New to me Flip Pac

cmcclean

Hello Everybody,

I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the correct place. I just picked up a Flip Pack and am looking for a little help. Let me start at the beginning though...

image.jpegimage1.jpeg

Over the last few years we have traveled OBCDR routes 3 and 5 in a Willys wagon and route 4 on dual sports. We are thinking of doing the WBCDR this summer and were looking for something a little more comfortable that was quick to set up and tear down. I found a used Flip Pac (didn't know it existed until last week) and apparently got a great deal on it. I have to resolve a few small issues.

One: the side windows leak. The guys at Adventure Trailers directed me to Flip Pac directly and I have contacted them. My problem is that I am impatient. Have any of you had to replace these seals? Were you able to source the correct seals frome a standard canopy outlet or did you have to go through Flip Pac?

Two: solid mounting to the truck bed. I know I should just drill and bolt but I can't bring myself to do it. The truck just went through a frame off restoration and I just can't drill. I was thinking of bolting through the stake pockets but, there are only three of them per side. Would this be a good enough seal? I could use clamps, but I hear they dont stay stable for offroad use. I won't drill the bed but I'll go off-road... maybe my priorities are wrong. Any suggestions? I know I'm asking for a magic solution but your comments would be appreciated.

Hawkz

Adventurer
My flippac is on a 6.5' bed, but the 3 bolts per side have held it in place great. (I have not done any hard trails with it.) I think 3 bolts per side on the long bed should be OK. I had a hard time drilling my truck, so I know how you feel. You should be able to make something work with the stake pockets. My concern with using the clamps was it might tear up the fiberglass as the top flexed. The bolts with big flat washers seems solid.

Also, check where the rear lift glass/frame touches the tailgate. I put a piece of foam/rubber along the metal to keep from scratching the paint on the tailgate.

brian90744

American Trekker
F/P help

When you say side window leaks, is it leaking between the window frame and the fiberglass?DYI fix. Or is the leak between the frame and glass? Replace window. Mounting the F/P = Clamps work good if you check them now and then. Bolts are positive, make sure you get a good or better seal between the Flip-Pac and truck bed. I dont see any bed support brackets at the hood. Enjoy it. = brian

cmcclean

Hawkz, thanks for the input. I think I will try the stake pocket thing first. Funny you mention the tailgate, I already have a small rub mark from the drive home (230 mi from where I bought it).

Brian90744, I think it's leaking from the side sliders, the outer seal seems to have shrunk, one side has over an inch gap. It's all pushed into the groove just too short now. I have the support brackets just havent installed them yet.

Thanks about the truck it's been in the family since new. I think this is the 4th time i've owned it but it wasn't as pretty the other times.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
Hawkz, thanks for the input. I think I will try the stake pocket thing first. Funny you mention the tailgate, I already have a small rub mark from the drive home (230 mi from where I bought it).

Brian90744, I think it's leaking from the side sliders, the outer seal seems to have shrunk, one side has over an inch gap. It's all pushed into the groove just too short now. I have the support brackets just havent installed them yet.

Thanks about the truck it's been in the family since new. I think this is the 4th time i've owned it but it wasn't as pretty the other times.

Beautiful '72, I drove a '72 GMC for many years, great simple trucks.

matt s

Explorer
I use the clamps on my topper for my 71 blazer. No issues offroad. I use six of them. I would recommend using some angle iron down the length of the bed along the edges between the clamps and the flippack edge to spread the load and prevent extra strain on the fiberglass. I don't like drilling either.

Someday I am going to luck into the full size short bed flippack to custom fit on my blazer. Sure looks good on your rig.

cmcclean

That would be a cool set up on a Blazer. If you did it right you could just pass through to the back. If you got real fancy you could modify it so you could "flip" it from the inside (electric motor, chain drive maybe).

I like the angle iron idea, I could get a better seal and wouldn't crush the fiberglass at the clamp.

matt s

Explorer
That would be a cool set up on a Blazer. If you did it right you could just pass through to the back. If you got real fancy you could modify it so you could "flip" it from the inside (electric motor, chain drive maybe).

I like the angle iron idea, I could get a better seal and wouldn't crush the fiberglass at the clamp.

Yeah I planned on the pass through, and have ideas about how to beef up the area around the opening. I hadn't thought about opening from inside. That might win the lazy award!

The blazer uses a similar idea as the angle iron from the factory. It's chromed strips of metal for looks but serves the same function of spreading the load. You might look for angle aluminum for corrosion and weight reasons. Also it would look nice.

matt s

Explorer
Oh yeah. I would assume the flippac has it but if not a strip of neoprene with 3m backing (stick to the fiberglass not your rig) seals amazingly well.

If you are going to leave it on for a while rope caulk work awesome too. I did that before I got the neoprene. It Can take a bit to remove after a while, although a rag with solvent worked pretty easily.

billy bee

Adventurer
Welcome to the cadre of FP owners here. You are certainly in the right place. Thats a great set-up that I am sure you'll enjoy.

I like the idea of mounting using the stake pockets. I think you could design something custom that would bolt the FP into the pockets using some form of cam bolt or wedges. As you tighten the bolts, a cam would lodge in the pocket or a wedge would press outward into the wall of the stake pocket. Three should be enough. I wouldn't think clamps are a good idea; the FP is heavier than most shells and the bed will twist considerably in off-roading situations. I could see the FP walking along the bed rails during the repeated twisting motion that occurs while you are cross-axle'd.

I have replaced the solid front window in mine. The new window (a slider) came with gasket material. I bet you can buy the gasket material from any place that sells truck toppers and camper shells. You could probably buy it from Home Depot...

It is an easy job to remove the slider, replace the gasket, and replace the slider. The hardware is usually pretty crappy, however. So, be careful when removing the self-tappers; the heads will break off.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing more about your adventures in FlipPacking...

bb

cmcclean

Matt S
I was thinking more of stopping to make a sandwich on a rainy day but, lazy is just a nice side effect. I might try the rope caulk I do not plan on taking it back off any time soon and we get a lot of rain on my side of Oregon.

Billy Bee
Thanks for the welcome. I'm heading to a canopy shop this weekend so will post if I find a stock seal that will fit. The nice thing is my stake pockets have a hole in the bottom of them. I think if I can fab a plate for the top of the pocket to keep the bolt centered I would have a stable mount that would keep the FP from creeping. I hope to have the FP solidly mounted and water tight before the end of the weekend.

cmcclean

Just a quick update. I got it all mounted and hopefully water tight. I ended up just drilling the bed. The stake pocket holes were too far off from the original flippac holes but too close to them to leave enough meat on the fiberglass to make me comfortable. On closer inspection the windows were leaking between the frame and the fiberglass so I just popped them out and siliconed them. Billy Bee is right about the screws probibly 1/2 of them broke off when removing them.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94