire combo as my jeep, but after measuring everything, due to the fenders having a lip on them, I would have to cut the fenders off, mod them and remount in order for my 17" 33s to fit. for now, I will just get a spare tire/rim for the trailer, paint them black and call it a day. Will do the matching thing if and when I do a lift/larger tires on my jeep. It tows great as it is and tracks right behind me like a faithful dog lol..

I think I will take the "doors" of the top and fab up a solid top. Maybe with a short rail around it to form sort of a "cargo basket" The doors are kind of pointless for my situation as the RTT has to be fully extended up to open them and plus they let water in.

Ive been taking it to our hunting lease for some trial runs since we have an RV there and I can use the "mother ship" to determine what gear I do and dont need before flying solo.

I have to say, for a cheap chineese knock off tent, the thing did well in the rain. I purposely took it out 2 weekends ago knowing it was going to storm and it did well. No major leaks, but I did get some seeping from somewhere, so the edges of my matress got wet. I am talking it POURED for several hours. The tent prob wont make it too long, however. Its already having some issues like torn grommets, bolts pulling through the floor etc.

I picked up a tool/utility box from tractor supply to use for a combo battery/power supply set up and storage for straps, wheel chocks, etc..

Best thing about it is that it gets me out in mother nature and enjoying the sight, smells of outdoors!

maiden trip
gtacpIo.jpg

amount of play in upper telescoping tube
LacJzyL.jpg

set up for the night
TU3qGXq.jpg

tongue box
Y0bMaDy.jpg

nice view!
GU3V4ag.jpg

AML

Adventurer
I like the idea of a telescoping rack too. I have an adjustable Thule rack but it isn’t easy to raise when loaded. I have thought about using gas struts on a homemade rack but haven’t made up my mind yet.

dstock

Explorer
I went with linear actuators on ours as even the gas struts was still a struggle getting it up and down. We have a little sway in ours but nothing that makes us feel uncomfortable. Not knowing what size of tubing was used for yours or if it's actual telescopic tubing it's hard to comment on what's causing the sway.

The linear actuators work well for us and you could always adjust the amount of height to keep more tubing in the external tubes if you are removing the lid anyway.

Have fun with the re-build!

ccreyeder

thanks for the tips and advice everyone! If it EVER stops raining here, I'll pull it out and get some better measurements and pix of the telescoping part

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior