New (to me) 98 Taco!

Klierslc

Explorer
Well,

Since my T100 has made the rounds from my mother in law, to my sister, to my brother, to my niece, to a guy back in my home town, it seems like it is a safe bet that I won't be getting it back. I wanted something inexpensive with a manual transmission as the kids are starting to drive and they need a manual to learn on. It is also nice to have a truck around for home improvement projects, dump runs etc. Also, the 80 is in need of some down time for maintenance so this will make a good backup DD.

The truck is a 98 4x4, 2.7 4 cyl, 5 speed with 305,000 miles....that is not a typo--it runs great and the only thing on the truck that shows its age is the driver's seat. It is in ok shape but the padding is almost gone. The PO hit a deer and a tree so you can see by the pics that I have a bit of body work to do. However, there is no rust at all! Pics to follow and then a quick list of maintenance projects. not bad for 2k!
00909_ajzs6ihMnJR_1200x900.jpg00h0h_jJQ4h3VqQzb_1200x900.jpg00A0A_lgrr8PI8tjp_1200x900.jpg

Yes, that is an e-locker switch that you see!

Current needs:

Front bumper
PS headlight and marker light
windshield washer resevoir
Carrier bearing for rear drive shaft

Future projects:

Baseline fluids
new shocks
Investigate why the header is making it throw o2 sensor codes
pound out some dents
new tires
better seats from a junkyard or part out.

Questions:

Anything specific on these trucks that needs checked?
Best easy mods? I won't be wheeling it hard so no lift or armor but I like tweaking things here and there.
With 300k+ and a pretty good service history, should I bother with measuring the timing chain since it doesn't make any noise?

Thanks folks!

Dan

montypower

Adventure Time!
Don't touch the motor. You can get a low mile unit for around $1k. Change oil and run till it dies. Pulling apart an old motor has never worked out well for me $$$.

I love my 1998! :)

Klierslc

Explorer
No timing belt on the 3rz...Timing chain!

The front end was recently gone through in order to pass Virginia inspection and is pretty tight. The rear end has some wobbles though. I think I'll need some new spring bushings at a minimum

Klierslc

Explorer
I've had over 300k on a 22r a few years back--No plans on tearing into it unless something needs attention to keep it running. As long as the timing chain is quiet, I think it will be fine.

thezentree

pretend redneck

I fail at reading comprehension and assumed 5VZ! Oops... :coffee:

The LBJs are a known weak point on these trucks and failure means the knuckle comes off and the wheel gets folded back into the fender. It happened to my buddy's 97 Tacoma and it broke a ton of stuff, even at low speed. It's obviously your call, but you should do a search for tacoma ball joint failure if you're not familiar with this issue.

Either way, keep updating this thread!

BajaSurfRig

I second replacing the LBJ's with Toyota factory parts. These can fail you at anytime and will cause a ton of damage if it happens at any speed. These first gen trucks are the best enjoy!

Klierslc

Explorer
LBJs checked out fine but I'll keep an eye on them. Pounded out some dents and replaced the busted headlights and busted bumper
sketch-1517352307645.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier