New to me Disco II!

Maddmatt

Explorer
So I think I found my unicorn!

I'm old enough and have been around long enough that several several 'Classic' 4X4's have passed through my garage, including:
'77 Scout SSII - First car
'81 Hilux Longbed - Introduction to Overlanding. Called it camping back then, had a Brahma topper, mattress and a cooler.
'76 FJ40 - 'nuff said
'89 FJ62 - Loved this truck and it's 'acre of sheet metal' hood - made even the easiest trails a fun challenge
'96 4-Runner - Electric Diff Lock, and everything worked perfect when I traded it in with 289K
'10 Xterra SE - Truly believe this is a classic in the making, and will probably be with me forever...

But yesterday I found the marque that had eluded me - my first Rover. 2001 DiscoII - 132k on it, and one of the cleanest used cars I've ever seen. Has all the good toys and none of the bad (no airbags in the back), both sunroofs work, in fact all the buttons, lights and toys work.
left side.jpg

Not a scratch on it, one documented owner with all factory recommended services showing up on the carfax, plus new heated windscreen (see what I did there, talking all Britishy?) new valve cover gaskets, new power steering pump all within the last six months.

Inside looks great too

Inside front.jpg

inside right.jpg

back seat.jpg

Has intermittent 3-Amigos, but that can be taken care of at anytime, this will be a grocery getter/ drive the kids to school mobile for a year or so - planning to hand it over to my oldest when she turns 16 next summer, which gives me the winter to get any gremlins out of it.

Complete checkup by my local Landrover dealer this morning confirmed that it's solid - slight coolant leak which appears to be coming from the radiator, which the original owner swears he still has paperwork and warranty on the replacement (last fall) - previous owner promises aren't worth the paper they aren't printed on, but so far everything else he's said has been accurate, so we'll see. In any case, been driving it around yesterday and today in 90+ temps and gauge has stayed solid, with no visible loss of coolant - just the slight smell.

Worst cosmetic damage is the driver's side headlight squirter, but it still works.
nozzle.jpg

So wanted to say thanks to everybody on this forum - I don't contribute too terribly often, but used several links I found here to educate myself prior to the purchase, so at least I knew (I think) what I was getting into. I went into it with my eyes open enough that I was able to plan to sink a couple grand into right away, which will either be the radiator or the 3 amigos, depending on how the warranty works out. If I learn anything useful on the way I'll be sure to post it to give back a little - all the free information is appreciated.

Hopefully the two trucks get along....
both.jpg

That's it for now!

kcabpilot

Observer
Find out where that coolant leak is coming from and get it fixed. Do not trust the temperature gauge, it is buffered and will remain dead center until the temp hits about 240F at which point it will begin to climb. The over temp light comes on at 260. Get either an Ultragauge or an app called torque for your phone and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle to monitor temp as well as many other uses. Don't let the engine overheat, it can lead to severe problems. The old Rover V8 is the weak point on these, too bad we never got the TD5 diesels like the rest of the world. It will work but you need to keep an eye on it.

3 Amigos is very likely the embedded circuit board in the ABS module. It's not really a "circuit board" just two traces to conduct the single circuit from the main connector to the inner plug and through the two shuttle valve switches underneath and back to ground. The way to fix this is called the "bypass option" and can be done without disconnecting any brake lines or buying any parts. It doesn't bypass any of the function, it just runs the two shuttle valve wires externally to the connector and bypasses the embedded circuit board. There is a very good document about this which explains how to analyze and do the fix, do a search for "3 amigos bypass" and you'll find it.

A mod you will probably want to do is to connect the center differential lock which your 2001 probably has but was not hooked up as BMW (LR owner at the time) decided, for one reason or another, that it wasn't needed with the electronic traction control. There are a number of ways to enable it, I simply installed a transfer case lever from a D1 but best option is probably to try find a lever from an '04 model if you can.

The Disco has some uniquely endearing qualities, I've had mine for over ten years and I'm never letting it go.

Last edited:

Maddmatt

Explorer
No mods planned, I like to keep things as stock as possible. Will be replacing the ridiculous after market stereo with something that has more function and less "laser light show", but not until the mechanicals are done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz